oc1 for female

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

bones
c

oc1 for female

Post by bones »

Any recommendations on oc-1's for a female about 145 to 150 lbs and 5'8'' tall. She has been paddling a rival and is looking for a replacement as its had its day. Ocoee, Phantom is available?? ideas!!
Gadget
ian123
CBoats Addict

Re: oc1 for female

Post by ian123 »

5 8" and 150 isn't that small. She could prob paddle anything.
ian123
CBoats Addict

Post by ian123 »

You could also consider a spark. Any of these boats will feel like a hot rod compared to the rival
Einar
CBoats Addict

Light L'edge

Post by Einar »

Try out a Light L'Edge.
Two female friends of about the same weight but of different levels of experience, advanced and early experience, jumped into one and both looked good. And they could lift and carry it.
Paddling is easy, organizing shuttles is hard.
Not misplacing all your crap in somebody else's car seems to be even harder
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

If weight of the boat is a concern call Millbrook and speak to Kaz.

If you want plastic try out the light L'Edge as well as an Option (Blackfly) or other.

That size is pretty much perfect for a lot of boats... I'm the same height, and used to be the same weight;)
Keep the C!
Adam
bones
c

Post by bones »

she has been in my ledge light but it doesn't seem to be her favorite. She seems to like the more traditional designs but working on getting her more comfortable in different style boats.
Gadget
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

Millbrook....
Keep the C!
Adam
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Millbrook!
Millbrook!
Millbrook!
etc.
Thanks for listening.
Last edited by kaz on Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JKaz......
Wendy
Paddling Benefactor

Post by Wendy »

Kaz, are there any Sacho's that have been sold to someone in the SE? Any idea when the Stinkeye will be ready?
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Hi Wendy.
Check your email.
No Stinkeye yet, problems with the help.
JKaz......
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

You don't specify her skill level and the classes of water she will be using the boat for or aspiring to. I like your idea of the Ocoee as a next step from a Rival. Women of that size have liked the Ocoee in our paddling club. The Phantom would only be a good choice if she has excellence balance, can sit in an 8" or lower seat, and is interested in a smaller boat. If she's in the Class 2/easy 3 realm, a Prodigy could be a good buy. Both the Prodigy and an Outrage would be in a similar performance category to the Rival. The Ocoee and Phantom would be a step up.

Before giving up on the idea of a PE canoe, a Blackfly Option and Esquif Prelude would be good to try--but definitely try before buying. The Prelude takes the same kind of balance and quick reactions that a Phantom and Zoom require. If she didn't like the L'edge for its lack of glide, the Option might not be much better.
h2sk1
C Guru

Post by h2sk1 »

milkman wrote:The Prelude takes the same kind of balance and quick reactions that a Phantom and Zoom require. If she didn't like the L'edge for its lack of glide, the Option might not be much better.
Interesting -- I find the Prelude and Zoom 'edgier' than the Phantom, and I'm sitting around 170lbs. At 150lbs, all three are worth a try.
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Interesting -- I find the Prelude and Zoom 'edgier' than the Phantom, and I'm sitting around 170lbs. At 150lbs, all three are worth a try.
And all three are edgier than an Ocoee, which was my point.