newbee in Va needs an oc-1 and advice

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

shanesr74

newbee in Va needs an oc-1 and advice

Post by shanesr74 »

I am hoping somebody out there is looking to get rid of a solo canoe that would be appropriate for a new paddler. I paddle kayaks both sea and ww but want to try something new.
I really don't see myself going beyond a class 3, and am looking for something to surf a bit also.
Any advice on boats will be welcome too, even if you are not selling one.
Thanks a bunch
Shane
Shanesr74@comcast.net
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Size

Post by Mikey B »

What size are you? How tall and how much do you weigh?
sganarelle
Pain Boater

Post by sganarelle »

Have you posted over at www.coastals.org, the Va specific paddling community? There are probably some people looking to sell a used boat or two locally.
oc1kev
C Boater

Post by oc1kev »

if it's you are looking to get a good oc1 that is forgiving and will be a good boat you can use for a long long time, I definitely recommend a Dagger Rival if you can find one.

it trackes well, side-surfs great... it's got a good shape that isn't very edgy... maybe not as easy to 'spin' as some of the flatter bottom boats, but I really enjoyed mine.

I had an ocoee and a rival in my garage at one point, and when I would want to go thrash, I'd take out the ocoee, and when i'd want a nice fun day that wasn't such a work-out, i'd take the Rival.

-I spent about 3 summers going 2 days per week on the Ocoee River, in TN in my purple Rival... it's run "Edge of The World" waterfall on the Amicalola Creek near Tate, GA, probably 2 dozen or more runs (before that extended drought in GA hit), and has countless trips down the Nantahala over the 10 years it was in service, and it was every bit as at home on all three rivers.

they aren't so common these days, but it's a good 'big-water' design by Bob Foote, and although it's rated more towards someone around 150lbs, my 195lbs had no problems with it.
-You look cool, for a naked chick in a booth...
oc ender
C Guru

nitro

Post by oc ender »

My advice would be to try an Esquif Nitro.An excellent learning boat with alot of potential.Get the pump also!! :wink: non stop boating,turn it on and giver'!!
That wasn't carnage,watch this...
ctrice

I have a boat

Post by ctrice »

Madriver Outrage, EC, Perception saddle,floatation $800. I am in Winchester
OC_1
Pain Boater

Boat for Sale

Post by OC_1 »

I have a esquif nitro factory equipped with pump saddle and double thigh straps i have it listed under boats and gear for sale if you are interested I am in North Carolina about a half maybe 45 mins from Martinsville or Danville Va
ELGOTTO
C Guru

Post by ELGOTTO »

Hey ctrice, I sent you a pm.
shanesr74

Post by shanesr74 »

wanted to say thanks to all for the advice.
I got my hands on an xl 13.
needs re outfitting but thats part of the fun!!
thanks all
shane