WTB: Canoe spray skirt

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

jefffski

WTB: Canoe spray skirt

Post by jefffski »

I am looking to buy a used canoe spray skirt that will fit a clipper tripper. I can't afford a new one, so if you have one or know somebody that has one that is not being used, I would be thrilled to give it a new home.

Jeff
ezwater
C Maven

Re: WTB: Canoe spray skirt

Post by ezwater »

There are very few open canoe spray skirts in use, and certainly even fewer sized to a Clipper Tripper. So your odds of finding a used one for a Clipper Tripper will range from slim to none.

Why do you want one? For whitewater and lake whitecaps, you might be better off with an electric pump. I've heard that a taut spraycover reduces the effect of wind, but if you're wildnerness tripping, a full load of gear will reduce the effect of wind. And accessing that gear to portage, with a spray cover in the way, is a problem. Unless a spray cover has carefully designed entry/exit tunnels for the paddlers, that can create problems.

I inherited a full spray cover, snap-on, with my used MR Guide Solo, but have yet to use it. If you still want to find one, I would go to myccr.com, because I've seen some wildnerness tripper types posting about theirs.
dwinchester
Pain Boater

Post by dwinchester »

I'm guessing you won't have much luck finding a used spray cover. They aren't a real common item even amongst canoers. Those who do have them probably aren't going to give them up anytime soon! Finding one made specifically for your Clipper will be tougher still. That said, it never hurts to ask. And if by chance you can find one used that is made for a boat with similar dimensions, you can probably adapt it to fit your canoe.

Realistically though, you'll probably need to either buy one new or you make your own. Two of the best commercially available spray covers I've found are made by Northwater and Cooke Custom Sewing. Both make great products and I'd highly recommend either. Both companies will sew a cover to fit your boat, come in a variety of styles, and can come with accessories (for extra $) like a clear map pocket, a spare paddle holder, zippers for easy access to your gear etc. The down side of course is the price. If you have the scratch they're probably worth it. If you're like most of us though you're probably on a budget. So...

In '05 my girlfriend and I took a 1986 fiberglass Sundowner 1,300 miles or so down the Mackenzie river. We outfitted the boat with a nylon spray cover that we made in her garage a couple days before we left. The cover worked great and shedding wind and water and really proved its worth shedding waves on Lake Athabasca. On a 12 mile crossing it was a huge relief to see water, that would have otherwise come over the gunnels and into the already heavily loaded boat, run right back into the lake.

We used the information in Cliff Jacobsen's "Expedition Canoeing" to make the cover. The information there is a general explanation of how to do it, not step by step directions. It'll get you started, though you may have to fill in the blanks a little bit but that's part of the fun, right? I think we had about $200 in materials in it. That's assuming you have access to a sewing machine and someone who knows how to use it. That's big savings compared to a commercially made spray deck. If you do decide to go that route let me know. I may be able to answer some questions. Hope this helps.
ncdavid
CBoats Addict

Post by ncdavid »

Here's one. Wrong size. Maybe you could convert it?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canoe-Spray-Cov ... 4d0e9ae166" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not mine.