Ottawa: Fun, Friends, Boat Destruction and Near Misses

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Ottawa: Fun, Friends, Boat Destruction and Near Misses

Post by NZMatt »

First off....Adam, don't worry, it wasn't the Groove. :)

Secondly, whenever something significant happens, part of my processing of the event is to share it with others. This allows it to serve as a lesson or warning, and also helps me get my head around the issues. Near misses are important lessons to us all, let others not make the same mistakes. I'm going to provide a description of what happened, wihtout glossing things over, and then discuss some of my lessons and thoughts. I'd appreciate other feedback if you have any.

So, last week I headde up to the Ottawa with two of my best friends who moved to CA last year. They'd never been to the Ottawa when they lived out here, so this was a chance for us to get back together and paddle again and a chance for them to experience one of the great rivers. We met up Thursday morning and spent the day playboating to recover from a lack of sleep after travelling. Friday we ran the Main channel and had an awesome time. I managed to ride Babyface in my OC1 and also got airbourne going over the first wave in Norman's Hair. Saturday the plan was to get some playboating in early before the river got crowded and then head out so we weren't driving until all hours of the night.

Two of my friends decided to play at Babyface while myself and another, Mike, decided to play at the Garburetor. For those who haven't been there, this is a truly excellent playspot and this was my first time on it in a C-boat. I caught it on the fly on my way down the rapid and had my first ride. Bouncy as all hades and it was all I could do to maintain some semblance of control and surf off the side of the wave. Grabbed the eddy and headed back for another go. This time I missed my ferry and ended up peeling out (offside peel out on the strongest eedy line I have ever dealt with). Try again...made the ferry and caught the wave. Got the bouncing under control and started to move around a bit. Threw in a spin and right at the end caught my stern edge and flipped and washed off the wave.

I went to roll up and immediately things didn't feel right. I felt some water and a bit of movement in my skirt and realised my skirt had blown. I got upright, but flipped again. Missed a roll or two and then got upright again. Unfortunately by now my boat was full of water and was acting more like a submarine - I had loaned my floatation to my friends as I hadn't considered it at all likely that I'd swmi out of my C1 (out of the OC1 yes, but not out of the C1). When I came upright, my boat (er...submarine) was so far under water that the wate level was over the base of my pfd, around the bottom of my rib cage. A wave hit me and I flipped again. I knew I couldn't hope to control the boat and keep it upright with it full of water, so I decided to bail. I went to release my lap belt (aka suicide strap) and found the buckle, but I couldn't find the release button. I tried again to orient my fingers, but still no luck. I noticed that I hadn't snugged the strap down tight and I had a bit of leeway to move my legs. I managed to slip my left leg out of the straps, get my head up and grab a breath, then I slpped my right leg out - it was harder, but I managed to do it.

OK, ditch the boat and swim like crazy to get to the right spot to swim over the drop right below the Garb. I saw my boat washed through the narrow slot to the left of where I wanted to be...I saw it pin and realised that I didn't have time to make it to themain channel and swim the clean line. I really don't know what happened next. I don't know if I instinctively turned and swam at the boat as with a strainer or if I was still trying to swim for the main channel, but I went down the wrong channel and ended up swimming over the top of my pinned boat. I made it, briefly stopped in the hole behind the boat and drop and then washed clear. I still had my paddle in my hand and managed to swim with it to the eddy at the bottom of the drop, across the bottom of the main jet of current.

Mike made it down to me just before I reached the shore. He had seen the boat pin and had initially thought I was still in it, until he caught sight of me below the drop. He helped me get my paddle to shore as I swam the last few meters. Then we had to deal with my boat.

My initial thought was to swim across the jet of current to the rock separating the main channel to the small channel my boat was pinned in, having Mike set safety below in his boat. I rapidly discarded this when I looked at the current and a bit of reason returned. I similarly discarded the thought of a boat-assisted swim. The current there is way too strong. Instead I went back and got my OC1 from the top of the rapid and came down in that, intending to catch the eddy and get out onto the rock beside the boat. I had a clean line, but missed the eddy. I tried again, but after two full days of paddling and the stress of the swim I just didn't have the strength and control to make the ferry from either direction to gain the eddy. I didn't want to just borrow Mike's kayak as that would leave no one to set safety. There were some other kayakers there, but they were all busy playing at the Garb. One had commented as he put in to give a holler if we needed assistance, but instead I went and asked the leader of a Huge Experiences group that was just putting on. I sent Mike to get our car (parked at the top of the road) and David (from Huge) and I made it out to the rock in kayaks - he directly and me after a ferry-carry-ferry sequence.

