new to this closed deck thing

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

by Logan

I'm a very avid oc-1er and I'm looking to get into c-1 as well. I'm looking for advice/ help finding a boat that will suit my needs and body. I'm 5'06 and 190lbs. I'm looking for mostly for a playboat, but also want to run big water in it (Kennebec gorge, Dead river in high water). I realize that this is what everyone is looking for! 90% of my paddling will be at a park and play spot, and I'd love to learn to do all kinds of fancy tricks and vertical moves as well. I've looked at tons of kayaks under 9 feet, but I'm interested in how these boats convert and perform as c-1s.

And hey, if anyone has something completely beaten down they'd sell to a guy in Maine as a charity case, that would be great as well! Thanks in advance for the info.

Posted on Sep 27, 2002, 8:24 AM

Hmmmm
by Sir Adam

Greetings...

Roy Hunter up in Greeneville had a Riot boat that should suit your needs (River Runner these days, but was a hot playboat, and is CHEAP). Personnally I'd go longer and glass (like, oh, say the Viper Brandon has for sale a few posts down...) for surfing, speed, and big water, but cartwheeling would be a chore. Check out Cboats.net for Viper pictures...http://www.cboats.net/viper.html

C-ya!
Sir Adam

Posted on Sep 27, 2002, 8:51 AM

Roy's old post (not sure it's still for sale, but worth a try!)
by Sir Adam

------
In Greenville, Maine. Fine condition. Not interested in shipping it. $200.

E-mail direct, please: ir_hunter@hotmail.com

Posted on Sep 27, 2002, 8:56 AM

4 boats near Bangor...
by Brandon Brandon

The Viper does sound like what you want. I also have a redline($500) and a shock and an Amp ($500)
Email me @ tgripman@yhoo.com if you are intrested.

Posted on Sep 27, 2002, 10:16 AM

Respond to this message

Wave Sport Z
by Dennis

If you happen to come upon a good deal on a WS Z snag it. It would fit your criteria. It is also very easy to convert to c-1, and should be stable for you. There might be some used Z c-1s floating around out there too.

Dennis

Posted on Sep 28, 2002, 6:14 PM

A Second Vote for the Z-1!
by rob weum

I've got a Z also and I'm the same weight as you though taller(6'5") and I love the boat. There's plenty of room even for my long legs and I found it to be quite stable for a boat that was 3 feet shorter than my cascade, so much so that after one season I decided to sell the cascade.I mostly stick to class II and class III water and I've never run the rivers you mentioned so I can't really comment on running big water with it. Although I had a blast on the Snake river in Wyoming with it and thats relatively big boily water compared to what we usually see here in Minnesota. Good luck.
Rob

Posted on Oct 2, 2002, 5:57 AM
Keep the C!
Adam