Esquif Taureau saddle height?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

lagow8
Pain Boater

Esquif Taureau saddle height?

Post by lagow8 »

What do most people cut their saddle height down too?

thanks,
John
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

suggestion for any Esquif saddles with bulkheads... trim down the rear portion (where your tailbone (butt) sits) so it is at the very least level with the front of the saddle.

personally... i prefer the part where your crotch sits to actually taper a bit upwards... better pelvis positioning.

lemme know if i need to draw another diagram
lagow8
Pain Boater

Post by lagow8 »

got any pictures?
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

That's funny... I actually saw many a paddler with an angle downwards on their saddle, never back... That'S how the come from the factory I tihnk... Or maybe I got it wrong?

Kind of a way to reminds you to paddle forward... But I have to admit it is less comfy, stressing your knees more. I like it level better personnally.

But maybe when you are such an great paddler you do things so smooth you may like the lazyboy position? 8)
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

I tend to Like My OC Saddles Slope forward a Bit towards the Knees I keep It 8 or 9 inches next to the Tailbone and Slope it for and Inch or 1.5 inches. I think it promotes better form and Is easier on the Knees.
That just me though.
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

this make sense?

all my saddles are set up this way... less stressful on the knees and hips... and I can lock in tighter (which helps keep your butt planted when rolling blah blah blah)

yes... from Esquif they have come higher in the back than the front... I've had them correct that
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

That is backwards from what I would do.
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
lagow8
Pain Boater

Post by lagow8 »

right on, maybe I will give it a try.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

horizongfx wrote:That is backwards from what I would do.
"that way" is much harder on your hips/pelvis/knees... try it my way once with a scrap or two of foam and some tape. (of course for the best fit you might have to re-cut/re-angle your thigh hooks)

think of it this way... if your hips/pelvis are supported a bit more by the front of the saddle where your crotch is you are then putting less weight/pressure onto your knees.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Thanks again Craig, very interesting.

Again, I was surprised because I'm seeing it often on the river people with saddle like horizongfx wrote on canoes and C1s alike.

I tried it on my boat and just didn't like it so much... Yes you tend to fall off the saddle more when rolling. Still, I would never have tought to do it the other way around... :roll: interesting indeed. 8)
Watch out; that river has rocks on the bottom. :o