Mitchell canoe paddles

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

keithcausey
c

Mitchell canoe paddles

Post by keithcausey »

Does anyone know a shop that might have Mitchell Premier carbon/carbon flat blade canoe paddles is stock. Factory says not in production at this time and no one I have located has any left. Thanks for any help, Keith
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Re: Mitchell canoe paddles

Post by Wendy »

I thought NOC had one in stock. Not sure what length they had.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

If you find one where the blade is glass-faced instead, consider taking it. My Mitchell slalom paddle is about 17 years old, glass faced, and the glass gives the blade a bit more flexibility than might be the case with carbon. Many times I've hooked a rock, and felt the blade bend and then slip loose without breaking. My Mitchell has maybe a 5 degree trail in the blade, relative to the shaft, and the blade (and carbon shaft) flexibility gives the effect of a 5 degree bent shaft when hammering hard.

The glass facing makes it easy to spot hidden damage within the blade, while with carbon you can't see it until it gives way. I don't know how much weight carbon saves, but my paddle is lighter by ounces than my carbon faced, carbon shaft Clinch River.
keithcausey
c

Post by keithcausey »

thank you both for your replies. Since I was thinking lighter was better I had elected to get the carbon/carbon but on strength of your experience with the wooden blade with figerglass facing, I changed my mind. NOC did have the Premier Carbon/Wood and I just ordered it. It is good to have folks that share their knowledge and experience. Keith
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

Yeah, I haven't seen a flat blade Mitchell premier in a while, though Jon Lugbill won the Worlds with one back in '89.

I would think that the lens cross section usually seen in flat blade paddles would confer some extra stiffness and strength so that a glass facing might be more than sufficient. My curved blade Mitchell is so thin that it's kind of scary, and surprising that the glass facings have done the job for so long. What I lack in strength, I make up in weight and clumsiness.
matt1
c

Post by matt1 »

you might contact peter mitchell, i just bought a paddle from him... nobody had quite what i wanted, and he got it to me in about 10 days.
"You know, excuse me, this is a damned fine cup of coffee!" - Agent Cooper
Pea Pod
C Guru

Post by Pea Pod »

matt1 wrote:you might contact peter mitchell, i just bought a paddle from him... nobody had quite what i wanted, and he got it to me in about 10 days.
Ditto for me, when I was in Ontario, recently.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

try, blue mountain outfitters in Marysville, pa
Proud Yankee
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

Try canoeing.com

http://www.shopcanoeing.com/collections ... dles-store" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
clt_capt
C Guru

Post by clt_capt »

Paddle Power wrote:Try canoeing.com

http://www.shopcanoeing.com/collections ... dles-store" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last time I purchased from them, the order had to be built by Mitchell and drop shipped to me. Just make sure that they have them in stock and not just special order.
tm262

Post by tm262 »

Give Peter at Mitchell a call. He hooked me up today!
gradencic
Pain Boater

Post by gradencic »

Call Paul at Wind and Water boatworks in butler Pa