Wanted: A few ruptured open boats

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Geoffingeorgia
C Boater

Wanted: A few ruptured open boats

Post by Geoffingeorgia »

I'm looking for some boats that are no longer river worthy, that I can use to try to build a new sub-7' boat

I've done a little resin work this summer, and I have a source for Carbon fiber/kevlar at a not too dear price, so I thought, if I could come up with a decent bow/stern and a decent flat bottom, I could build a mockk-up out of parts, cover it in very thin foam, to level out the joints, and make myself a form to start laying up fiber and resin.
If it works, I'll make a few more, for when I wear out the first

So, if you have a bow/stern, or a boat that is beyond repair, I'd love to take it off your hands, and I'll keep you updated as to the progress over the next few months

Geoffingeorgia@hotmail.com

I'd also welcome any (constructive) criticism/advice

Thanks,
Geoff
ezwater
C Maven

Re: Wanted: A few ruptured open boats

Post by ezwater »

Would you settle for a few ruptured duckies? 8)
Geoffingeorgia
C Boater

Post by Geoffingeorgia »

Ha! No, I don't think those will help. Thanks, though
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

I've got a old dagger prophet that has been cut and glassed back together and a Plastic L'edge that has been broken and welded more times than I care to mention, your welcome to either or both...
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
Geoffingeorgia
C Boater

Post by Geoffingeorgia »

AWESOME!! Both are shells I thought of mimicing. I'll figure out when I can get up there, or maybe we can meet up at a river in the near future!
rivercowboy
C Boater

Post by rivercowboy »

I've been wanting to cut down an Ocoee to see if it would make a good kids boat. Keep seeing a lot of interest in boats for smaller kids and tired of seeing only Jackson making a boat for the wee ones.
Would love to see some smaller scale, affordable, open canoes hit the market.
Charlie Wilkerson
ACA Certified Whitewater Canoe Instructor
Dickson, TN
Geoffingeorgia
C Boater

Post by Geoffingeorgia »

Agreed, Charlie. The only kids I see in boats their size are in custom strip built kayaks that cost thousands of dollars.

Roto molding isn't a cheap business to get into. $25K oven, $10K per mold and god knows what else. If I hit the lottery I'll hire a couple of boat designers and start cranking them out on the cheap.
Geoffingeorgia
C Boater

Post by Geoffingeorgia »

Bump!!
Reviving this thread.got any old rotomolded boats that are cluttering up your garage? Wife tired of walking around that playboat with the busted hull?
I'll gladly take any PE boats you want to get rid of (even if they say Jackson on them)
I want to Frankenstein some plastic, so I'm looking for donors.
If you'd like I'll keep you updated as to the projects and if you want to meet up once one is completed, you can paddle it and give me feedback

Let me know what you e got and I'll find bs a way to get it picked up.