Spring Armada-June 3,4, North Branch of the Potomac

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Spring Armada-June 3,4, North Branch of the Potomac

Post by Sir Adam »

Well, since I keep posting that the armada is that weekend, I may as well make it official! 88% agreed that was the best date anyway...democracy in action!

Do we have anyone who wants to help organize this year? KNeal? DaveM? Anyone "local" to DC / VA / WV? Who might be able to get some of the usual "slalom contingent" out :wink: .

Right now I'm planning the "usual"-camp at the same campground as last year, unless someone has a better idea, boat the North Branch Saturday, and the first half of it on Sunday.

I'd be up for a squirt boat gathering Friday the 2nd if anyone else is interested...and a local guide who would know where a mysterable seam was that time of year would be very much appreciated (even if they use two blades...).

Currently I'm planning on bringing the follow boats, though if there is anything else someone wants to try out let me know:

Maven (mine)
Maven (demo) (unless I pass it off to PAC before then 8) )
Wheelboy? or Groove...or master cut Acrobat...

If Kenneth's knee is up to it, and I can convince him to hop into the Tomahawk I might haul that down too for a change...otherwise he'll be in a ducky :D .

When we get closer, and the "new" site is live, I'll have a page up on the Armada, with some past images too.

[Made it sticky, Adam! Scott]
Keep the C!
Adam
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Looks good to me Adam. I really liked that campground. I'd like to do some squirtin on Friday even if it's just flatwater. IgottagetinaMaven :P
I can bring the following boats:
Viper - full cut
Acrobat - 1/2" cut
Acrobat - master cut
Big EZ
Forplay
Sequel
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

Post by squeakyknee »

I'd like to meet up Friday ,the mystery corn boat will be along as well.
Shawn
Last edited by squeakyknee on Tue Mar 28, 2006 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

bump
LEW
C Guru

Post by LEW »

Lil'D and I will be there.
Blast
Zoom
MAVEN (I hope to have it done in time, 1/4 or 1/2" cut - not sure yet)
may have room for the Oxygen or Extrabat
We will be heading further south the week after the Armada, possibly down to NOC. We'll be looking for others to paddle with if anyone is available. Dave N.?

Larry and Shelly
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Official Info

Post by Sir Adam »

Well, I guess I'll toss my hat in the ring to help organize it this year...

Important 2006 Armada notes:

First off, information on the North Branch of the Potomac:
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/2430

Friday June 2 (for those interested-please let me know so i can send pertinent info)-C1 Squirt boat gathering, possibly on the Cheat, side trip (morning?) to PS Composites!!

Camp at Robert Craig Campground as with last year. As I recall the sites in the "70's" without electric hookups is what we went for last year.

http://www.reserveamerica.com/jsp/commo ... index.html

As with last year I recommend "buddying up", as two vehicles are allowed per site, and the cost is the same. If he can come, and is willing, I call dibs on the Ginger Beer King (SBroam) 8)

Saturday, June 3rd
Meet at the North Branch Potomac (NBP) takeout for the Bloomington section on Saturday, June 3 between 9:30 a.m. and 10:00.

- Set shuttle and leave for the putin by 10:00 a.m.

- Start going down the NBP by 11:00

- Paddle, play, try out different boats and be off the river around 4:00

- Assault the Westernport township and its citizens (at least the good employees at Fox's Pizza) and feast

- Sleep at some point

Sunday, June 4th
- Wake up Sunday morningish and discuss where to paddle (if not already done)--First half of the North Branch, or ?

- Go boat, then go home

Other important notes:
1) What does this cost? Other than the camping fee, and parking fee at the river, it's free.
2) Where do I sign up? Right here! Just post you're coming so we know to look for you, or just show up! Be sure to introduce yourself (we'll be hard to miss...anything THAT many OC and C boaters are in one spot...). I know we all suspected we saw Longboatin' last year, but I wish he'd have said Hi! (admittedly i should have done more than give him a not of approval a few times from my craft...but that's the way we do things up in the woods I'm from, what can I say!)
3) What's the water like? Well, since we're holding out until June, I suspect it will be a bit warmer than in the past. It's rained almost every year...we'll see if this year will be any different! Rating-wise it's Class II with one possible Class III rapid. We'll guide everyone through it as always. And hey, if MikeW can go through it in an Acrobat in a bow stall, how bad can it be?
4) Anything I should bring? A good positive attitude and a few stories / ideas to share! Most of us feel the drive was worth it even before we hit the water, as talking about technique and outfitting with other CBoaters always causes you to learn something new. Be sure to have a helmet, lifevest, and a throwrope (a first aid kit is always a good idea too). In short, whatever you usually take boating! Camera's are always welcome too...it would be great to get some video again this year too 8)
Keep the C!
Adam
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

I'm planning on comming up thursday and hope to go the squirt gathering, allthough the only long and slender boat I can jam my big wompus body in is an Atom.

