Another GoPro question

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Alden
CBoats Addict

Another GoPro question

Post by Alden »

I am just about to join the ranks of GoPro owners. My question is: what editing software do folks use to edit the footage?

Thanks,

Alden
Bob Wiggins
C Guru

Re: Another GoPro question

Post by Bob Wiggins »

adobe premier and aftereffects. nothing better. as long as you have a fast enough computer.
Bob
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

If you have a PC you can start with something you most likely already have on your computer called Windows Movie Maker... it's pretty basic but you already paid for it so...
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

Alden I've used a very cheap editor called Power Director 8 they are now at PD 10 ($80-ish).... my 8 version has some issues with working smoothly with go pro video in the preview aspect of the editor, but I've certainly used gopro in my videos. If you find cheap gopro1 cameras I'd pass on them for the new gopro2.
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

oh and alden a couple things Buy a 2nd battery now so you don't keep missing the last big drop. Get anti fog strips for something like $15. don't buy a PNY memory card. put the camera in 16x9 60 frames a second @ 720p for starters and work from there. best of luck.
dank
c

Post by dank »

I have PD 10 and it has no issues editing go pro video from what I have done so far.
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

Craig Smerda wrote:If you have a PC you can start with something you most likely already have on your computer called Windows Movie Maker... it's pretty basic but you already paid for it so...
Don't have a GoPro, but do have a Kodak Zx5. I am using Windows Movie Maker, and for a first time videographer / editor, I think the Windows Movie Maker works pretty good. Like Craig said, it was free...I can't afford the Adobe package.

Here is my first attempt at editing, from last weekend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1Z9dtTXqk0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

If you're on a Mac, I can't say enough good things about JES Deinterlacer: http://jeschot.home.xs4all.nl/home.html It's not a editor, but does all sorts of conversions (such as splitting 60p footage into 50% speed 30p video so you can get all your frames in less powerful editors)
Jeremy Laucks
Owner, Blackfly Canoes
http://www.blackflycanoes.com
Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting

Post by Todhunter »

While we're on the subject - should I be shooting in 1080p, or 720p with 60 fps? Does 1080p still only use 30 fps?
Matt Todhunter
Ridge Spirit Outfitting - Custom Bulkhead Canoe Saddles
Einar
CBoats Addict

1080 or 720 ?

Post by Einar »

1080 vs 720p ?
Check out your potential host sites for upload times and rules and $$$$. Vimeo is upfront in explaining this and also has an excellent online Video school--it's free.
720p uploads quicker but 1080 looks great and is worth it IMHO. It'll also allow you to cut it into future project as tech specs move forward in time.
Have fun.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

HD GoPro 1 would only do 60 frames at the max res of 720p no higher.

anyone looking at a gopro should really consider a Contour instead. I like the picture better but the housing isn't as small and easy to mount as the gopro.
Einar
CBoats Addict

Go Pro white balance

Post by Einar »

I was talking with a snowboarder using a new, this Christmas, Go Pro 2 and he mentioned that he had to down load a "fix" as the Go Pro 2 had a AWB problem handling "bright white" and produced a pinkcast overall. Easy fix apparently.

I like the Contour, a friend has one. If side mounting it on the helmet i would put it on your helmet onside to avoid the the T grip top of the paddle dipping up into and out of each shot. Kinda destroys
the "clean" pov.

Off the cuff, one of the advantages of the 1080p is that you can strongly crop into the image to alter the 180 degree angle into a medium close up and you will still keep image quality. Same pov angle, just juices up the shot selection.

**Background: I use a Panasonic Lumix T2 and edit on a Mac. I really like the Tiffen Steadi Cam mount ($200 aprox.). Now that Christmas is done with I'll probably get one.
Einar
CBoats Addict

Tiffen Stedi cam

Post by Einar »

Tiffen Steadicam Smoothee

http://steadicam.com/smoothee_home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Post by Creeker »

@Einar

do you really need that pistol grip stabilizer? Seems overkill. Have you worked a bunch with the camera as is with good holding skills/practice. I think if you ebayed your camera and bought a better weighted camera it might work better for your end result with less stuff needed to take pics/video. Pistol grips are some of the worst cameras out there and really Really suck when you need to use zooming while recording is going on.
Smurfwarrior
C Maven

Post by Smurfwarrior »

I use Movie Maker for my vids (cuz I dont have anything else) but what are people using to convert the MP4 footage into a usable format for MM? Do the other editors use the MP4 gopro files without conversion?