Quick note: at this point I was more concerned about the pelican case containing my camera that was in the boat than about the boat itself....I have other boats, but had only just got this camera.

David made one of the most impressive solo-wades (paddle-assisted) that I have seen, wading across the 3-4 feet of powerful whitewater separating the pinned boat from the island. He managed to clip a throwbag onto the boat, made it back to the island and then we pulled. With both of us pulling hard, we initially got no movement, then the line came slack. David had accidentally clipped the throwbag instead of the rope to the boat (NB: he was making the clip by feel through the water spraying over the boat). He waded out agian and this time got into the eddy behind the boat. He handed me the paddle and clipped the rope to the boat. He then proceeded to grab the boat in both hands and wrestle it out of the pin. It took him several tries but then he got it to move and then he got it free. He dove clear as the boat came free and then grabbed the line as I pendulumed him and the boat back to the island.

The boat was mangled, but the camera case was still in the boat, and even better, it was completely dry inside. Mike had made it back and we threw him a line to pendulum the boat back to shore. When he signaled he was ready I kicked the boat out into the current. He hadn't done this before and the force of the current took him by surprise, even though he was braced. He managed to regain his balance and hold the boat, but did take some skin off his hands in the process.

David went off to join his group and I paddled back over to the shore. I took some photos of the boat (I can give these to you to post if you want Adam) and the site, then we packed up and headed off....neither of us felt like playing anymore after that.

So....what went wrong and what were the lessons I have learned from this:

1. Never use that suicide belt again.

2. Always test release a suicide belt <b>at a safe location IN STRONG CURRENT</b> before you use it for real. I had tested this belt and managed to release it in a gentle section of current at a local site. It took me a few seconds to find the buckle and release it, but I had no trouble. That was about 4 months ago. If you can't release the belt <b>IMMEDIATELY</b> in a calm state of mind at a safe, but swiftly flowing, location, then you may not be able to release it when it counts. I will probably use a suicide belt again, but I will be far more careful in choosing my release mechanism. With this one I just could not feel the release button with water-logged hands in a stressed state of mind.

3. Always use floatation in your boat. Had I had floatation in my boat, it would not have filled with water and become a complete submarine. I probably could have kept it upright and safely run the next channel. In the future I will use bow and stern floatation in my C1s. I was confident I would not need to pull my skirt and bail, so I lent my floatation to my friend without really thinking about it...I hadn't anticipated my skirt pulling itself for me.

4. When using a rope with an object (swimmer or boat) in current, use a body belay and ensure you have extremely solid bracing before taking the load. Ideally have someone to back you up and hold onto you. Never wrap the rope around your arm (it looked to me from the Island that Mike might have done that when penduluming the boat).

5. I held onto my paddle when I swam. This is always my first instinct since they're a bitch of a thing to lose. However, if I had ditched my paddle and swum long crazy, I might have been able to make the swim across to the main channel and avoided swimming over the pinned boat. If I am ever in a similar situation again, I will definitely ditch the paddle and swim. I'm a strong swimmer, but have a lot of trouble swimming with my paddle. It actually occurred to me to drop it, while I was swimming, but I decided against it. Bad idea.

6. I wasn't carrying my rope or pin kit. I was on the Ottawa and didn't think it too much of a likelihood up there on the big water. I always carry these when river running....but not normally when just purely playboating. Also, I rarely carry a pin kit on the Ottawa even though I always carry it in NY: Pins can happen everywhere not just on boney, creeky rivers. My rescue gear was in my car....always carry your rescue gear. Have it accessible, even if it's not in your boat while you're playboating (you can always just leave it on shore). In this case it wouldn't have made much difference since my gear would have been in the pinned boat.

7. I use a kayak skirt on my C1 (kayak conversion). As such, there is a lot of stress on the skirt at the back of the boat. This is where it blew. If I had an actualy C1 skirt, with the tunnel set further forward, this may not have happened. I'm not going to rush out and buy a C1 skirt, but it's something to think about.

What went/did-we-do right:

1. When we needed help, we asked for it. Anyone leading a course should have rescue training. They may not be able to take time away from their course to help, but then again they may be able to...they may even be able to turn it into a learning opportunity for their class.

2. I have taken rescue courses in the past...in fact I had a refresher just a week ago at staff training for the group I teach with. As such, I knew what to do and was able to evaluate safe options to free the pinned boat. I still would have preferred to have another person setting safety in a boat below the scene, but what we had worked. If you haven't taken a rescue course (formal or informal) take one! And don't forget to practise.

