Advantages of an OC1?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Louie

Post by Louie »

Sorry I didn't see you were from Penn. that explains a lot tell Longboat and Lengty hello, BTW they don't understand either, also if you legs and knees are sore you propberly have one of those sissy <edited> pumps and you were able to go "hours" with out gettin out of your boat and strechin your legs, just like the buttboater
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

:o Ummmm...dude... :(
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Louie, you should spend less time on the internet and more time boating...

TGG!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
Wndwalkr
C Boater

Hmmm...

Post by Wndwalkr »

Was that a Paradigm going off that rock? Now if only that knucklehead cold have stuck the landing... Nice post Kevin.

I not only have a sissy pump, I have two sissy pumps.

I have no intentions of jumping ship, it was just the first time anyone has ever asked me what advantages there were to the OC1 in ww.

I did think of one today - you can pee in your boat and then do a roll an pump it all out. That wouldn't work so good in a kayak.

Mike
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

I did think of one today - you can pee in your boat and then do a roll an pump it all out. That wouldn't work so good in a kayak.
while it is true most yakers pee sitting down, it should be noted that this would be ill advised in a c-1 as well
Joe
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

gumpy wrote:
while it is true most yakers pee sitting down, it should be noted that this would be ill advised in a c-1 as well

Wait till I get the perception saddle groover specs figured!

Complete with bilge pump flush system for long runs.
Proud Yankee
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

Craig Smerda wrote:try doing this in a kayak!!! :lol:

http://www.chicagowhitewater.org/cwa/im ... nd-big.jpg

I just found me a new background picture!

Here's an advantage: you can run rapids in your big ol' barge with skill and grace.

Here's another advantage: if a (double bladed?) playboater is egregiously hogging a nice wave, you can *make room* with your 12 ft. long boat.

Phreon
Last edited by phreon on Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

Open boats burn longer than kayaks.
FURZTROCKEN!
Yukon
Yukan Canoe

Post by Yukon »

well for me I can put a dead moose into a canoe where it would never fit into a kayak. there is no better way to add stability to your canoe then add 800-1000 of meat into the bottom for ballast, but they sure turn slow and take forever to stop.

Canoes are part of being Canadian eh! Hard to make love in a kayak and according to the late Pierre Burton a true Canadian can make love in a canoe

Which is why I own several tandems as well as a Voyageur....
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

This Bill Pulliam quote caught my attention:

"to someone who has never used a skirt, this remains the most intimidating aspect of kayaking."

I wonder if that's true for most whitewater open canoers.
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

I wouldn't call this an advantage just a different perspective. Using the sides of the canoe. Much like deck boaters use the deck of the boat to manuver alot of the time you can use the sides of the canoe to manuver as well. Using waves to change direction or speed up and using pillows to change direction are some examples. Most pillow moves that really screw with deck boaters I find really easy in the openboat by using the side as another floating surface. Just a thought.
fleckbass
CBoats Addict

Post by fleckbass »

At average water levels, I believe that an OC-1 is actually a drier thus warmer ride in the winter than a decked boat. A decked boat is already down in the water and doesn't have the hull to block waves. A cold wave in the face, eww!!!
I went raftin' once. I think it was in Ohio.

http://www.easternpaddling.com
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I like most of the discussion, but I do want to point out one item - not all decked boats are low volume, or short:) As such, the wave blocking, or staying "dry" in big water can also be done with a decked boat... it just has to be the right one.

I may enjoy my Cquirt boats most of the time, but early season, or late season, when there may be ice in the river too, I'll be in a nice comfy high volume boat:) Warm, and dry:).

To the point of why an OC1, or C1 for that matter, it all comes down to what you enjoy. I think there is a great deal of value hopping in different boats / different types of craft. I find CBoats easier, and more comfortable, than kayaks, but that's just me. I have a greater appreciation for what kayakers go through, and how much fun even a ducky can be (an absolute blast).
Keep the C!
Adam
jrsh92
C Guru

Post by jrsh92 »

A group i paddle with every summer includes a yearly cycle of newbie boaters coming in and progressing... I was one myself not too long ago. I got hooked on solo canoe because it was more of a challenge but also felt more fun-- the first open boat I paddled demanded proper lean at all times entering and exiting eddies and threatened to flip whenever I maneuvered it... but once I realized how much I needed to lean to get the boat to behave, it was fast and carved beautifully. Running a rapid smoothly in a long OC1 looks and feels graceful.
The other paddlers i've seen who end up paddling solo boats over kayaks do it because they find it easier, though. I've seen a kid who's paddled solo canoe twice take a Nitro down class 3, unable to do much with the boat except keep it right side up... but make it to the bottom nevertheless. To a new paddler an open boat is a lot more capable of just bombing down a rapid, and also has the advantage of not making them feel "trapped" by a skirt... and once they've gotten used to canoe because it was less intimidating, that person will spend more time on the water, get more practice, seek more instruction, and eventually end up a pretty advanced canoer.