John Sweet C-1 for sale

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

LF Goodman

John Sweet C-1 for sale

Post by LF Goodman »

C-1_2611LLLR.JPG
For sale:

Vintage C-1 (ca. 1977) built by John Sweet, of Nittany Valley Boatworks.

Serial number: NVB106X10277
Length: 13'

Own a classic. This boat is in good shape, has been stored inside and has seen little use since the early 1980’s. It is too big for me, so I want to find it a good home. Photos and information available upon request. Asking $250. Boat is in Madison, Wisconsin.

John Sweet:
The design is based on a Roock-Schmidt imported from Germany, which I bought from Hermann Kerckhoff in 1975. It was one of the early low-volume C-1s, designed after the 1973 rules changes that allowed canoes with the ends lower than the center and C-1s of 70 cm width.

I paddled it for a season and then worked on a cut-down model, which retained the R-S hull but the deck was lowered, especially the stern deck. We called it The Shadow because it was a shadow of its former self. Less than ten were built.

Your boat was built from that mold in February 1977 but further reduced in volume as an experiment. It did slip under gates. This is the only boat of this model ever constructed unless someone else made a mold from it...

Thanks for helping this boat find a good home,

lfgoodman@hotmail.com