The "bad" news and the good news... Mountain Surf.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

The "bad" news and the good news... Mountain Surf.

Post by Craig Smerda »

Rumor has it Mountain Surf is no longer. Haven't heard the definitive from John Mason on it yet though. From the "rumor mill"... http://www.boatertalk.com/forum/BoaterTalk/1412584

John and company made the skirt for my Taureau and considering the complexity and never seeing the boat or cockpit rim in person they did a fantastic job!!! I'm sure over the years Mountain Surf has helped many of us with our "special projects". For "us" having access to a custom skirt company is mucho-importanto seeing how we quite often need custom tunnel heights and postitions... all oddball cockpit rim shapes and the like. ALSO... the other reason for this post is the fact that someone a week or so ago was asking where to get a skirt made for a "?" boat and I directed them unwittingly to Mountain Surf. Until we hear more from John I hate to speculate much further of what will become of a paddlesports industry icon.

(Some info Edited Out January 17th 2008 by Craig)

L8'er!
Craig
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oc1paddlr
CBoats Addict

hu hu hu....he said 'skirt'

Post by oc1paddlr »

:D sorry "D" just could'nt resist
paddlr
red boat ready
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: hu hu hu....he said 'skirt'

Post by Craig Smerda »

oc1paddlr wrote::D sorry "D" just could'nt resist

well... the post was for the C1'ers... not the "pureists" :lol:
old and in the way
C Guru

Post by old and in the way »

Well, that's just great! [sarcasm\]

I sent my skirt back to Mountain Surf to get re-cut. No wonder i haven't gotten it back.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

surfboy

Rumor control about Mountain Surf

Post by surfboy »

First, my ears were burning last week. But between wiring for the new sample and custom skirt shop and the rain, then wind, and downed trees here, my DSL was down for almost a week and phone was out for a few days a well.
Thanks to all of you who expressed concern and support.
Please allow me to clear up some of the rumours.

Yes it is true. The Shop in Friendsville has been shut down.
I will be moving the equipment, patterns, tracing library, and materials to my new shop on the Ottawa River outside of Beachburg, Ontario, Canada, in the next couple of weeks.
Production and shipping of direct sale custom skirts, and warranty work will begin in March from Beachburg.

I am still working on a deal to have skirts built in the USA to my specifications and delivered to the broader paddling market

A new, dynamic website with the best skirt fit utility going will be up in about a week, with new content that is everything Sprayskirt, and regular updates on the New Mountain Surf from the river that inspired these skirts in the first place.

As many of you know, I am Canadian.
I was working in the USA on a business visa, and just under two years ago while making a routine crossing on what turned out to be the first day of a new protocol for business visa holders, a technicality and a misunderstanding resulted in my exclusion.
There is no appeal process and it will take years for my immigration lawyer to get me through this extremely frustrating and bureaucratic process.

Since that time I have been doing design, specing skirts, and trying to keep up with customer service by phone and internet from Beachburg, Ontario. All the while searching for a partner or buyer to provide management, sales and leadership for my production staff to continue delivering sprayskirts built to my specifications, and maintain a boater friendly takeout, in Friendsville.
Eventually, I found partners committed to Friendsville, maintaining the quality and performance of the skirts, and to working with the production staff.

The production staff walked out after the first get to know you meeting, which effectively killed that last chance at maintaining production in Friendsville.
Charles and Karen learned to assemble sprayskirts in my organization, but I can not endorse Skirtworks or their skirt performance.

The building in Friendsville is for sale privately, and I hope to sell it to someone boater friendly, but I have already taken a significant financial hit for backing away from boater unfriendly buyers.
If it is not sold once the equipment and materials have been moved to Beachburg, then I will list it with a local realtor.

If you have any questions, or are interested in my building in Friendsville, please e-mail me at (customerserv at mountainsurf dot com)
613 582 3839
0r through this board.

I have enjoyed providing you with top gear, and a friendly place for private paddlers to take out in Friendsville.

Come visit on the Ottawa River, I’m on the Put in road.

John Mason
Mountain Surf
John Mason
Mountain Surf
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: Rumor control about Mountain Surf

Post by Craig Smerda »

surfboy wrote:Come visit on the Ottawa River, I’m on the Put in road.

John Mason
Mountain Surf
John... you'd best stock up on a lot of high quality ice cold beer if you are going to make offers like that to this crew!!! :lol:
surfboy

Come ahead, but you'll have to bring your own beer.

Post by surfboy »

the only coolies in the fridge are leftovers from previous visitors.
Maybe there is a use for that old fridge on the porch.
Nice pond to camp by and the put in and Garb/Bussy are within a mile and a half.
John Mason
Mountain Surf
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

John, thank you VERY much for posting here and clearing things up. It's good to hear you are still in business, and I'm sorry to hear the bureaucratic mess you're in...I don't envy you.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »