Robson CU FLY?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

leclercraven
C Guru

Robson CU FLY?

Post by leclercraven »

I was wondering if anybody could give me feedback on the Cu Fly? I'm not sure anymore if my small C-1, a Liquidlogic V56 is right for me. I've got a job and family, so there is no way in heck I can spend countless hours a week to practice on a wave. I would like to be able to do some park and play, but I'm not looking to become a world champ, just looking for something small and friendly to do a bit of basic surfing. I want stability and a bit of speed which my C-1 doesn't have at all. Having a squirt is fun but I think I would rather have to dump but be able to surf a bit than having a wobbly, unstable, slow but dry ride. Would a Spanish Fly be better?
Shep
CBoats Addict

Re: Robson CU FLY?

Post by Shep »

The Spanish Fly is a better all-around play boat. In my (very) limited experience, the CUFly is too slicey at the ends for play in small holes. The bow digs in and fills the boat from the front. The Spanish Fly bow, being pointier, sheds water to the sides more effectively, meaning you don't auto-ender in small holes. I think the CUFly would be the superior play boat on larger waves, but I don't have access to those around here, which is why I sold the CUFly.

I welcome the comments of those with more experience than I... Hope this helps.

Shep
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

The Spanish Fly is a good all-around boat - it may have started as a rodeo boat, but has found use as river runner and creeker, too. Heck, Dooley posted a respectable slalom time in one.
pmp
CBoats Addict

Post by pmp »

Hey martin Talbot is selling a CU fly if you're interested.
they're great on small features and waves. a pretty slow boat, but who cares once you're on the wave.
-very wide so transition from edge to edge for a blunt is slower than newer designs. super stable!
paul
bubblestreet.ca
theracane.ca
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

pmp wrote:Hey martin Talbot is selling a CU fly if you're interested.
they're great on small features and waves. a pretty slow boat, but who cares once you're on the wave.
-very wide so transition from edge to edge for a blunt is slower than newer designs. super stable!
paul
Paul and I had a fun day on the Ottawa in our CU's once... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmCryHPb2po" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're a better wave boat than a hole boat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9XV5vViB_E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has a big wide flat planing surface that works. Heck... ask Jeremy... he widened the Blackfly after the 2007 Worlds and before it went to production for better wave performance. The Blackfly is though a far better overall performer by far... but on a nice wave the CU is a hoot.
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Shep
CBoats Addict

Post by Shep »

Good to hear from the people who actually know what they are talking about. Sounds like I wasn't completely off-base. :)
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

I just recently got a cufly (from Ottawa). I had some fun with it on the Ottawa but it was a challenge to catch a lot of rides, getting used to 4 foot wide boily eddy lines on my offside... But the waves I did catch boy does it surf.

So I sent it home to Yukon and in our local hole its has been a hoot. Its a small hole by Ottawa standards but it is a great play spot and is retentive which makes play so much more fun. The Cufly is the most stable boat I have had in a hole and the hull is very loose. Maybe our hole is the perfect shape for the boat. I can keep the bow up on the green just leaning back and its like I am surfing on the last foot of the tail.
It spins really easy, sides surfs awesome. rolls relatively easy and sometimes with almost no water.

I am glad I brought it back. It will help me be a better boater. The boat makes play easier and more fun.
Canoe Instructor and full time canoe fanatic.