seeking converting advice can anyone help

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

seeking converting advice can anyone help

Post by Guest »

I've been paddling a gyramax since I started boating about a year ago. she's falling apart :cry:

So I started in a c-1 and have still never set foot in a kayak.

I came across a perception amp at the Russell fork rendezvous and decided that that was what I wanted to paddle I always liked surfing and really liked the challenge of paddling a playboat. So I thought it would work and picked it up for 200 dollars.

here is the problem I only have 130 dollars to pick up a skirt and outfit it. I'm still in high school so the money’s tight . So can anyone help me.
thank you for your time
Ronnie
AYockey
C Guru

johnrsweet.com

Post by AYockey »

i got all the foam I needed plus some for about 25 bucks. Also they have materials, and directions to make a skirt. Mine came out pretty crappy, but didn't cost that much. It sort of works, but makes a decent pool skirt. johnrsweet.com is amazing.

Alex
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

You should also check out the earlier post about American Whitewater selling C1 skirts for $25. Where are you located?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

ANother idea

Post by PAC »

If the AWA skirts don't work for you (I think they are all oval cockpit skirt but I could be wrong so call them) a regular kayak skirt might work for you ( I have used a lea' Vieve (sp?) k skirt on an Amp and on other boats - when I was thinner :oops: ). The Amp takes a standard skirt and if your not too tall or to heavy you can most likely get away with a K skirt. Just make sure to take the boat to the shop, etc. when you go to buy to make sure. get in the boat with it on and flex it out. The failure point most likely will be the sides.
Also check out boater talk gear swap you might get one through them (C or K).
Finally, contact mountain surf, or other manufacture and tell them your story they may know of an older / used skirt or blem that might be made available for sale.
Outfitting should be inexpensive so you should make it at your budget.
Again where are you located - a local might lone you one too until you get the cash! Also be nice to the folks - santa if coming!!!! :D
PS: The Amp is a fine all around boat so you should be happy in it! Good luck and let us know how it works out! 8)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I am not that familiar with the outfitting in the Gyramax, but since he is falling apart, you may be able to remove saddle, straps and other bits and pieces and reuse them in your Amp.
This may save you a lot of time and grief.
That's what I'll do with the factory console in my Atom once she is falling apart...

martin

martin's paddlin lesson #3 of the weekend:

it's not particularly bright to tackle a big water run like the main channel of the Ottawa as first real river in your new slicy Delirious C1, if all you have done before in it was play in the local playspot and if your other boats are an Atom and a Prelude, but it certainly provides great entertainment for your paddling buddies...
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Gyramax saddle

Post by NZMatt »

Hiya Ronnie

I would like to second Martin's idea of using the gyramax saddle. I picked up a plastic saddle online and it turned out to be an old gyramax one. That's what I built the outfitting around in my Bliss Stick Blitz Special conversion and it worked out great. If you send me an email through the board I can send you a link to some pics if you want some ideas too.

Good luck with it!

Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
RONNIE

Post by RONNIE »

Here is the problem

I don't own the gyramax i may have forgot to mention this :oops:

Its someone else’s and I was borrowing it so id better buy a some sort of outfitting device. i could use the perception saddle it might spark world war iii in my home so id like to stear away from that. dose anyone have a suggestion
I need help
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

ronnie, maybe you can sweettalk 8) the owner of the Gyramax into giving you the saddle, since a saddle without a decent boat is useless anyway. :wink:

If this does not work, then get a few blocks of minicell foam and make your own outfitting. The Delirious C1 I bought a few weeks ago has a homemade saddle and bulkhead outfitting (sorry, no digital camera, so I can't send you pics of it) and I like it even better than the dagger outfitting in my Atom.
Check the outfitting pages here for hints and guidance on how to do it.

hope this helps somewhat.

martin
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

forgot to mention that, check out the european cboater website, under 'Equipment' and then 'Fitting' there are some good ideas and pictures of conversions and good pointers on how to do it.

good luck!

martin

http://www.cboater.com/
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Also

Post by PAC »

Ronnie
Figure out what you want to do with the outfitting, tweak it in your mind, then .... walk away from it for a day or two. Then come back and rethink the issues and the outfitting.
You can always do it cheaper and usually do it better. Don't be afraid of being innovative or using stuff found laying about the garage. Also since your in school go ask the shop teacher for thoughts. Or ask an engineer or carpenter. Some of the simples ideas work the best. And asking professionals give you fresh ideas. Keep us posted on how it works out!
My $.01 (cus ...I can't afford more). 8)
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

FYI

Post by PAC »

C1 seat for sale on Boater talk.....
http://boatertalk.com/gear-detail.php?gid=7205
Good luck!!!!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

FYI

Post by PAC »

C1 seat for sale on Boater talk.....
http://boatertalk.com/gear-detail.php?gid=7205
Good luck!!!!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Another C1 seat on Boatertalk

Post by NZMatt »

Here's another one:

http://boatertalk.com/gear-detail.php?gid=6042

He's asking a bit much for it though I think... you can buy jus tthe seat (no foam) for $55 brand new:

http://www.kayakoutfitting.com/seat/index.html

Hope this helps out some.
NZMatt

NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Cheap Sprayskirts

Post by NZMatt »

Hi Ronnie

MKC is selling off sprayskirts cheap. They're K1 skirts, but they'll do to get you started. I believe they're selling Neoprene sprayskirts for $10 canadian (ie. $7us). They have some other stuff cheap too - this is all old rental/school gear, but it'll get you started. Here's the link:

http://www.owl-mkc.ca/mkc/boats.htm
NZMatt