Rolling!!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

msupple

Rolling!!

Post by msupple »

Hello All!
I have a friend who's new to C1ing and we're looking for a good online description on how to do the notorious C1 roll. Can anyone point us in the right direction? His friends are really growing tired of fishing him out all the time! PLease! :D
Cone Bone
C Guru

Search here, for "rolling"

Post by Cone Bone »

Use the search function for this site, and you should find plenty of info and videos on how to roll a c-boat.

WHere

Post by Guest »

Where are you located - maybe someone can help out with one on one? Let us know!
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Post by NZMatt »

I believe there was a Kent Ford video that was very good. You can also (shock horror, believe it or not) use a high brace (kayak) roll to roll a C1. It isn't recommended as it puts far more strain on your shoulders, but it might help in a pinch if you can find absolutely no one to help with the C1 (low brace) roll. One of the kayakers could show him and help him out. As a kayaker who converted, I can attest to the usefulness of this roll in a C1 (just DON'T even think of using it in an open boat! Way too much strain on the shoulder).

To adjust the kayak roll for a C1 all that changes is one of your hands is on a t-grip instead of on the paddle shaft, you don't have another blade to get in the way (nor need to reach so far under your boat when setting up) and your hipsnap is a little different (think about driving with your knees).

The basic sequence to learn to roll a C1 is similar to learning to roll a kayak - work on it as a t-rescue using other people's boats (plus this gives a great rescue technique for on the river before the roll gets solid), then work with quick boards or other floaty objects (start with 3 of them and work down), then once you have a really strong hip snap, work on it with the paddle, fine tuning paddle position, etc.

This, plus the suggestions you will find searching the forum, should let your kayaking friends help out and assist in learning to roll. My first C1 roll came after some vague descriptions from a kayaking buddy who had previously learnt C1 and OC1 rolls when bored during a pool paddling class he taught with a canoe instructor.

Good luck (and keep your head down until last!)

Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....