Grand Canyon canoe aerial loop

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Grand Canyon canoe aerial loop

Post by Jim Michaud »

No s---. There I was, entering Waltenberg Rapid in the Grand Canyon at 17,000 cfs farther left than I wanted to. I hit a very steep and very tall wave with so much speed that I was launched high into the air. While soaring through the air the canoe turned upside down while it continued to arc forward. I was falling straight down nose first with the top of the canoe facing upstream when I landed on the upstream face of the next wave. I threw in a strong low brace which helped me go backwards up the wave and I was able to spin the canoe around at the top of the wave. From there I was able to merrily cruise up and down the rest of the wave train. The amazing thing is that I didn't take on a bit of water during the flip and only a little bit during the rest of the run. I sure would have liked to have had the flip on video!

Jim
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

So Jim

In March you claimed you were giving up the hard stuff. lol I didn't know you meant you were going to become a pioneer in big water rodeo. SOOOOOOO COOOOOL
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Re: Grand Canyon canoe aerial loop

Post by sbroam »

Jim Michaud wrote:No s---. There I was...
Ain't that how the best stories always start?
Kev
Pain Boater

Post by Kev »

that would have been awesome to witness!
LEW
C Guru

Post by LEW »

Looks like there was a witness?
http://www.npmb.com/cms2/forum_viewtopic.php?4.73572

LEW
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

OK, that's kewl!

Post by ChrisKelly »

And here I am freaking out that I won't be able to handle the Canyon in october.
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

And here I am freaking out that I won't be able to handle the Canyon in october.
Chris, The water will be lower in October which will make negotiating the rapids easier. Besides, I'll E-mail you a rapid by rapid description of the driest canoe routes of all the rapids just as soon as I finish updating it.

Jim
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

As I have said many times,

Post by ChrisKelly »

You are the man!
bushpaddler
C Guru

Post by bushpaddler »

Jim Michaud wrote: Besides, I'll E-mail you a rapid by rapid description of the driest canoe routes of all the rapids just as soon as I finish updating it.

Jim
Jim,

I'm thinking about going to the Grand C too, not this year but one of the next. May I get this description, too? Would be good to read one from an open canoe guy and I won't be able to dig one out here on my side of the pool.

Thx
Florian
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Darn Jim - I wish I could have seen that! Heck I'd like to just get ON that water. How about providing the description to cboats of the dry run and maybe we can store it off somewhere for others!
Nice to see others saw it and can confirm it! 8)
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Sounds more like a down river pan-am than loop- but still way cool. Of course you didn't take on any water, it all drains out when you invert. I believe this is the key to WW freestyle canoing. :lol: