Mohawk Shaman

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dixie_boater
C Guru

Mohawk Shaman

Post by dixie_boater »

I demoed the Mohawk line at GAF last Saturday. I paddled the Probe series and the Shaman. I enjoyed the Shaman the most :) and want to know if anyone has experience with this boat on III/IV. How does it handle drops over 6 ft.? If no one on the board paddles a Shaman, could someone put me in contact with a Shaman owner?

Michael
Martyn

Post by Martyn »

I've heard of a Shaman being paddled on bigger drops, and it is a fantastic boat. I suspect if you can paddle it dry, it will be fine. From what I have heard, the boat was designed as a slalom racer. Because weight was a real issue, the boat isn't as strong as some others. For example, my understanding is that the gunwales do not have aluminum in them for their entire length.

I'm not sure if there is a way to contact Harold Deal, the boat designer, from the Mohawk web site. I would try to get hold of him. He was pretty approachable when I was talking to him a couple of years ago.

Martyn

Harold Deal

Post by Guest »

I've got a Shaman and find it to be a great bigger boat. It has some little quirks, but overall it's very easy and enjoyable to paddle. I think you'll find it to be plenty stable on the drops and in class III/IV water...it's very comfortable in squirrely water.
I wish it carved better, but its hull shape is interesting, fun learning the effects from engaging the different parts of the hull and jet ferries are a blast. It likes to be paddled aggressively, and is amazingly fast.
I would recommend it highly as a beginner boat too, because it's initial and secondary stability is incredible...but it is much more agile than the other boats in the 12'-7"-13' range I've paddled and I wouldn't classify it as a boat that one might find they've outgrown as a Probe 12 or Impulse for instance. It handles a bit of a load in tripping situations well too.

You can contact Harold from the Hemlock Canoes site...they make a really nice composite version of the Shaman. He's quite helpful and interesting to talk to.

Mikey B
dixie_boater
C Guru

Post by dixie_boater »

I also found it to be a good big boat. I am 6'-0" & 225 lbs. and like larger hulls. I found the Shaman to ferry extremely well for a 12'-7" long hull. The front chines didn't carve turns like boats with harder chines, but it still turned better than other boats I've demoed recently. I liked its hull speed and it bow surfed quite well.

I mostly paddle the Chattooga Sect. IV, Ocoee, Little River Canyon of AL, Tellico, South Sauty and other small creeks. I need a boat that can handle these runs and still be fun to play holes/waves. I know there is no perfect boat for everything I like to paddle. I have paddled large (13' to 14'), soft chined boats for a long time and am ready to get something more responsive. I hate to give up the great rolling ability my old Whitesells though. Do you roll your Shaman? I didn't get a chance to try rolling the boat. I couldn't lock into the boat with the older Mohawk oufitting (single thigh retainer) even though I adjusted the strap as the Mohawk rep instructed. I have a new Beluga saddle I plan to put in my next boat. I like bulkhead set-ups more than thigh straps.

Thanks for the info Mikey B and Martyn!

Michael

Rolling

Post by Guest »

I think the Shaman rolls very easily. I have the single strap system from Mohawk, and was worried it wouldn't be tight enough (personally I like the Mike Yee style of strapping...I feel like I'm one with the hull more so than with my present system), but it has proven to be fine. I can even roll up consistently with my feet not on the footpegs. It does hold alot of water though, although it still manuevers pretty good then...but bigger bags in the front would be nice.

MB
dixie_boater
C Guru

Hull Material

Post by dixie_boater »

MB,

Good to hear you find it easy to roll. I thought it would be given the excellent initial and final stability. Is your boat made of Royalex or R84?

Thanks

Michael

Royalex or R-84

Post by Guest »

I went with Royalex as the weight difference wasn't that much...although the boat does indeed feel somewhat heavy when paddling...overall I've been very happy with my Shaman, and am surprised that it's not a more popular boat (although it is big compared to the favored boats today) since it paddles so well.
Of course after I get my Delirious all outfitted and out playing in it next year, I might be hooked on C-boats 8)

Mikey B