WW Boats that changed the World

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

The "Boat that changed the World" the most for me... was the Savage Skeeter/Superfly... because it was ROTOMOLDED... which is the BEST thing that ever happened to canoes from my viewpoint. Shapes that were nearly impossible in Royalex or even glass for that matter were all possible in the Rotomolding process. Strong, durable and resistant to abrasion... BRILLIANT!!! Once again you can thank Frankie Hubbard for convincing someone in the industry to take that first step... I do every time I go paddling!!! :D
phreon
CBoats Addict

Post by phreon »

I'm intrigued that the Mohawk Challenger was mentioned at the beginning of this thread as possibly being one of the first solo whitewater canoes. Was it ever considered to be a true whitewater boat? I thought most people considered them (and their descendant, the Odyssey) to be more of a river tripper and all round general boat. I figured that by today's standards, it is regarded as a monster at 14'2". The kayakers who see me coming sure do!

Of course my interest is vested; my first (and only) OC-1 is a Challenger I restored back to life. It isn't nearly as maneuverable as other OC-1s I've had an opportunity to paddle, but it's still a blast (to this newbie).

Phreon
Alden
CBoats Addict

boatin

Post by Alden »

It doesn't really fit under this thread exactly, but I thought folks might be interested in this:

http://web.mac.com/bennc1/Site/blog/blog.html

It's Benn Fraker (a c-1 racer)'s website, and on it you can see pictures of the new boat he is designing, the Absolute, based off a Vajda Lizard 07.

I think this is mentionable as a sign of health in American slalom racing. I'm not sure an American racer has designed his own boat for his own strengths since Scott Shipley and Davey Hearn retired. I think it's a good sign.

Alden
mrs.psyco

Pscho's nickname

Post by mrs.psyco »

Someone sent me this link, and I just wanted to mention that Pscho's (hold the Y) nicknaming indeed occurred at Baby Falls. I know this is true because I had to explain it to my family when we got married.
David doesn't do the Internet, but I'm printing out your discussion on boats - he'll enjoy the read, and be tickled he was included in the conversation.
I promise you'll see him back on the water as soon as he finishes our house. He's aiming for spring, if all the nails continue to go in straight.
cheers,
Mrs. Pscho
Louie

How about March

Post by Louie »

the Canadians always ask about him and really enjoyed seenin you all last year. My phone number is the same, if you lost it you can get it from Bailey, BTW you know his dad passed away on Christmas eve.
philcanoe
C Maven

Re: Pscho's nickname

Post by philcanoe »

mrs.psyco wrote:Someone sent me this link, and I just wanted to mention that Pscho's (hold the Y) nicknaming indeed occurred at Baby Falls. I know this is true because I had to explain it to my family when we got married.
David doesn't do the Internet, but I'm printing out your discussion on boats - he'll enjoy the read, and be tickled he was included in the conversation.
I promise you'll see him back on the water as soon as he finishes our house. He's aiming for spring, if all the nails continue to go in straight.
cheers,
Mrs. Pscho
Hey MJ...

..depends on the time of day (or night)... I've heard him give 3 different stories... on the same day
Louie

mj, might be the alcholia

Post by Louie »

but Phil is right, dad does tend to change his story. Remember the time he tried to get in Canada and they ask him if he had every been arrested? I bet that is the last time he takes travel advise from Bailey. Of couse then we go to Mexico and are talkin to the boarder storm troopers and before I could stop him he's tellin them he has oranges with him. When public officals exspect you to lie it best to not disapoint them
hammerhead
C Guru

BOATS...CHANGED THE WORLD!

Post by hammerhead »

FOR ME; M.RIVER M.E., PROSPECTOR TYPE(EXP, DISCOVERY), DAGGER ATOM, CASCADE. CERTAINLY MANY DESIGNS SEEN FROM/BY MILLBROOK & MOHAWK COMPANIES HAVE BEEN BREAKING GROUNG/WIND/WATER FOR SOME TIME NOW. I PERSONALLY NEED MORE EXP W/ COMPOSITE, PRIMARILY DUE TO POORLY PLACED ROCKS & VERY POORLY PLACED MONEY(+ SUM ? TECHNIQUE). ANYONE WILLING TO DONATE, SAY SUMPTIN' FROM M.B.,SHAGGY, ESQUIF,DRAKKAR,ECT...

WHET DREAMS...HH

ALL KIDDIN' ASIDE...THE ONLY BAD BOAT I EVER HAD WAS A SUBMARINE
generik

Post by generik »

Hey guys, I know a little about the goforth gang, my dad was in it. His name is Scott McInnis. All those guys yall are talkin about (psyco, francis, woody, etc.) I used to call 'uncle'. I don't remember them much other than camping with them on the ocoee when I was really young. I'm quite surprised to find this, I had no idea anyone knew about them any more.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

generik wrote:Hey guys, I know a little about the goforth gang, my dad was in it. His name is Scott McInnis. All those guys yall are talkin about (psyco, francis, woody, etc.) I used to call 'uncle'. I don't remember them much other than camping with them on the ocoee when I was really young. I'm quite surprised to find this, I had no idea anyone knew about them any more.
Far from it... http://boatertalk.com/forum/BoaterTalk/1390721

:wink:
Dooleyoc-1
CBoats Addict

Post by Dooleyoc-1 »

Edge
Viper 12
Skeeter
Cu-Fly
Prelude
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

Hollowform River Chaser (1973) - first plastic kayak (me-thinks)

Changed nearly everything... after it came out boater's didn't have to be near as good... this was the boat that started covering up the mistakes of the paddler.
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

philcanoe wrote:Hollowform River Chaser (1973) - first plastic kayak (me-thinks)

Changed nearly everything... after it came out boater's didn't have to be near as good... this was the boat that started covering up the mistakes of the paddler.
1973?!?!?.... I liked it better in Birchbark Phil. :lol:
Glenn MacGrady
C Boater

Post by Glenn MacGrady »

philcanoe wrote:Hollowform River Chaser (1973) - first plastic kayak (me-thinks)

Great candidate, if we are talking kayaks.

I took my first kayak lessons in Hollowforms in northern California. They were the first rotomolded kayaks.

Then came Perception. The Quest was the first as I recall. Then came the Mirage. Then the Dancer. For many years in the 80's everyone had a Perception Dancer.
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

Glenn MacGrady wrote:...For many years in the 80's everyone had a Perception Dancer.
Even me. I converted a Dancer to C1 circa 1982.
Bob P