North Branch of the Potomac Armada

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

When do you want to have the NBP Armada?

April 14-15
22%
April 28-29
50%
May 12-13 (Mother's Day weekend)
11%
May 26-27 (Memorial Day weekend)
17%

Total votes: 18

adamin
CBoats.net Staff

I'm making a decision..

Post by adamin »

Ok, given the current poll results...

ARMADA WILL BE LAST WEEKEND IN APRIL!

Friday Cquirt fest or whatever we're calling it.

I'll post more when I have time...
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Where to camp? the Robert Craig Campground doesn't open till April 30 :cry: That stinks. I'm a wimpy camper & really like having a hot shower.

I just got my vacation approved :D I'll probably drive up on Thursday.

I like the idea of squirting. What else do y'all want to do?
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Adventure Sports Complex Intl. McHenry, MD is liable to be open by then.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Hmmm

Post by Sir Adam »

Hmm...the point on where to camp is indeed a good one.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

I must admit that although i preferred the atmosphere of the Savage River campground, the hot showers and actual facilities at Robert Craig were nice...

Thoughts?
Keep the C!
Adam
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

Maybe I can come to the Armada

Post by ChrisKelly »

I am prolly going to visit my daughter in Alexendra during the previous week and could plan to spend the weekend paddling.

When you say "North Branch of the Potamac" are you refering to the Kitzmiller section? I have wanted to run that for a long time. I would also be interested in the Cheat or the Tygart and would be pleased to run the Lower Yough again. I am too geezerish to paddle the Upper Yough anymore.

Chris Kelly
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Chris, no, this is the easier Barnum to Bloomington section. the Kitzmiller section only runs with natural flow and will be too low b then. the Bloomington section however has a few weekends of scheduled whitewater releases.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... l/id/2430/

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
ChrisKelly
CBoats Addict

That looks very nice indeed.

Post by ChrisKelly »

and it ain't no 14 miles long!

Why are there kayakers??? Can't you do something about that?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

tentative timeline and camping info...

Post by PAC »

Unofficial Schedule of Armada Events - All subject to change based on weather, river conditions (aka Savage, etc.) and the whim of the group!!

Fri. 4/27
9:00 - Meet at Ohiopyle State Park boaters parking lot for quick "Loop" run on the Lower "Yough"iogheny River.
10:30 - 11:00 Change and head out for PS Composites - grabbing lunch along the way
12:00ish - PS Composite site visit
2:00ish - Cheat Narrows for Cquirt and the Adam Drop.
PM - Dinner, camping, meeting and greeting

Sat. 4/2810:00 -11:00 Meet at the Red Brick Building at the bridge over the Savage. Set up shuttles, etc.
Noon-ish - Launch on the North Branch of the P and play at the first wave then move on. Remember to pack a lunch, water and be ready to swap out boats along the way.
5:00-ish Fox's Pizza for Strombolis and such - and yes they have been warned (and sorry I don't think the fireman's parade is scheduled for this date - But Big Al has been volunteered to provide the entertainment).
PM - Camping, story telling and swapping of adult beverages

Sun. 4/29
AM - breakfast and site visit of the Adventure Sports Center International www.adventuresportscenter.com . Matt will be on vacation that weekend and is currently looking to provide an alternate tour guide. He also asked that we get a group photo of the Armada crew if possible.
Late AM to PM - Long Drive home

Camping This is still TBD as things change!!
Suggested camping is at Swallow Falls State Park (Garrett Loop sites) outside Deep Creek Lake (MD) and is right next to the Top and Tippy Top Sections of the Yough River and 45 minutes from Westernport, MD
http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/ ... falls.html & http://www.dnr.state.md.us/publiclands/maps/msfmap.html
Details - Mid April (opening 4/13) until the Wednesday before Memorial – half of the sites may be reserved by calling 1-888-432-2267. The other half of the sites are first-come, first-served. No dogs but alcohol is allow in the camping area.

Feed back and thoughts for improving are welcome!!! Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!