Royalex Quality

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

raven
c

Royalex Quality

Post by raven »

Hi fellow paddlers
There's a bit of a debate on SONG OF THE PADDLE here in Britain about the quality of Royalex boats , since most of the boats come over from USA Canada any input would be grateful .

Thanks Raven NW Scotland
Louie

Post by Louie »

IT AIN'T WHAT IT USE TO BE, but what is ?
eddyhops
CBoats Addict

Re: Royalex Quality

Post by eddyhops »

JD
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

this is getting to be a weekly thing... :roll:

sticky thread for FAQ's please?
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Ask the sales rep

Post by Longboatin »

Companies want to sell boats, and making boats that last as long as some old blue hole doesnt make a company much money. As much as people give the piss to butt boaters on here, it appears the canoe industry is right along w/ them. You got to have the newest model, or you suck. This sport is getting like g d golf.
I have no corp. agenda, but some on here may.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Re: Ask the sales rep

Post by oopsiflipped »

[quote="Longboatin"]them. You got to have the newest model, or you suck. quote]

Which in open boats came out 5 or 6 years ago and the next newest were designed 10 yrs before that.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

I wonder if the more recent VOC regulations have had any effect on the plastics industry. I do know that it had an effect on the curing time of oil based paints and polyurethane finishes (a plastic resin in a can). Maybe this is why some say to let the boat age for a while before subjecting it to heavy usage? Is there anyone out there in the plastics industry who would know more about this??????
ClassFive Boats
C Guru

Post by ClassFive Boats »

The actual toughness of the ABS in Royalex is the just about same as it used to be. Its made by Spartech these days. It can be ordered up to any thickness / reinforcement patchs the Mfg. wants ... Also thicker sheets means longer pre-drying times before forming, and longer heating times during forming. this all costs more money . Turly , Royalex ani't what it used to be, but because its ordereed thinner. The old blue holes were tough boats , but were heavier/ thicker than todays layups. I remember having to brace myself just to load my Sunburst ll on the Van..
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

The thinkness of the sheets is definitely a huge factor. Compared the thickness of the sheet in my mew Outrage to the one in an old Genesis (mid 90's vintage). I bet the sheet in that Genesis is 50% thicker. So is the weight though.
The Outrage is my last RX boat for sure. Next one will be composite.

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

sticky thread sticky thread sticky thread sticky thread Image
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Per Craig's request.... can't let the lad develop a "cottage cheese" head. :wink:
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

PAC wrote:Per Craig's request.... can't let the lad develop a "cottage cheese" head. :wink:
thanks... now every time someone starts a new Royalex this or Royalex that thread it can be closed and they can be redirected to this one.

so ladies and germs... have at it... yeehaw!!! :lol:

gratis 8)

Or NOT... :roll:
http://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic.php?t=7962657
Last edited by Craig Smerda on Tue Jul 27, 2010 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
raven
c

Post by raven »

Cool guy's it's all making sense now it's a pity because some of the designs are fantastic but am affraid I cant afford a new boat every season I will end up getting a Prelude, my mate over here has had one for about 5yrs he must have hit every boulder on every river weve paddled ,and it's fell of the car 3 times ,and get's thrown behind the shed when he's finished and it still looks ok
Thanks again RAVEN
Louie

Post by Louie »

While there are many good reason to make topic a stickey, savin Deckers head ain't one of them.
craig
CBoats Addict

Post by craig »

Maybe it would help if some canoe makers offered their boats in a thicker ABS for a surcharge. It would be better than a bunch of unhappy customers that may buy a different product from a competitor.