historians any one?? Hahn???

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

DaveM
c

modified Czech

Post by DaveM »

John Berry is right...and he should know, be he made those boats and they were made extremely wel...not so light, but made well

My father bought a Modified Czech from John at the Petersburg races in either 1969 or 1970...it was dark green over white and came equiped with a spare paddle holder on the deck and a nice ceder thwart and cotten webbing thigh straps.

Dad also bought a spray skirt kit from a guy in DC that year..can't remember who sold those....but I do remember he was pretty darn excited about that boat....he spent that summer and the next winter learning to roll it in a lake and in the pool...I recall it seemed like such a hot rod compared to the Grummans we were paddling

In those days, there used to be a "boat show" at the Petersburg High School on Saturday night after the cruisier and down river races on Sturday and before the slalom races on Sunday. Everybody went to socialize and see the "newest" offerings

As a kid I always looked forward to the boat show..in addition to seeing all the new boats from the likes of John Sweet, John Berry, Jim Stuart, etc. they showed whitewater movies and slide shows...it sounds kind of boring by today's standards, but in those days seeing color movies of whitewater trips was a pretty cool thing.

and when I saw my Uncle, cousin or parents in the movies..that was about as cool as it got for a 8-9 year old kid.

Looking forward to catching up with everyone on the North Branch and chowing down on some Fox Pizza....DM

best Fox Pizza story:
Q: How many people can you seat?

A: We can seat a bunch of people
Follow-up: Good, Cause your about to get overun by about 30+ very hungry people

Fox Follow up: Really, your kidding.......then as they looked out the front window....Holy S___, here they come...Next they called the owner at home who came in that night to make us pizza's...from then on...we have called ahead about the middle of the week before the armada to let them know the C-boat hoards were on their way...Long live the C-boat hoards!!!
RodeoClown
BlackFly Canoes

Post by RodeoClown »

Everybody went to socialize and see the "newest" offerings
As a kid I always looked forward to the boat show..in addition to seeing all the new boats from the likes of John Sweet, John Berry, Jim Stuart, etc. they showed whitewater movies and slide shows...it sounds kind of boring by today's standards, but in those days seeing color movies of whitewater trips was a pretty cool thing.
I dunno, sounds like a lot of the river festivals I've been to lately- check out some boats, watch some videos....

Only the names change, and only some of those