3. I discarded unsafe rescue options rather than jupming right in. Always think first...then act...especially when under stress. Once all the people are accounted for, there is time to collect ourselves and plan the recovery before jumping in there.

4. I had my camera firmly clipped into my boat so that when I swam, it stayed with my boat.

There may be other lessons and such to be learned from this. If you have thoughts, please share them so we can all learn from this mistake. I keep having the what-ifs running through my mind. If I hadn't been able to get out of my boat, if I hadn't kept my head and managed to slide out of my straps (I am very grateful that I hadn't fully snugged them down!) then I would most likely have been seriously injured or possibly killed. Makes one stop and think, doesn't it.

I was unhurt beyond a slight graze/bruise on one shin , I recovered my camera undamaged and I think I might even be able to get the boat back into shape with the aid of a heat gun. I'm counting my self very lucky. I don't like to need luck on the river.

Thanks for reading through this. I hope you never have to go through the same.

Matt
Timzjatl
C Guru

Post by Timzjatl »

Was that David Hughes from Huge? He's 5-8" or so, dark hair, probbably paddling a yellow LL Space cadet. He's a super great guy, and definitely a good one to have had around. Thats a tough situation fo sure. I just acquired several airplane seatbelts from a friend to use for suicide belts. They're specifically made to release under tension. Nice story, sorry you had to go through all of that
Tim
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

David

Post by NZMatt »

I didn't catch David's last name, but he was about 5'8" I'd guess and yes, a really nice guy. Hair colour...I thought it was blondish, but I didn't see it for long and I was somewhat stressed. I may have been mistaken. Where did you get those airplane seat buckles from? Those are meant to be the best thing.

Matt
Timzjatl
C Guru

Post by Timzjatl »

I have a buddy that works for delta... They replace all of the belts in each aircraft on a regular basis. He hooked me up with a few. I am installing one in my vibe tonight. Did david have a goatee? Oh and about David Hughes... he paddled a C1 skip for LL with Barry for about half of last season. He showed me on of the LL saddles, and I still am trying to get one.
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Glad to hear you're OK!

Post by Sir Adam »

First off, glad to hear you're OK and survived the incident. Sounds like you did everything right witht the circumstances that you were presented with (ok, perhaps you should have ditched the paddle, or tried to "paddle" with it (I've found this works well in flatwater, but does take a lot of energy).

Secondly, nice comment in the beginning :D .

I've only had one truely epic swim from a CBoat (the Alleyway on the Kennebec at 5000cfs or so), and it wasn't near as *exciting* as yours. Thank you for sharing your experience. One of these days I'll be adding a piece to CBoats about lapbelts-care to help write it? (all other opinions are welcome too-though I "run" CBoats, I really think of this as "our" knowledge base-I've certainly learned most of what I know from other folks on this board and its predecesor!)
Keep the C!
Adam
jKelly-Rand

Post by jKelly-Rand »

An interesting adventure that we all dream about. I'm glad yours turned out well. Its a timely tale because I think I have found the source to the solution for the suicide strap release. Its called a SNAP SHACKLE. Do a google search for that item and you should come up with a number of distributors. Credit for this discovery should be given to Brettal and his employer Neil at Nashoba Paddlers. I took a look at Brett's Viper this weekend and he had just installed this nifty little device. It is a high strength spring loaded device that you attach to the center loop of your thigh strap anchor. You then clip each ring of the straps into the snap ring. The catch has a pull ring that you must add some line and an object easy to grasp when in a hurry like a small wiffle ball. When the ring is pulled the staps are released instantly. The shackles are small and expensive in stainless steel ( $25 ) for one with a 3/4" diameter. They are typically used in sailing to quickly release spinnakers according to Neil. There may be a cheaper source in other metals, the one Brett had was in bronze or similar red metal.

til next
Jim
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

No criticism here

Post by KNeal »

Did I read your post correctly when you stated that you paddled a kyack :o ? Hmmm, if that was the case, we may have to put this issue before the CBoat Bored (sic) :wink:

Seriously, I have no criticisms or critiques to add. Your post really feeds us other paddlers a WHOLE lot of very useful information in a nasty situation where your life really is at jeopardy.

