Geting back into the saddle.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

martin

Geting back into the saddle.

Post by martin »

Every year around this time in spring and again in the fall I ponder whether to get back into ww canoeing. The rain falls and the local creeks rise so I climb into moms old rpm and settle for a kayak to quench my thirst. The kayak never was my addiction so with my brand new used alumacraft and a set of construction knee pads and half a bleach container, i set out on a local creek famous for its ledges. You just cant describe the sound of an aluminum canoe colliding with rocks. A great run it was despite loosing the bleach baler and the feeling of boating without thigh straps. needless to say this spring I'm worse off than last. So i figured lets make it stick this time. Its time for a real boat and would like some advice. I started out in 04, I think, without any ww experience, when i pulled out a ancient gyro-max from a dog kennel, hosed it off and set off for the local club clinic at the emory obed. loved this boat even with its severe oil caning. This slow old dinosaur is credited for getting me started without to many bruises or trips upside down through shallow rapids. Quickly I moved on to many a conversion, the gyro-max just wasn't cool. So i tried an x and it was great. there was a slew of dumb play boats I tried out in pools and all they where good for are boats for pools. once i checked out a savage skeeter in a pool and swore it could be the finest boat I have ever paddled. Always wondered how that rocker would treat me on the creeks. Tried out a cascade on a river once and found it to be like the gyro-max, great right, however on this particular river the gyro-max would have won out on its ability to spear baptist church groups in rafts. I converted a perception amp, bought cheap at the Russell Fork. but it was a bit of a glorified pool toy. I landed in a dagger atom once, pool and river best boat i have ever paddled wish i bought it when i had the chance. The dagger atom seemed to suit my style. I like to carve surf and embrace the bad habit of relying on a right side low-brace through rapids. So I push 200 on a good week, stand 6'2 and like to paddle 2-3+ when the rain falls. What is out there for someone of my size and ability? Much has changed since i boated regularly, when the Liquid logic session was the cool boat to have. So is there any decent conversion, or better yet a factory C-1 I may have missed.
Thanks
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Re: Geting back into the saddle.

Post by Craig Smerda »

In a word... nope. :lol:

Lot's of bigger/wider/better kayaks out there these days to convert if you want... and frankly it's amazing how cheap you can pick up a two year old kayak that a double blader hates or wants to turn.

On behalf of the OC1 community... there's been a lot of advancements in open boats in the past three years that you may want to explore. Apparently OC'ing is fun and cool again.

Good luck.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Depends on what you want to spend:)

If you really liked the Atom, just watch for one. They seem to pop up for sale with some regularity.

If you don't mind not hitting rocks, and are doing more 2/3 than creeking, I'd highly recommend checking out a Millbrook Amoeba. Fast, carves well, and front and side surfs well. You won't be doing any stern squirts in it though. For a glass stern squirt but forgiving boat find a Viper. You may find a used New Wave Viper for 300-600, you are not likely to find any Amoebas used.

As Craig mentioned though, if you liked that Skeeter the real innovation is taking place in the OC world right now, not the C1 world. L'Edge, Option, Octane, and the rumored Phiend just to name a few.
Keep the C!
Adam
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

You should find the Millbrook link on Cboats and at least look over the composite C-1s Kaz can make for you. I have a Wide Ride, and it would make a good river runner for you at 200 pounds. Composite c-1s tend to stand up to punishment better than composite OC-1s, partly because of the closed hull's integrity.

Class 5 was making glass Atoms at one point, but I haven't heard whether they would still try. Dagger Atoms in good condition still show up on the market.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

http://millbrookboats.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And click on "Decked Canoes" ....

Where are you located? You might find someone here that has one or more of these boats (and others) and can try them out.

If you near upstate NY (Glens Falls) you are really in luck...
Keep the C!
Adam
martin

Post by martin »

Thanks for all the advice.
So glad to hear that atoms are still popping up on the market however Craig your invite to the oc1 world hasn't fallen on deaf ears. In 04 oc1 was synonymous with hearing aids :wink: happy to hear its cool again. Millbrooke boats always cought my eye if only I could avoid those rocks.:roll: I wonder what hitting rocks in a glass boat sounds like? throwing rolls of quarters out a car window on the freeway. Adam it has come down to what I can spend so while I can dream of that new kevlar boat in the end the check will bounce. At 25 I'm really just getting started out in life so at this point I have to take advantage of depreciation. The gears are turning on the open boat front. Is finding a skeeter these days like finding a unicorn. What's out there in the 600 range. Suppose I can try harder to avoid rocks in trade for the benefits of glass. I'm in lexington ky. They love there kayaks here.
Thanks
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

If you keep your ears open, and watch this site, you'll likely find plenty of glass boats under 600, as well as Atoms and some older open boats. If you are willing to overlook a few (well done) patches you might dip down in to the 300-400 range (especially for Vipers and even Acrobats... though you hadn't asked about squirt boats). You might want to consider an older Slalom design as well - seemingly quite a few of them around.

Speaking of Atom's not sure Gumpy is still selling, but...

https://www.cboats.net/cforum/viewtopic ... &t=7967277" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I don't think I've seen a L'Edge under $800 yet, but you might get lucky.

A willingness to travel, or try and arrange shipping (via boater or common carrier) also helps.

Everything discussed is great for class II/III river running. If you are changing what you'll be boating recommendations are different (for instance, as much as I vastly prefer glass, if you are creeking you want plastic). Thankfully in most river running it is easy to avoid the rocks, and likewise thankfully most glass boats these days are far more durable than most folks think (I've taken some pretty hard hits and the boat only had light scratches... not even repair worthy). Depends on the boats age though - older boats (and that goes for plastic too) may be UV degraded and not be quite as sound. Just refer to the Will Lyons video under the current Cascade thread....
Keep the C!
Adam
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

I have a Dagger Atom for sale in NH.
JKaz......