h2o paddles

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

h2o paddles

Post by oopsiflipped »

who's tried em, who likes em, who don't?

g
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

Love em!

I like it better than any of the fancy Mitchell or Galasport paddles I've had for creeking/ river running. slalom would be another story.

2+ years (about 150 days of terrible Cali class IV-V :wink: ) on a team c1 and it shows hardly any wear. It took a little while to warm up to it (the plastic blade). It's funky looking, and it seemed flexy, and it's plastic. But it works really well! I beat it on rocks all day long without any jarring to my arms, or ears, or mind(thinking.. crap! I just broke ANOTHER Magnum!).
I'm now convinced that plastic blades are the only way to go for creeking/ river running.

Cool paddle. Works great. I Highly recommend it.
Larry
bellotti
c

Post by bellotti »

Tried to get one, but after being blown off by 3 different retailers I gave up. Seems like not very many people care to do special orders. Could have ordered straight from the manuf, but by that time I decided to go a different route and am currently having a Pothole built. :lol:
liskahon
C Guru

Post by liskahon »

Check this one out... also plastic blade+composite shaft works great and is much cheaper....
http://c1freestyle.blogspot.com/2007/05 ... addle.html
pdown2
C Guru

Post by pdown2 »

Larry - do you use the straight or bent shaft H2O-Team-C1? Been thinking about the bent shaft but still a little iffy on it.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I have several H20 paddles (different length for different boats/saddle heights), and I really love them. They are great for every thing except slalom, where there are better options out there. As Larry mentioned, no jarring of the joints due to the plastic blade. Wear resistance is the best of any paddle I have owned so far. If you have to replace a blade, the cost for doing that is can$40.
Thebent shaft is great, it has 2 drawbacks however. 1) it's heavier 2) the highest possible bend position is still very low. I have a 54" bent shaft that I use in my C1 playboats where I have a low saddle height (~4.5 - 5 inches), in my C1 creeker and open boat, where my saddle height is more like 7-8 inches, I found the bend position way too ow down on the shaft and went therefore with a straight shaft for my 58" paddle. If you paddle an OC1, go straight shaft for sure. If your'e in a C1, it depends on saddle height. Best is to try one befor buying.

Jan, those Profiplast paddles look great. However they do not seem to have any distributors in North America, and as far as the price is concerned, my guess is that once all theshippoing, handling , duty and makups are added, they will e nio cheaper than a H20 once they hit the NA market.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Larry Horne
C Maven

Post by Larry Horne »

I went with the straight shaft.
I wouldn't mind trying a bent shaft, but I wasn't brave enough to buy one.
Larry
liskahon
C Guru

Post by liskahon »

Yep, the Profiplast paddles are really good... the same concept as H20 . And you re probably right about the final price...
kneeler
C Guru

Post by kneeler »

I generally use a 58" Mitchell with a curved blade. I broke the dynel edging off the Mitchell so I borrowed a 54" staight-shaft H2O team c1 paddle.

I had very low expectations. The blade shape is strange and it was the ugliest paddle I've ever seen aside from the h20 kayak paddles.

I LOVED it. Lots of power. The shape really lends itself to little grace strokes. The short, wide blade is very effective.

If they start making them in normal colors, I'll buy one for sure. I wouldn't own a puke green paddle.

I've been disappointed lately in my Mitchell sticks, having had numerous problems with cracking and leakage with the carbon shafts. My experience with H20 could make me a convert. I've always been a very loyal Mitchell owner. Before trying the H2O, I wouldn't have even placed these 2 companies (Mitchell and h20) in the same league.