Millbrook Defiant and Hydra Duet C-2 for sale

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Alan B
Pain Boater

Millbrook Defiant and Hydra Duet C-2 for sale

Post by Alan B »

Millbrook Defiant kevlar whitewater solo canoe. Very good shape, stored indoors. One of Kaz's larger volume solo boats that works well for bigger people. Check his website for specs. $700.00
Hydra Duet is in good shape, considering the vintage. Saddles, thigh straps and 2 skirts included. $200.00 I'm in Montana so transport will be an issue. Could haul either one to Wausau in late July for oc nats.
John Anderson
c

OC-1, C-2

Post by John Anderson »

Hi Alan,

Are you giving up OC-1 slalom? Or, have you decided the Defiant isn't enough challenge and are deciding to race your Ocoee in the 13' race class?

I'd like to check out your mighty Hydra. Is this the same boat we used on the Gallatin about a decade ago?

John A,
sbrowning

Post by sbrowning »

Can you give me some info on the defiant? Condition, how it handles, maybe what it compares to, etc. I'm in Livingston, so not too far.
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

I just typed a LONG note regarding the Defiant but lost it somehow. It's past my bedtime so I'll try again tomorrow. You could also give me a ring at 406-546-8960.
Alan B
Pain Boater

Post by Alan B »

sbrowning... finally getting back to you. Comparing the Defiant to other ww solo boats... I have paddled almost every model of boat and have owned several. I have 2 Ocoees and paddle them alot. If you combined an Ocoee, an Outrage and a Zephyr, might be a start. The Defiant lacks the Ocoee's edges, which is why I paddle them. Surfing and eddie turns are effortless in the O's. However, the Defiant does have alot of rocker like the Ocoee (more than the Outrage or Zephyr) so is easy to turn but still fast. The Defiant is 16" deep, which is an inch deeper than all other ABS solo canoes. Makes for an even dryer ride. John Kaz of Millbrook can make all of his solo models in race layup (24 to 26 pounds) or cruising layup, which is what mine is. It weighs around 30 pounds. It is so effortless to paddle this boat and carry it up the take out trail. It has hip pads and I usually carry it on one shoulder with a hand lightly holding the forward thwart. These boats are really tough! Other Millbrook owners told me that if you do some serious damage to the boat, there will be a horrific sound. On a few occasions, I heard a horrific sound, pulled over thinking I would find some sort of damage and could never even figure out where the hit had been. Once on the Lochsa, I heard what HAD to be major damage, pulled over expecting to see something to cry about and needing duct tape to just finish the trip. The ONLY thing was a dime sized ding on the stern stem that puckered the inside slightly. I filled the outside dimple with ABS goop and it is a bomber repair. The above comments might imply that I am hard on my boats. Almost always not the case! I race gates so I hate to hit anything.
The boat was purhased new in 1999 and paddled as my main boat for a season, than I picked up the first Ocoee. After that the Defiant has only been used for 2 or 3 slalom races a year. Typical scratches below the water line and the above mentioned ding. The wood has been oiled as needed and the boat has been stored continuously in a heated garage. Check out the Millbrook website for more info and John would even respond to any questions you might have for him. When I first contacted him about buying, he gave me names of 3 Defiant owners spread all over the US and I talked to each one. That sold me on the boats and the model. By the way, I would love to keep it, but I hope to finance another tandem Millbrook... have to sell a few toys to get another one. I will be paddling often from now on to prepare for a slalom race near Seattle in early April. The travel burden would be on you but a test paddle on the Blackfoot in late March could work. Or later in April. I won't promise any travel towards Bozeman, etc. but maybe we can meet in the coming months. Even if you don't buy the boat it's always good to meet another ww open boater. If you don't already know, there is one of the largest open boat communities in the US, in the Missoula area (and growing).
The Defiant is $1350 new, without saddle, thigh straps or shipping. Mine has the factory saddle and thigh straps. Just to be up front, I am pretty firm on the $700 price. Feel free to contact with more questions.
Alan