20/20 reviews for 230# please

Any Boat, Gear, or outdoor related item you have for sale. If you use it on a paddling trip, or to prepare for one, it's fair game.

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Mayberry

20/20 reviews for 230# please

Post by Mayberry »

Hello, I started paddling solo whitewater last spring and have enjoyed it. I have a Genesis which has given me a good introduction and is really a great tripping boat also. I have been considering the 20/20 as a jump to something smaller and more manoeuvrable. I am 6’2”, 230lbs going on 50 soon so not looking to do anything too reckless. I have heard it mentioned that the 20/20 suits bigger folk also but not heard any actual reviews. Please let me know if you have one and your impressions, specially if you are around my size. As for the rocky runs or the ones I don’t think I will make, I hope to get a Condor.
YoungOldMan
c

Re: 20/20 reviews for 230# please

Post by YoungOldMan »

I am 6'2 210lbs +-
I feel the 20/20 would float you fine at 230lbs.
It is a buoyant springy hull that likes to be driven as opposed to just floated.
She has a volume that I appreciate and I do not feel oversized for it as I do in many other boats. The Option, Viper 11, & L'edge all felt too small for me even though the L'edge is just one foot shorter and very similar design. The Viper 11 is of course one foot longer.
She can attain well for the size and carves fast coming and going.
Condor is a great boat as well but definitely more of a tank that plows over anything but feels like overkill on all but fast big water. She's happy in the Ocoee.
That said, condor makes those snappy peelouts and ferries when the current is ripping.
They are both great boats.
The 20/20 would surely be more popular if molded in plastic.
Glass is fine if you don't mind occasional repair work.
Now is the time to order as Kaz has announced his retirement this summer.
Mayberry

Post by Mayberry »

Great reply, thank you. I think that’s it really, I don’t want to feel to claustrophobic or hemmed in. I was looking at Kaz’ list and it was the Defiant and the 20/20 that interested me. I know some people my size have the Outrage or Rival but it is mixed reviews and I want something that sits proud on the water.
YoungOldMan
c

Post by YoungOldMan »

I suppose it is the "largest small canoe"
Without being so piggish as the octane 91