1st Run in my Bell Outraged OC-1

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

sreutebu
c

1st Run in my Bell Outraged OC-1

Post by sreutebu »

I picked up this new Bell Outraged carbon fibre/kevlar OC-1 from Jim Ramey who had it in his shed since 2004. He just outfitted it this fall and only paddled it a time or two.

Does anyone have any recommendations for maintaining the hull (other than don't hit rocks!)?
It's a beauty and weights in at 36.2 pounds fully outfitted with airbags.

Here's some photos.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1096543657 ... feat=email#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve

Boat 'til you sink!
clt_capt
C Guru

Re: 1st Run in my Bell Outraged OC-1

Post by clt_capt »

A coat of wax a couple of times a year certainly won't hurt - especially if it will be stored outside. Oiling the gunnels is also a good preventative measure.

Stay off the rocks and it will last you a long time.
canotrouge
C Guru

Post by canotrouge »

Nice looking boat!! Is it the same specs as the madriver outrage?? As for taking care of it, wax it, keep it out of the sun, paddle it hard!!

Nice boat.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

Doesn't Ed Powers have one of those?
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

There was some discussion of the Outraged several years ago. IIRC, Tom Foster got permission from Mad River, and convinced Bell to do a limited run of these. It seems like it might have been motivated by a trip down the Grand, but that might be BS. I think it might show up in his canoeing instructional video too. If anyone is in touch with Tom, I think it would be interesting to get the story nailed down.

Thanks,
Shep
pblanc
CBoats Addict

Post by pblanc »

Smurfwarrior wrote:Doesn't Ed Powers have one of those?
Ed sold his to Bruce M. Well, now I know where two of the four are.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

The photos make it look like the Outraged as a more flat bottom and harder chines than a stock Outrage.
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

The Outraged is a much nicer handling boat than the Outrage. It is also much drier. When placed side by side there are significant differences in the two boats as well. The Outraged was tweaked design wise over the Outrage. Tom Foster mentioned that the royalex had design limitations that the carbon kevlar layup were able to avoid. Even so the production Outraged did not have the optimum curvature at the bow and stern because Bell was unwilling to steam the gunwales or to make jigs for them.
sreutebu
c

Post by sreutebu »

Thanks for the info on the Outraged. I can confirm that it paddles much nicer than my standard Outrage and it's even drier. I had it out for it's maiden run down a very nice II+ III run at high water yesterday and only needed to bail once while the other OC-1 boats (Nitro and Ocoee, although they were tending to hit holes a lot more than me) were bailing every rapid.

I know at some point, I'll probably poke a hole in it at which point I'll be asking for advice on how to best repair it (Gorilla tape's black, so at least it matches!).
Steve

Boat 'til you sink!
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

A real nice looking boat.
At that weight, it will be fast.

I did not know about the 'd' version of the Outrage, the Outraged.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sreutebu
c

Post by sreutebu »

From what Jim Ramey told me, there were only a handful of these Bell "Outraged" ever built (4 or 6?). I'd like to hear from someone who paddled one for a while to see how they held up and how they fixed the eventual damage to the hull that always occurs with composite boats.

I emailed Tom Foster a couple years ago when I heard about this "new" boat, but he didn't reply.
Steve

Boat 'til you sink!