The part about testing the "suicide" straps was right on, as is the need to test your wet exit ability in a situation as close to real as you safely can get. When I got munched in Big Nasty, I was physically not able to grab my release strap on my sprayskirt. Not because I could not find it, but because the force of the tubulent hydraulic simply prevented me from muscling my hands up the rim of my cockpit. Luckily, I was able to push my way out and that popped the skirt. A "suicide" belt would have prevented me from pushing out in that circumstance.

Swimming with your paddle is second nature. I am a strong swimmer as well, and I have had to remind myself on occasions to consciously ditch the paddle so I can swim. No surprise there.

Recovering a pinned boat creeps me out at times. Going to the pinned boat can be as risky as the unintended swim. Glad to hear that you have taken courses and recruited the assistance of another capable boater (though he was a kyacker :x . Oh, well. They must be good for something :) ) . By the way, you owe that guy at least a 6 pack of his favorite golden brewed beverage. That's tradition and good karma (better to keep the kyackers friendly to us).

Regarding flotation in your boat. They will do you no good when trying to paddle a submerged boat to shore while you are still in the current. The boat will always sit too deep, unless you are in an open boat, of course. When that skirt pops and you're still in the current with some distance to safety, ditch the boat and swim.

I am glad you are safe and okay. Good luck getting the boat fixed. At least it wasn't glass :o . All of us using this forum should read and heed your post.

KNeal
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

glad you are ok!

Post by the great gonzo »

Matt, glad to hear you are o.k!
I just bought a C1 (Delirious, love that boat!) and it is equipped with a lap belt. I haven't used it yet, as I don't feel comfy enough yet with the thought of a wet exit in strong current, although I have practiced in flat and moderate water, and the foam bulkhead seems to hold me in there reasonably enough. The belt is a North waters belt with a cam buckle with a rope and a small ggrab ball attached to it.

I am curious to know what kind of buckle and release mechanism your boat has, particularly since I bought a 2nd North Water lap belt that I plan to put into my Prelude, since I noticed that the foam bulkhead fit in that boat is looser than in the Delirious and I have had problems rolling sometimes because I slide sometimes, particularly when playing in holes somewhat out of the saddle.

By the way, I had a swim in the same rapid about 2 month ago in my Prelude, royally screwed up my line, flipped, tried to roll, started to slip out of the outfitting and since I was getting close to Bus Eater I decided to bail. As i noticed that it was going to be a close call I decided to ditch the paddle and swim like crazy for shore. I just made it, but my boat went into Bus Eater, but luckily came out of it right away and unscathed. My new paddle was gone, but I think it was better to loose a paddle than to risk going into Bus Eater.

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Brettal
C Guru

Post by Brettal »

The snap shackle! That's it! Such a wonderful device. Pretty sure the one in my Viper is indeed bronze, though I'd have to ask Neal; he just happened to have it kicking around. Alternatively, you can use two (attached by a single length of rope), one for each thigh strap. That's the setup that Neal (not KNeal) put in his XL15 and XL13, and it works just as well (not that I've needed to use it, since I'll just slide out if I do tip :) ). Credit goes to him, since he's been using it for years - just never spread the word! :roll:
Of course, as Jim pointed out, they are on the expensive side, especially when compared to the airplane seatbelts you can get for free with connections (or if you know where they dump them?), but they're more versatile.
Last edited by Brettal on Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James
C Guru

Post by James »

Scary story, thanks for relating it. I had a terribly frightening swim from my playboat on the Gull river upper section a few years ago. Panic set in grabbing for my seatbelt with heavy winter paddling gloves. Thanks for sharing the experience, I paddle the Ottawa a lot without thinking these things through at all anymore.

Like Martin, I too would like to know what kind of buckle you were using, just to keep in mind. I am now using the same kind of system as Tim, an airplane seatbelt. About the northwater system, I would just be careful how much extra strap sticks out past the fold over clip. If there is a long tail of extra strap, there is the possibility that it could fold over on itself and jam the release. (Same applies for a PFD rescue belt).

I think Neal is right, even with full floatation a swamped C boat is too much to handle, unfortunately, but that has been my experience as well.

After my worst swims I have had to think back to figure out what happened to my paddle. Twice it has remained in my hand, without any plan whatsoever. It becomes pretty dam instinctive to hold on tight!

Glad it worked out alright.
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Buckles and Repairs

Post by NZMatt »

Hi Guys

Thanks heaps for your thoughts and support. It always helps to think things out to discuss them with other folks.

