creek boats as C1's

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

creek boats as C1's

Post by Sir Adam »

creek boats as C1's
by atomman atomman

I have an atom I've been paddling for 2 years now (used to OC1) and was thinking of creek boats as C1's. I don't see very many and was wondering if they didn't make good C1's or if there was another reason? I like the atom and just recently did the Lower Gauley without any problem but I was thinking that creeks like the Big Laurel(NC) would be better in a creek boat than the Atom. (I ran the BL last year in the Atom at zero on the bridge gauge and had a blast, but maneuverability is limited in low water). Any thoughts or suggestions?
atomman

Posted on Sep 26, 2002, 6:09 AM

Gradient
by Peter Peter

I just bought a gradient to convert. It looks like it would be a lot of fun. However, the cockpit is just a little too narrow for me (I'm a big guy). I checked the measurements of it versus my cascade before I bought it, and it was 1"-2" narrower (Can't remember now. I had plenty of room in the cascade so I didn't worry... Oh well, now I have a broken cascade, and a boat that doesn't fit (Unless I want to K-1, which sounds like as much fun as a labotomy.)
I've also had several really good boaters tell me that cascades make excellent creek boats. After my first creeking experience in one last weekend (see post below) I think I'll just stick to OC-1 for steep stuff.

Peter

Posted on Sep 26, 2002, 6:29 AM

Bliss-stick Huka
by Jeremy Jeremy

If you're considering converting a boat, check out the Huka. The cockpit it HUGH (not just long, but wide too) It's a good bit wider than most other creekers too. As soon as I saw it, I thought that it would make an awesome c-1 creeker. Unfortunately, my c-boating isn't up to the kind of stuff I want to run in a creek boat, so my huka is remaining a kayak (for the time being)

Jeremy

Posted on Sep 26, 2002, 7:39 AM

Thanks.....
by atomman

It looks interesting. I'm 6' 190lbs and I've tried some other C1's (redline, S:5, etc..) but they are to narrow, my thighs rub on the sides. I can't find stats for the Huka (I understand there are only a few in the US) how wide, if you know, is the cockpit?
atomman

Posted on Sep 26, 2002, 11:06 AM

Just took a tape measure to it...
by Jeremy Jeremy

All measurements are to the inside of the cocpit rim.
length: 33in
Max width (hip area): ~17 in
width just behind thighbrace tabs: 16.5 in
distance from back of cockpit to thighbrace tabs: 18 in
the thighbrace tabs stick out about 1-1.5 inches.

width of boat: 26 in
Length of boat 7'9"

Hope this helps
Jeremy

Posted on Sep 26, 2002, 2:28 PM

Thanks for the measurements
by atomman atomman

I appreciate the asistance in this. I went to the Tellico for the first time last weekend and what a rush. Anyway my atom is long and the edges weren't helping in all the cross currents. I hope to go to the NOC sale this year and hopefully see some creek boats to convert (or already converted). Probably do the sale Fri and head to the Ocoee Sat/Sun.

Posted on Oct 1, 2002, 6:12 AM

OC1 or C1?
by Craig Smerda Craig Smerda

I paddle A Pyranha Spanishfly on everything...Green Narrows, Gauley, Ottowa you name it. It is the best C-boat ever to creek with...why...(1) no straps to fumble with for easy entrance and exit while scouting "big" stuff. (2) It is a boof machine with a short waterline and gobs of rocker. It resurfaces "faster" than creek K1's. (3) Even full to the rim with water it is manueverable and stable as a brick. (4) I hate sprayskirts.

Don't just take my word for it...ask anyone who paddle's them on a regular basis....besides they are way more comfortable.

Craig

Posted on Sep 26, 2002, 12:12 PM

Re: creek boats as C1's
by dick

i was going through the same problem this spring. i thought the prijon embudo wood make a great creeker. i just bought a h2 245 for a creek/big water boat. i haven't finished outfitting it yet, but i think it will be a great boat.
dick

Posted on Sep 26, 2002, 2:17 PM

wavesport Y
by James

The only creek C1 I have used is a wavesport Y, after using a savage skeeter OC1. Just ran the seven sisters section on the Rouge in Quebec and found the Y excellent, really lands well from drops. Was initially a little disappointed with the primary stability, but it is working out fine. Big cockpit, but I`m 6 ft, 175lbs.

I`m sure many other newer creekboats are great, I`d go flat hull, not displacement hull. Was looking at a LL huck a friend was paddling K1, I`d get that if $$$ was no trouble, looked great.

Posted on Sep 30, 2002, 6:50 AM
Keep the C!
Adam