Can anyone post a picture of the Splash canoe

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

yarnellboat
C Maven

Post by yarnellboat »

Draximus, What do you expect when your first posts on a forum are out-of-blue pointed about a good-news story like creating a ww canoe for kids?

This is great! It doesn't happen often enough that a really new canoe gets created, never mind for a whole new market that directly encourages growth of the sport! The last thing these canoe designers and marketers need is any kind of discouragement or grief.

Given that Andy and others involved with the Splash have already posted in this very thread and elsewhere on this and other canoeing forums - the development of the Splash has been pretty public (and they've signed their actual names to their posts) - I'd figure those involved don't share your concerns.

Thanks Andy, Al, Masons, Richs, and the kids, for getting this idea/boat out there!! :D I can't wait until I see a kid in BC paddling a splash (or anybody under 25 paddling ww in a canoe)!

Pat Yarnell.
Last edited by yarnellboat on Mon Apr 02, 2007 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenneth
CBoats.net Staff

carefull

Post by kenneth »

Please be aware that us moderators/admins are keeping a close eye on this thread. I strongly urge everyone to stay on topic, which I see as "boats for the young ones" and the Splash in particular. I hope we can put the arguments aside now and return to normalcy. Thanks for understanding.
Gail R
Pain Boater

Post by Gail R »

Hi Squeeky knee (Shawn)

I've got a kid in each of the platforms. There are advantages and disadvantages to both depending on the kids personality and comfort in water. The Yaker is in a fun 1 which is a performance boat just like it's grown up version. If she goes into a wave hole and doesn't paddle agressively she is going to surf or spin or as is the usual case end up upside down. Her line of sight in that thing absolutely sucks making river scouting hard as she's grown up in the scouting mode and likes t make her own choices. On the plus side is that when she remembers to paddle hard, she can get out of most situations and she has a brace on both sides. She always seems to take waves in the chest and it shocks her for a second and she stops forward momentum even if it is just a second it changes her line
She is actually hoping she'll be big enough soon for a Jackson Hero which is more of a creeker (my understanding anyway) She sometimes has problems getting to her skirt to pop it as her first instint is to get air....we are working on it in the pool. Since the kayak requires at least a wet exit in moving water, I usually tell other parents to test this out and see if the kid is comfortable reaching forward and popping the skirt
Don't get me wrong, the Jackson Fun is an amasing boat, she likes it, she just isn't an agressive person and would be more comfortable trying new things in a kayak with more volume in the front end and speed through holes....

If your daughter is doing instinctual crossovers that's fab. My OC-1 child is very much like that....even crosses over in small holes. She hates having her head under water. We were contiplating a kayak for her like her big sister when Al told us he and Andy were cooking up an kids OC'1; we put our order in right away. So far she has excelled in the Splash and what drawbacks center of gravity and not having a brace on her left haven't seemed to make a lot of difference as she is instinctual that she ahs to keep the boat moving and she has two sides to paddle on.
Not having a parent who kayaks means we get classes for the oldest so she can hang with people who can give her tips.
We were down to one of the local wave spots on the Ottawa yesterday and one little fella (11 year old) who took some kakay courses at Palmerfest with my eldest was there surfing up a storm in a Fun 1 and half....so progression is quick with a kid willing to push themselves and is comfortable in water.
probably didn't tell you anything you didn't already know....boils down to comfort in water and what types of rivers the eventually want to do
draximus
c

Post by draximus »

Sorry everyone
Dont get me wrong,I also think that it is very cool that getting young kids in boats is a good thing. The work that everyone has put forth in the creation of the splash is outstanding Im sure. All Im saying,I guess, is lets give credit to those who have earned it.
adamin
CBoats.net Staff

Post by adamin »

Originally I was thinking of sending this just to Draximus, but I decided it would be better to keep things out in the open....

As far as I can see, reading this thread, credit HAS been given due to both the designer, and the folks that are working to build the boat. In promotion Al Greve (whom I do not know, and have never met) seems to focus on the boat, and the kids...nothing wrong with that. He at least mentions others that have helped along the way...which is more than most boat designers do...

Specifically, giving credit to the folks BUILDING the boats, and FINISHING the plug design usually does not happen by the designer, or anyone else. Yes, there are some folks that turn in a "finished" plug to a boat builder, but they are a rarity. Usually it's an ugly prototype that is may have the right design, but not be smooth or true...a look at the slalom boating and squirt boating world will show you that pretty quickly.

I will agree, however, that until you have taken a design and a rough plug and turned it into a finished mold, be it work you are doing start to finish, or picking up from someone else along the way, you really don't have an idea how much work it is to finish a plug so it's ready to pull a mold off of.

So, if you have something constructive to add, please do so, be it your experience, or others who may also have helped with the project that Al Greve can confirm - I'm all for giving credit to ALL of them, as it is hard work and a thankless job. Naming names is a GOOD thing here 8)

If you're here to make snide comments and fan the flames, please register at many of the other boards out there where it is accepted. It will not be here, and your posts will be removed, and if you continue the behavior you will be censored (I believe you would be the second in CBoats history...and no, I will not discuss the first).

In short (which I rarely am these days it seems) - we welcome you to participate in the discussions here, but not to make unsubstantiated claims. You say other folks helped...fine - name them and give them credit for what they did, and stop making accusations and not backing them up. If you continue that behavior you will not be welcome here. Sorry to seem so harsh, but if you read the vast majority of the thousands of posts here you will see we are an accepting and constructive group, with the occasional good natured kidding around (that we moderators tone down on occasion, too).

As the one cataloging boats in the "Virtual Museum" here, I am all for getting the full story, as long as it is the correct, verified one.

As a side note, in New Wave literature (and therefore "common knowledge") the Edge, Aerobat, and Acrobat are incorrectly attributed to Jon Lugbill and Davey Hearn. Imagine what it's like being Peter Zurflieh, having worked thousands of hours on those boats, and not receive credit....

Adam
CBoats.net Founder and Admin
draximus
c

Post by draximus »

OK