looking for c1 straps

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

chuckmw
c

looking for c1 straps

Post by chuckmw »

I am converting a Kayak and need some staps, anyone got an old set or is anyone selling??

Chuck
Pierre LaPaddelle
CBoats Addict

Post by Pierre LaPaddelle »

Hey Chuck

While you might find suitable units for sale, ready to install, my experience (living hundreds of miles from big city services) is to rely on the ol' D. I. Y. Manual. And C-1 straps ain't rocket science.

Nylon webbing is widely available in bulk, in a variety of widths (and funky colours.) I hand-stitch it with HD waxed nylon thread bought from the local saddlery shop.

For quick release, I originally tried plastic cam-buckles, but gave up on them -- they work well, but tend to blow apart at crucial times. I've found a good source of stainless steel airplane-style (lift-latch) seatbelt buckles. (PM me for source.)

I run utility cord between both buckle-latches, and fasten a single strap mid-point on the cord -- that strap velcro's to the strap on my spray-skirt, so one pull to release the skirt also releases the buckles.

Stainless steel hardware (bolts. washers, nutz) can be tricky in a small town, but easy in a large center. And there's always Google.

The only part of the strap system I buy from a canoe dealer is anchors and adhesives (eg. NorthWater brand) mostly for OC installations.

(Of course, if I simply installed ready-made strap systems, I could spend my evenings out partying, but. . .)

Good luck with your conversion!

Rick
C'est l'aviron. . . !
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

Someone else on this board turned me onto www.strapworks.com as an online source for all kinds of straps, buckles, d-rings and other related hardware. Reasonable prices, quick service - I've been pleased the times that I've used them.

John
East Coast Canoes
C Guru

Post by East Coast Canoes »

Chuck,
I make and sell complete C1 outfitting kit as well as individual pieces. I can also custom sew sizes, along with lap belts, anchors and more. My website is down but you can search for pic on this site.
Give me a call or message me with your needs.
What area are you in?
John.
East Coast. Canoes
Sales@eastcoastcanoes.com