WTB Wood gunwales for outrage

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

thunderkat

WTB Wood gunwales for outrage

Post by thunderkat »

Mine need replacing. Does anyone make them in the southeast or have any suggestions on what to do about this?
bassbug
c

Post by bassbug »

You can order then from Mad River...or make your own. It is an undertaking to replace them...I replaced mine last year with local wood. I could not find full length pieces so I glued (scarf jointed) pieces together.

Here is a pdf from Mad River about replacing wooden gunwales...
http://www.madrivercanoe.com/content/ma ... lation.pdf

and a link to their faqs...
http://www.madrivercanoe.com/faq/index/ ... unwale_faq
madmike
C Guru

CNY

Post by madmike »

I have them in CNY (13460) If you can figure out how to get them to you.
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

I bought a 15.5' x 2 1/4" x 6 1/2" piece of ash in North Carolina for under $55. I haven't had it cut into gunwales yet. I found several places with 12' lengths of ash. Finding something longer is a challenge. I'm having the gunwales cut sometime in the next few months. I'd be happy to make you a deal on a set of gunwales if you can wait until I get them cut. Or you call the guys I got my ash from if North Carolilna isn't too far for you. Try www.hardwoodstore.com or call 1-888-445-7335.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

You can also check with your local cabinetry and millwork shops - they often have ash in stock, can order it, and are set up to shape it for you. We've managed several sets with a table saw and a router. 16' pieces can be had, though expect shipping to be similar to the cost of the material. Take care of your existing screws and you can reuse them - SS isn't cheap...
thunderkat

Post by thunderkat »

Thanks for that mad river link. I hadn't really thought about until I read those instructions but I think I might just try to do a splice to repair the broken section.
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

http://www.edscanoe.com/14kndogusy.html

Here's an inexpensive option.
zappaddles
Pain Boater

Ash

Post by zappaddles »

I have Ash already sized for gunwales. No profile, just milled to 3/4" sq. $60 for a set of 4. Zappadles in Suwanee Ga.
"I'm with you fellers"