Looking at getting into Open Boating

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

playboater06
C Boater

Looking at getting into Open Boating

Post by playboater06 »

I am looking for some big guy Canoes, Like the Mohawk XL or other big guy boats. Where should I look to get used boats? I am located in Cincinnati OH
madmike
C Guru

do not buy this one

Post by madmike »

playboater06
C Boater

Post by playboater06 »

so is it bad? I mean I want to get into the sport with a decent boat. Is the price tag a little high?
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

It ain't great compared to some other boats, but $400 isn't a bad price. One of my rules is : having *any* boat is a whole heckuva lot better than having *no* boat (the performance of the "no boat" is pretty bad ;-) unless the boat is so bad it might encourage you to abandon the sport. This boat is nowhere near that bad. You would in all likelihood graduate from it to something else later, but some folks actually like that boat. And you might find yourself keeping it to use as a loaner or as your "bigger boat" for overnighters.

I started in a Coleman "Marine 17" canoe and it didn't scare me off!

[edit : just noticed that doesn't include floatation - expect to spend ~$100 for that - now you are looking at $500 - you might find a better boat in that price range - maybe a Probe?.]
playboater06
C Boater

Post by playboater06 »

would I be able to trade teh perception saddle for float bags? I mean is this a common occurance?
jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

Look for a paddling clubs lots of times you can rent boats for a very reasonable fee Like NH AMC rents them for $10 a trip. Then you can try other people boats to and lots of time they have extra boats sitting around and they like you and they will sell it for a ridiculously low price. I saw an xl 13 and esquif nitro go for $100 dollars each. This doesn't happen all the time but it does And Take a course if the club has one it is another way to meet people and find used boats most of the time the boat sell before they ever make it to craigslist