To answer some of the questions posted:

KNeal - yep I owe David big time, but offering him a six pack while he's teaching a bunch of teenagers didn't seem like the right move. I replaced his rope with mine, which wasn't as nice a rope as I think his was spectra and also gave him my pin kit (biners, prussiks, webbing and a pulley). If I can find their address I'm also going to send a thank you note, with something appropriate if I can figure a way, back to his base so he'll get it when he gets there. And yes, I did paddle a kyack. When I'm really tired and stressed having the other blade makes it a lot easier powering up very narrow (boat width) boily eddies....that's one skill I still lack in my OC - I can't quite keep her straight enough under full power for a really narrow confused eddy (more of an eddy line really). That's only my second time this season though - and the first was required since I was sitting my ACA Kayak instructors certification. They wouldn't let me paddle my canoe for some reason (':roll:')

Martin and James, you both asked about the buckle. Well, I tried a cam buckle briefly, but found I couldn't snug it tight enough; I didn't want a side release buckle since they sometimes jam if you release them under pressure with an uneven pull; I didn't have access to a airline seat belt release buckle, so I tried something different. It's a one-button release similar to a side release buckle. Disadvantage is that it requires pushing instead of just a quick yank to release. It's an easy push untensioned, but since I've been exmining it afterwrads, I do note that the more tension it is under, the more force required to release it. It wasn't a problem when I practised with it. I'm going to be posting some pictures online in a day or so and will include a page looking at the outfitting setup I had. The buckle is clearly visible in some of those shots - and I'll also post a close up.

Now to repairs....I attakced the boat with a heat gun last night and managed to get the worst of the dents out to my satisfaction by combining a heat gun, a hammer and a rubber mallet. Only thing was I was slightly too aggressive with the hammer trying to straighten a serious kink in the plastic just where it flattens out prior to forming into the cockpit combing. I managed to create about a 2inch crack. :-? Guess I'll now get to go and find out how to use a plastic welder.... live and learn. Might as well try as the boat is otherwise going to be perfectly serviceable and it's not exactly got any resale value now 8) I still have some panelbeating to do on the aluminium straps I used to anchor the saddle, but that shouldn't be too hard to do and I was just about to replace the hip hugger anyway - the old one is totalled.

Anyway, again folks, thanks for your support. May this not happen to anyone else.

Matt
Last edited by NZMatt on Sun Sep 28, 2003 11:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Well...

Post by PAC »

Good to hear you ok (then and now) with what happened.
Thanks for the post too! Stories like this make you think (and be thankful that it wasn't you!)!
A couple things that came to my mind were:
1. Boat floation comes in handy. Whether you're trying to move a boat to shore or using it as a surf board to get through nasty stuff. Hey skirts pop! :o
2. Having rescue gear isn't about you it's about your buddies. If your trained and have it your buds should too. If not... well!!! :evil:
3. I learned to carry a break down paddle (shorter and basically a river salvage composite but servicable). I never want to be up the creek without a spare.
4. I keep colored duct tape on my paddles. For three reasons. a. One I warp the tape where I can feel it just in case I lose contact with the shaft and have to reposition by feel; b. you never know when your going to need duct tape on the river; and c. you can see it easier in big water, etc.
I too try to hang on to my stick if i can but if I think it's in the way of a self rescue, well thats what credit cards are for! :(
Overall, I think you did things right based on what was going on (your OK so you did good) since you never truly know what flow is going to do to you! :-?
Be safe and thanks again!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Buckle and outfitting picture

Post by NZMatt »

Hi Guys

I said I'd post a picture of the outfitting, but I never managed to get back here and post the link. Here it is:

http://isc.astro.cornell.edu/~don/pictu ... .sized.jpg

The buckle is one of these:

http://www.itwnexus.com/catalog/index.p ... 64dc8c2c71

A note on the rest of the outfitting - I use double-equalizing thigh straps and the basic pedastal is from an old Gyromax I think. It's mounted on a series of aluminum straps bent to fit the inside of the hull (atleast it was - some of these got badly enoguh bent that I'm going to have to rework this - this time I'll just drill the hull), tapped and screwed together with 3/8" machine screws. I'd probably do all of this again except that buckle. It was fairly time consuming to get the straps bent right, but it meant I didn't have to drill new holes in the hull. What I would change is the hip-hugger setup I've used. It's not really visible in that photo, but consisted of another aluminum strap (foamed out) mounted on uprights made of the same material and mounted in the old seat-mount holes, along with the straps and the back starp holding the pedastal. Problem was that the aluminum wasn't stiff enough and tended to bend out of the ideal shape. I was just about to replace it with hip pads made from a chopping board and a foam back pad.

I have more info on this outfitting if anyone wants it.

Cheers

Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....