Pump system: What I cobbled together

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

phreon
CBoats Addict

Pump system: What I cobbled together

Post by phreon »

I figured it was about time I cobbled together a pump system. I don't see it as a crutch, but something that'll allow me to put more energy into practicing instead of pumping. Let's face it, I'm gonna flip.

Maybe I could have bought something pre-built cheaper, but where's the fun in that?

Here's a picture of the various parts (they're crappy celphone pix):

In the photo are:

Rule 1100 Pump
Werker 2.3 Ah AGM battery (Batteries plus)
Sealed SPDT switch (Digikey CKN1461-ND)
Switch boot (Digikey 335-1037-ND)
Cable gland (Digikey 377-1631-ND)
Blade Fuse holder from Radio Shack
3 feet of 1 in. ID tube (Home Depot)
Female Spades (Home Depot)
Heat shrink tube (Home Depot)
6 feet of 16x3 cable (Home Depot)
2 conductor water resistant connector (for towing)
4 conductor " " " "
Otterbox 3500 (Amazon)

All connections are soldered, individually heat shrink tubed. The bundles are tubed as well.

Completed system. The two prong connector at the pump is for a float switch should I decide to add one.

Close up of the box's interior. I'll and foam chunks to pad the battery.

The entire system floating in the tub.

Dry as a bone inside. The pump completely empties my full tub (40 gal?) in 3 minutes flat.

Crappy hand drawn schematic.

In the short term, I figure I'll strap the box to the front of my saddle with an old, cut down boat strap. The exit tube will be velcro strapped to a rear thwart. I'll get creative with hypalon, bungee, velcro and glue to contain the cable and pump.

Doug
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

thanks phreon and

Post by oc1paddlr »

how much does this cost and weigh? i'v always been a dumper, but to keep up with the group at alf, i think i want a pump (that was sad to type)
paddlr
red boat ready
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

The Rock Dump Technique is faster than a pump...

I recommend elbow pads to learn.
Try a spin before you get to the (ideally flat) rock and roll up onto your onside, reach for the eddy and use hipsnap and your fingers on the rock to tilt over and dump the water out. If you are really full you sometimes have to dump once, float closer and dump again.

It is a timing deal combined with flexibility. It's fun when you can make it look smooth.

If you are working on rock spins, you can practice the rock dump when you dry out on a rock: Rock dump, then push yourself back up and continue the spin now that you are light and dry.
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

The battery box barely teetered the bathroom scale on 3.5 lbs. The pump is light enough that it doesn't register. I don't have a precision scale around here.

I'll have to go through the receipts, but I'm thinking about $120 for the whole kit. Had I ordered most things from a single supplier, I could have cut the price down a bit; I've been piecemealing parts. I already have a charger, so it's a factor to consider.

Yeah, sometimes it's easier to dump, but I've already been in spots where there's just no good place or would take too long to get to shore. I figure the pump'll come in handy while learning to roll and getting the sidesurf down. The goal is to never need it. I don't plan on needing a seat belt either, but I wear one anyway.

Doug
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

If you're useing a sealed lead acid battery (sla) there's no need for the dry box. And as far as the rest of the connections, you don't really have to waterproof anything unless you're picky or a neat freak. I'm sure you've already got it slapped together but it's just a suggestion that may come in handy for in the future river repairs or new set-ups. Just my .02 cents. Welcome to the OC pump world.
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
iRolled
BlackFly Canoes

Post by iRolled »

Oh yeah. Eli, I'll have to try that onside dump technique. You blew my mind dude. Let's face it, pumps just go out sometimes, so you have to revert to the old ways or go to plan B and do the E-dump. (Eli's dump).
Team Blackfly
http://www.blackflycanoes.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.astraldesigns.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.immersionresearch.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Re: thanks phreon and

Post by Todhunter »

oc1paddlr wrote:how much does this cost and weigh? i'v always been a dumper, but to keep up with the group at alf, i think i want a pump (that was sad to type)
I can build you a battery / switch enclosure, Steve. Give me a shout.
phreon
CBoats Addict

Overkill

Post by phreon »

Admittedly, my system is overkill. Yes, I *am* a picky about it. The switch and wiring don't need to be waterproof, but this way it'll outlast my boat if not me. An unsealed switch or crimped connections *will* eventually fail in a wet environment. It's also why skipping a fuse is absolutely unacceptable. I prefer not to accept planned failure or having to build things more than once.

The main reason I used the box is so the the system can be self contained and I don't have to permanently install any switches or wiring in my boat. Just strap the box (and cable) in place and I'm ready to go; the control is right between my legs.

Doug
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

the dump method eli outlined does work very well. after a while, on rivers you boat frequently, you'll get to know where all the good dump rocks are. i like a rock thats mostly flat on top, with a gradual slope to it, starting underwater and finishing above. then i just tilt a bit, and slide onto the rock sideways. :D
Joe
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I'm thinking the rock dump is more of a PE boat move...
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

sbroam wrote:I'm thinking the rock dump is more of a PE boat move...
Nah, I used to do it in the borrowed rodeo I started with, and still do it in my 'Lude (it's an old RX one from sauvage).
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
Einar
CBoats Addict

"Fire in the hole"

Post by Einar »

I use a Rule 1100 on 2.3 ah sealed lead acid batteries but I just let all the connections hang in the water. I take the battery out for charging in the shop but... in a rush to get in the water at the putin I short circuited the connections. Hilarious sight of smoke coming out of a beached canoe as the cheap lamp cord cooked.
Fire in the Hole, fire in the Hole!

Shouldn't tell you this but a good story outranks pride everytime.

Reversed male/female butt connections made the system proof against desire to paddle overcoming desire to wire. The trailer connections look like a good idea too.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

sbroam wrote:I'm thinking the rock dump is more of a PE boat move...
Agreed. I had a royalex boat once. I tried the rock dump & the rock cut through the colored part of the boat.
bambam
C Guru

Post by bambam »

swimingmexican wrote: ... Welcome to the OC pump world.
I admire your courage for saying something like that in front of Louie. (And, apparently, within shooting distance.)

Agreed on the non-need for waterproof connections, been doing it for years but NOT in saltwater. My 79 cent light switch from Lowes has been doing the job for years but I will admit one temporary failure there. One day it wouldn't fire up the pumps until a ten-year-old kid turned it on and off ten times and then it was fine. I may have to invest another 79 cents, just to be safe.

The major component missing in your system is the second pump. Twin Attwood V-1250's, baby. Eat my bilge purge!

Sorry, got carried away there.

The second pump weighs next to nothing, runs off the same battery which lasts all day, and cuts the REALLY FULL TO THE GUNNELS pump out time in half.

Have fun running the meat from time to time,

Ken
mr ray
C Guru

Post by mr ray »

Hey BamBam,
Whats the Amp rating on your battery? And how much usage do you get with the twin 1250's? Just curious.
Ray