C1 slalom VS K1.

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

marclamenace
CBoats Addict

C1 slalom VS K1.

Post by marclamenace »

Hi guys!

I don't know so much myself about slalom races (and definitely nothing about chinese mandarin!) but here's an interesting video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXIShH9QTT8&NR=1

3 Kayaks and 1 C1 at the same gate. The C1 definitely kicks their buttyaks and has such great technique. Its curve is much quick and he has an advantage at this gate, being able to lean back and forth to tighten ist turn. If I got it well...

I would like to see your comments about that!
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

He saved himself by sneaking his paddle under the gate, while the kayaks couldn't. Frankly, I think he could have been a little faster :roll: had he not cut the turn so close. An on-side S turn in a strong eddy works best starting with a carve, not a squirt.
Bob P
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Nice lines...though in the related videos the following REALLY impressed me. If you've never paddled a WildWater boat, it's tough to understand why...if you have, I think you'll agree it's some nice paddling...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsNk4yNi ... re=related
Keep the C!
Adam
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

Probably a c-boater at the very end too.......
Alden
CBoats Addict

Post by Alden »

Adam, that downriver clip is awesome. That course looks great, and that guy's an incredible paddler.

I know that at least one cboats user was in that race, for the United States (and maybe others out there were in it for other countries). Great job to anyone who did that in a wildwater boat.
knu2xs
Pain Boater

Post by knu2xs »

Although the canoe had the fastest entry into the current, the bottom left had the fastest line to the next gate as he was headed more downstream. Also, agreeing with the above post, entering an S with the maximum lateral motion, driving through the curves with the hips and using the bow rails instead of engaging the stern is always going to be faster if it is possible in the given situation. In this case, with the water actually helping, in the reversal, a slightly lower entry would facilitate more lateral speed through the gate and allow the paddler to keep their weight forward, thereby carrying more speed out of the gate and setting up the paddler to stay in a position with more rotational availability. This would allow the canoe to move through the gate faster and then rotate more to get moving downstream with a shorter exit line.
-Joel

You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club. -Jack London
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

yeah, one thing ivrea does, is not F-around.
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.
TheKrikkitWars
CBoats.net Staff

Post by TheKrikkitWars »

Sir Adam wrote:Nice lines...though in the related videos the following REALLY impressed me. If you've never paddled a WildWater boat, it's tough to understand why...if you have, I think you'll agree it's some nice paddling...

WOW!

In fact

WOW!

I'm at uni with two national team WWR paddlers and even they would be intimidated (to say the least) at a rapid like that, Top effort!
Joshua Kelly - "More George Smiley than James Bond"

CBoats Moderator - Not necessarily representing the CBoats staff though...(I'll use words like "moderator", "We" and "CBoats" to make it clear when I am)
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Sir Adam wrote:Nice lines...though in the related videos the following REALLY impressed me. If you've never paddled a WildWater boat, it's tough to understand why...if you have, I think you'll agree it's some nice paddling...

I don't know why, but a question that occurs to me after seeing that clip is "would a wildwater boat turn easier while upside down?" :lol:
Bob P
CBoats Addict

Post by Bob P »

I just happened to come across this video. Go to approximate 1:40 to see how a proper C-1 (offside, even) S turn is done. Carry that speed through!

Japanese Slalom Race
Bob P
Nate
C Guru

Post by Nate »

Even better, in Bejing there was this R. Left to R. Right S gate that most people cruised through really quickly with a single stroke--in particular check out how smooth Martikan makes the move seem.
See the C1/K1 semi & final runs here:
http://www.nbcolympics.com/video/player ... de=sportca
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

yeah, nate i agree with you. martikan rocked it in his final, but check out tsakmakis' semi-15:20, he gets an awesome boost coming out of that s gate.
I haven't watched the O video in a while. i liked watching it again... i wish there were a better amount of the video to scan through, instead of trying to find a specific point in a 2 plus hour section of video.
happy new years folks/
-ids
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.