Perception Gyra Max

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Lengthy
C Guru

Perception Gyra Max

Post by Lengthy »

Anyone have any interest in a gyra max used once on class 3? Factory outfitting, practically a brand new boat. Kept in a clean warm basement, hanging since it was brand new.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Note that most will see this as a Perception C-1 saddle with an old boat wrapped around it.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

hmmm. I might be - I have one in the "museum", but it doesn't sound as nice as yours... and might be a better candidate for someone that just wants a saddle:)

I'll be down for the Armada at least.

Looking to get rid of it for the space, beverages, or ? ?
Keep the C!
Adam
cheajack
CBoats Addict

Post by cheajack »

Adam; if yours comes available, I'll take the saddle.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I'll see what Lengthy has to say - I'd be happy to bring one GyraMax down and a different one home.
Keep the C!
Adam
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

The boat belongs to my uncle. He's an open boater who doesn't really even boat anymore. Back in the day he thought a C1 would work for him. This is after years open boating. He didn't get into the C1. He used it only once or twice, I believe on the middle yough, and got back in his whitsell (which is probably available also). He doesn't sell things he just puts them away. He's heavily into vintage motorcycles now and he says he could use the space. I really don't even know what it's worth but I told him I would check into it and get it sold.
Any advise on what it's worth would also be helpful. It really is new.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Not to be too cutesy about it, but it's worth what someone will pay.

For folks looking for the saddle, I'm assuming $50 max.

For someone looking for a cheap boat and happy to go old school, I'd guess up to $200.

For someone that wants a "like new" GyraMax, more.

The trick is to find someone in the last two:)

I paid $50 for mine. Servicable, looks OK, and isn't cracked (unlike the Perception Sage I have that was OK until it was taken out on whitewater. Some of that old plastic is very brittle with time, even if stored out of the sun)(black and white were the worst, I think... this boat was white...)
Keep the C!
Adam
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

As a "like-new" gyramax, Adam said it well. Its got great functional value if you can line up a buyer.

I used to own one and really loved paddling the boat. I'd be sad to see someone rob the saddle out it, especially if the plastic is still is good shape.[/quote]
Theallaroundpaddler
c

Gyra max

Post by Theallaroundpaddler »

i think that, if the boat is in fact like new, i might be interested in it for the boat, not just the saddle. if it is still available, id appreciate it if you would send pics to me at Paddler3@bellsouth.net so i can make my decision.
ehofehof

Post by ehofehof »

Anyone here in WKC or PTCC or planning on doing Western Washington rivers and interested in a C-1?
This is the ORIGINAL boat tested by Rob Lesser in the 1980's and came to me through Pacific Water Sports if anyone remembers Lee and Judy Moyer.
It's been in my storage locker(s) basically since the mid '80s. I dunno if that qualifies it for a museum but after 2 heart attacks *I* won't be paddling anymore. I guess I'd rather it go to a museum than wrapped around a rock in the big B.D. on the Sky by a newbie, but I really need to get rid of it (and the rest of my old boating gear to a good home).

Inquiries welcome. I'm putting it on Craig's list also, its gotta go.
floatingToolbox

Re: Perception Gyra Max

Post by floatingToolbox »

Has anybody ever tried to alter the form of the GyraMax?

I could imagine that an extrastrip of foam under the foamwedges would give the boat a little more rocker, thus making it more maneuverable.

We have such an od boat in our boathouse and I have flushed away a layer of dust from about five years from it. Than I took it to the test on flatwater. It is fast and rock-solid. But it turns almost like a sea-kayak.

Axel
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

floatingToolbox wrote:Has anybody ever tried to alter the form of the GyraMax?

I could imagine that an extrastrip of foam under the foamwedges would give the boat a little more rocker, thus making it more maneuverable.

Axel
Extra foam under the pillars won't alter the rocker much; it is more likely to just increase the depth of the boat in the center (where the pillar is) by making the hull and deck cross section somewhat more "V" shaped and the boat slightly narrower.

As someone who used to build his own composite boats "back-in-the-day" and even helped design a couple new slalom C-2s, I've seen first-hand the effect of inserting "extra-tall" pillars into a boat. One C-2 slalom team who built one of our new designs managed to unintentionally render their new C-2 too narrow to meet minimum width requirements for competition merely by inserting pillars that had been cut too generously, which pulled-in the sides just enough to fall below regulations. The additional depth of the boat also made it somewhat harder for them to sneak their bow and stern under the poles, but had little effect on the hull's rocker.

John
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

floatingToolbox wrote:Has anybody ever tried to alter the form of the GyraMax?
Not yet. I missed the perfect opportunity (and as importantly the *photo* opportunity) to convert one to a squirt boat when we had a roller compactor at the house putting down some asphalt. Talk about perfect... That hot asphalt would have been just the ticket to get the boat to take and keep it's new shape...
floatingToolbox

Post by floatingToolbox »

Thank you for your answer, John. And thanks for the suggestion to use a roller compactor, Scott.

I am aware of this being some sort of desperate attempt to make an old design fit new demands. I will not have to consider any slalom-requirements thus it doesn't matter if the boat is drawn smaller by this measure.
I have a broad strip of quite stiff foam. So hopefully I can avoid too much "V". If there are any presentable results to my attempt I will make pictures.

Here is a picture (LINK) showing the boat drawn out of the boathouse - covered by a thick layer of dust.

Axel