Viper looking for good home

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Brettal
C Guru

Viper looking for good home

Post by Brettal »

Because I can't find the email Adam sent me a while ago, figured I'd post here, since it'll likely go to a good home, whoever gets it.

I found myself in the enviable position this spring, of having the opportunity to purchase the fourth Viper ever produced. How could I pass it up? Little did I realize at the time that I wouldn't be able to find the time to paddle it much, and that on flatwater. So, after much deliberation, I've decided to put it up for sale. I'm the second owner of this Viper. First guy used it for surfing in the ocean, and had it nice and refurbished (and the cockpit enlarged; I think Atom skirt'll fit?) before storing it inside for several years, prior to my purchasing it.

So what do I do? While attempting to empty the water out on shore after failed rolls during practice, it slips out of my hands, and separates 3/4 of the left coaming from the hull (I don't know how else to describe it; it's still watertight, and shouldn't be a difficult repair). It's otherwise in really good shape, as it's been stored indoors since its refurbishment (10? years ago), aside from the couple times I took it out.

I'm looking for $425 for it, it's located in north-central Massachusetts, and I'm sure Sir Adam would be willing to help with a bit of transport if you bribed him with paddling time.

And yes, I'm being selective in who gets the Viper; it deserves a good home. Right now it's feeling lonely and dejected.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

This is a NICE boat

Post by Sir Adam »

I looked at this Viper, too, when I picked up the white one I have now. It was almost scratchless at that point (was used only for ocean-surfing as Brettal mentioned). I suspect it's the seam tape coming off, or rather a coating over the seam tape (the same thing has happened to my Viper...still works fine). I suspect it was just on there to protect the chines.

The cockpit is enlarged so an Atom skirt will fit, but I suspect only certain skirts. My Groove skirt (made for the Groove) fits an Atom, but DOES NOT reliable fit my Viper. FWIW Mountain Surf actually has the template for these enlarged-cockpit Vipers, and make a BOMBER skirt fo the thing (mine arrived the other day-so far I'm impressed, though it has yet to see heavy playing...).

So, for all you folks who REALLY like the Viper, but want one with the enlarged cockpit, this boat is for you....

As Brettal mentioned, I may be able to help with transportation a bit.

Oh-and for the curious I believe this is a full -cut viper.

And, if I recall correctly, here's an image (correct me if I'm wrong Brettal-it's been a while...):

Keep the C!
Adam
Brettal
C Guru

Post by Brettal »

Looks to be the right boat in that picture, colorwise at least, minus the stickers that have since been put on. Still essentially scratch-free, as I haven't had the chance to put more scratches on it. Pretty sure it was mentioned to me that it was a 3/4" cut, though. Maybe 1/2"? Not positive, and lacking the emails for some reason to double-check.

And that does sound about right about the covering over the seam tape coming off; description matches what happened pretty well.
Brettal
C Guru

Also!

Post by Brettal »

I might be bringing the Viper out to the Fife Brook section of the Deerfield on Friday, 9/12, if anyone wants to take a look at it. I may or may not paddle it (as I'd been planning on using an open boat), but we'll see; I'll certainly bring it if anyone wants to check it out.
creek1r
Pain Boater

Interested...

Post by creek1r »

Im 170# - 175# - what weight range is this Viper - how can you tell if it is a full or cut?

Bev Bryant
markw

Viper

Post by markw »

Would love to check out boat September 4, 5, or 7th! I'll be in your neighborhood for a wedding and paddling.

Kay1see1@yahoo.com

518-336-9118

585-369-4438

Thanks,
mark
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Viper Cut

Post by Sir Adam »

Hmm. It may be 3/4. I had the white (1/2 cut) Viper to compare it to (and it is MUCH slicier), and the one you're selling was definitley bigger. I had a Full cut for a while (Kelly-Rand has it now), and I'd say its closer to a full than a 1/2, but it very well may be a 3/4. Was there anything glassed in by the knees? (boat and cut wise?) I know New Wave did this on their boats, but I'm not sure if Winterport did....

To answer Marks Q, a 1/2 viper can handle 170lbs without being too "squirty" (though you can get the bow down), and larger cuts can easily handle more weight (or be more of a stern-squirting, cruising boat).
Keep the C!
Adam
Brettal
C Guru

Post by Brettal »

There is a serial number/royalty statement thing 'glassed in near the left knee, but it doesn't say anything about the cut that I can tell. I remember taking a picture of it when I first got the boat, but don't know where the pic is. Of course, now I have a digital camera...

Oh, and as a (small) warning after re-looking at the picture - the Viper doesn't look as good as it did in the picture that Sir Adam posted. Colors are a bit faded, and the black stuff's flaking. Just in case you were thinking that it'd still look like it did right out of the mold.
Brettal
C Guru

Post by Brettal »

Nobody's adopted the Viper yet; it's currently sitting in storage at work, so if anyone wants to come test it out some weekend between now and the end of October (assuming nobody's grabbed it yet :o ), let me know and we'll set something up.
Brettal
C Guru

Still not gone

Post by Brettal »

Yeah, yeah, end of the season and all that, but Viper's still around. I'm heading to school in January, and it doesn't *have* to be gone by then, but it'd be very convenient if it was.
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

What's the odds of someone 6'5" 200lbs being able to paddle that Viper?
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Very Good!

Post by Sir Adam »

Brettals is either a full cut or 3/4 cut. Full should float you fine, 3/4 would be squirty but not a submarine. You could stern (and most likely bow) squirt either with some practise.

The BIG question would be getting into it. Normally you'd have to fit into the "standard" slalom-sized cockpit, BUT if I recall correctly (correct me if I"m wrong Brettal!) this boat has an enlarged "Atom" sized cockpit. Great for bigger folks (and great in general, though I heartily recommend splurging for the custom Mountain Surf skirt (they have the template for the enlarged Viper rim).
Keep the C!
Adam
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

no problem

Post by sbroam »

I was 220 when I test paddled a full cut Viper - no problems floating and stern squirts were smooth. Wouldn't expect to get bow ends, except for enders. This one had a large cockpit, though with a race cockpit, it would be OK (room to get under the deck), unless your legs are thick.
Brettal
C Guru

Post by Brettal »

It does have the enlarged cockpit, and I'd agree with Adam about getting the custom Mountain Surf skirt, unless you're really good at making your own.
jKelly-Rand

Post by jKelly-Rand »

I fit in Brettal's Viper cockpit and I'm 6'4". I'm only 165#s though. I was looking at Brettal's Viper because it is 3/4 cut. I have a full cut Viper and I think I am too light for it. I tried Adams 1/2 cut, and it was really responsive. So the 3/4 cut may be worth a look for you.

til next
Jim