Boats I can bring;

Bigboy
Atom
Rodeo
Zealot (maybe, depends on if I finish working on it)
H:3

Looking forward to finally making it to an Armada

Marshall
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Odd numbered sites 71 through 89, plus sites 88 & 90 have no electricity. I'm in site 75. Acording to the web-site, all of the other sites are available, which means that nobody else has reserved a site yet.

Remember that the "gates are closed 10pm til 8am. Campers should plan to arrive before that time or contact the park. Contact the park at (304) 355-2346." I think we were pushing the clock last year & they were still there.

I'll get there sometime on Thursday. There may be some squirtboating done on the lake then :D

Count me in for Friday's festivities :P

I plan to bring:
1/2" cut Acrobat
master cut Acrobat

I can bring if you let me know that you want to paddle them:
full cut Viper
Big EZ
Forplay
Sequel
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Squirt fest...

Post by PAC »

How many plan to squirt? Where would be this little fest be held (do we call it an "Adam Drop" in honor of Sir Adam. No slight to Jimmy (Jimmy Cup) of course)?
DC (Potomic) - 3hrs to NBofP
VW (Cheat Narrows) - 1.5 hr to NBofP
Will folks be mostly be coming from the south (aka Mike and Marshall) or the north (aka Adam and Lew)? Just trying to figure it out and plan.
I want to bring my daughter but she has school on Friday and, well, would not be a canadite for a squirt session. But things are subject to change there!
Let me know. Paul C.

I will bring
- Acrobat c1
- Shredder S2 (as a possible video platform)
also packed if there is interest...
- Wheel Boy c1
- Hydra Duet c2 and / or Gemini c2 (if others are interested or are bringing their young'ns).
- XXX c1
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I vote AGAINST the Potomac :evil: It's not worth the traffic :evil:

Park & sink would be good for "Adam Drop"
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I've got it on my calendar! Adam, would you reserve the site?

And to agree with Mike, as much I loved the Potomac (swim aside) I hated that traffic... I'd also have to vote against anything north of the NBP, that's about as far as I can make it.

If I don't already have my Viper, I'll be getting it that weekend. I could bring some other boats, while I can't imagine I have anything more interesting than the Viper, I could bring these :
  • leaky Maverick + (for sale!)
    Slasher
    Rockit conversion
    Score conversion
    ME
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Location, location, location....

Post by PAC »

Scott can you and others (Mike, Marshall, etc.) make it a bit West by about 1.5 hours for either the Cheat Narrows or Lower Yough, for the "Adam Drop"?
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
TomAnon
C Guru

Post by TomAnon »

Cheat Narrows has such good access along its entire length you could almost take a golf bag approach to it.
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

The Narrows is one of my favorites. The pool below calamity should provide some interesting water.

Also, I may want to pair up at the camp site with someone, my usuall host and paddle partner is away that weekend.

till next
Jim
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Cheat Narrows....

Post by PAC »

Info as to the Cheat Narrows from http://www.angstkayak.com/archives/myst ... antic.html
The Mystery Spot Below Calamity
This place has never been properly named like most mystery holes.( It is now known as Fascination ally) It lies about 100 yards below Calamity Rock Rapid on the "Narrows" section of the Cheat- 10 miles upstream of the Canyon. It is frequented at very low levels (below 1') in the summer because you can drive to it and get meager but consistent downtime (DT). At higher levels the eddy line gets kind of squirrely and consistent DT is harder to get- but not impossible. The best eddyline lies on "Attainer's Right" (river left). There the river kicks sharply off a shoreside rock and forms seams with other lesser slabs in the area. You use a steep charc with your bow partially submerged before you engage and try to drop quickly. You might get just a couple seconds downtime but you can get consistent good results. This is a good place to work on Black Attacks and is where Jim developed Light Loops. It's also an excellent place to do Screws.

The attainer's left eddy line can yield results also but takes a different handling. The easiest way to get good DT is to go way to the top of the eddy and use a backcut mystery. You can even ride the mystery into the main slab and across it into the eddy on the river left shore- stay underwater and leave that eddy on a mystery also. Another way to mystery on this side is to come out much lower- maybe 20' downstream and use a "regular" charc and try to link up with seams squishing around in the middle of the slab there. Just keep winging down and being persistent and you will travel a bit but quite likely get acceptable to good DT. Local boaters also enjoy swimming through mysteries at these low levels and often get major DT and travel big distances.
Some good vid of FA can be found on the Metal Flake DVD / Video found at http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Trail ... lakes1.htm showing the charc from both the left and right approach.
Not that I'll be able to pull either off! :-)

More info can be found at http://americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/2346

Enjoy!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator