I gotta ask- how many people here kayak too?

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

I kayak...

...Never.
53%
...but I wouldn't admit it.
No votes
...on occasion- maybe once or twice a year.
32%
...as much as or more than I "C"
15%

Total votes: 53

RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

I gotta ask- how many people here kayak too?

Post by RodeoClown »

it seems that smack talking about kayakers is a popular hobby here, but I'm just wondering how many closet butt-boaters there are in our ranks. I, for one, would say that I kayak more than I 'C' and I don't have a problem admitting it. Anyone else, or am I the only one.
TNbound
CBoats Addict

Post by TNbound »

I do kayak more than I Cboat, but I'm on my way to reform. This season, my only buttboating will hopefully be my job as a sea kayak guide.

Don't get me wrong, I love kayaking, but there is just something about an open boat and a single blade it can't compare to for me.
-Anthony

"I'm gonna run this one river left I think.... So far river left, that I'm gonna be on the bank. With my boat on my shoulder."
Louie

Post by Louie »

What is the next poll goin to be

happy

Straight

Bi
Mr.DeadLegs
CBoats Addict

Post by Mr.DeadLegs »

If the water is real low and the temperature is above 90 then I crawl onto my Torrent sit on top. Thinking about making a kneel on top, may be use an old surf board or something.
"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways totally worn out, shouting "Holy large steaming pile of dog doo what a Ride" " Nolan Whitesell
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

i've taken to kilts of late, but using a double blade would mean having to drink twice as much to get the same challenge, and besides, it really does look silly
Joe
Louie

Post by Louie »

not silly, happy (AKA G*A*Y)
dgmonster
Pain Boater

Post by dgmonster »

I usually kayak once a year in my wife's boat to remind myself how much I hate sitting on my butt! Maybe I will make it every other year.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I don't do it a lot... and usually in a pool to explain a roll (both K and C), at a play spot to check out a new design (are you going to trust the marketing guys that a boat is a good one for conversion???), or to help start a kid to get started in the boating (generally kids want to kayak ww first due to all the dis-information :wink: ).
Its just another form of fun..
I even own a few too... mostly for the kids... but I like them too! Being k-phobic is kind of strange :roll: ....besides there are way too many phobias / biases already out there..... look at the c-phobia and anti-C-bias in the world! Maybe its that ?-envy kind of thing!!
I'm just looking to max out the smile factor... to each their own!
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I have four kayaks, including one I converted from c-1.

It's gotten hard to stick to c-1 in old age, because of the knees. Even in OC-1 I need a highchair. :cry:
Louie

Post by Louie »

will I own over a hundred halfs of buttboats, I guess you could weld them back together.
edg
C Guru

k1, too

Post by edg »

I've been doing a bit more of it, and for me it has some great benefits. I especially like doing long, shallow water attainments in a section of the Truckee river that is beautiful, goes for miles, but just seems to break c-1 paddles. I've heard that the great Martikan paddles k-1 almost as well as c-1, and that some of the French slalom c-2's would cross train at least once a week in wildwater k-1 for cardio and symmetry reasons. I was especially inspired by seeing a wildwater k-1 casually warming up at Fibark by paddling back and forth across fast current on the cross-draw, with a wing paddle. Of course, being a luddite, I've been using an old 70's era Seda slalom kayak that someone gave me....edg
cadster
CBoats Addict

Post by cadster »

jroneil
C Guru

Post by jroneil »

I have a couple rec kayaks and a sea kayak The kayaks are better for fishing when I am by myself and I do not want to get wet (I also have a float tube) I put a couple rod holders on them and I can troll pretty easy. I plan to take them out this spring and fish the salt water flats for strippers . I also want to bring the sea kayak out on the ocean this summer when there is no water in the rivers. I am also going to try surfing with it this year. To many hobbies not enough time :lol:
Mikey B
CBoats Addict

Kayaking

Post by Mikey B »

I've never really tried it. Had an old Perception Umiak for the boys when they were little. Living so close to lake Michigan I've often thought about Sea Kayaking but...
The last few years I've mostly paddled with kayakers. I've tried rolling them a couple times...dang, it's harder than I thought it'd be. Although I could hand roll it. But I still prefer kneeling. Been single blading it for so long it just feels right and more comfortable.
But whatever gets you out on the water works for me!
OC1er
CBoats Addict

Post by OC1er »

I had to K1 on a bet one time when the stupid Cowboys whipped the Skins. For me, it's my background that guided my choices, I already felt comfortable in a canoe when I started into whitewater (kind of like surfing and skating led me to choose snowboard over skis, the postition was already natural). Sitting down just feels totally un-natural, it seems like your quads get isolated in that position, whereas in a Cboat you can really use your thighs to jerk the boat around. I guess I C cuz I don't know how to K!
Its not about the approach. Its about control in the hole.