2012 NBoP Armada... on the Cheat April 28th and 29th

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Cheeks
CBoats Addict

Re: 2012 NBoP Armada... on the Cheat April 28th and 29th

Post by Cheeks »

Sir Adam wrote:For locals - what (other than the Cheat) might we be paddling, and any recommendations for boat or type of boat (creek, slalom, river runner, etc...).
I'm moving out there for the summer in two weeks so does that make me a local or a soon to be local? :)

Big Al hit the big stuff that is within spitting distance of the campground - all stuff that we'll be paddling the next week at CheatFest. Add to that the Top Yough if it rains, an hour away which is similar to the Upper Yough with a big ole slide and a small waterfall thrown in. If you open it up to runs within an hour, well you've got pretty much everything that WV/MD/swPA has to offer, which is a lot.

I'm sure PAC/Big Al/markzak/others will chime in with better advice, but needless to say there is lots of water. Hope it rains!
Chris Loomis
markzak
CBoats Addict

Post by markzak »

Cheeks wrote:Sir Adam wrote:
For locals - what (other than the Cheat) might we be paddling, and any recommendations for boat or type of boat (creek, slalom, river runner, etc...).
Like previous years, I would like to see a large group on Saturday together. I could be low water and a great day for the Cheat Canyon for the group, scouting and taking our time. I would definitely lean more towards a river runner/creeker this year than a playboat, but time will tell as we get closer. Looking forward to seeing everyone for the good cboatering and cbantering.

There might be some blackfly canoes to demo too including the new OCtane 92.
riverharlot
C Boater

Post by riverharlot »

I saw reference campground is next to Cheat Festival fairground. As never having been this way before can I get something more specific. I am looking for something I can put into google map and figure out directions. I'm hoping to collect a group which will reduce my chance of wandering and being lost but the more specific the better. thanks
--
Nothing is more soft and yielding than water.
Yet for dissolving the hard and inflexible nothing can surpass it.
Lao Tzu
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Teter's Campground
122 Beech Run Road, Albright, WV
(304) 329-3626 ‎
Preston County – just off Rt. 26 Albright, West Virginia
Directions: From I-68 take exit #23 Bruceton Mills. Go South on Rt. 26 for 10 miles. You’ll past an old Iron Furnace once your down on the flatter section (on right) and after that its about 1 mile further. The turn to the camp ground is a hard right hand cut back from Rt 26 on to Beach Run Rd down so heads up ( watch out for coal trucks and traffic traveling fast on Rt 26 coming at you from either way). If you get to the actual Cheat Festival site on the right or Albright WV you’ve gone too far.
Latitude: 39.493 / Longitude: -79.643
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Here is a smattering of what is runnable around the Cheat watershed and other nearby locations (from the AW database):
This is a not a complete list by any stretch of what's available but helps to show the range of what is available (based on recent rainfall) and the boater(s) skills and abilities. The Tygart watershed is not too far away and can be worthwhile if local stuff is not running and the other stuff is. Especially Valley Falls. :D

Y'all have fun.
C-boats Moderator

"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing-absolutely nothing-half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats."
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

Pray 4 rain!
erniegolen
c

Post by erniegolen »

I have an obligation on saturday the 28th, but nothing on the 29th, Does anyone think they'll be running something class II-IIIish southeast of albright on sunday?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

So who is up for a site visit to IR (Immersion Research) Friday, April 27th? Say about 10AM prior to visiting PS Composites and then heading to the Cheat Narrows for some Cquirt (Alleys or Bobs)?
If we do this it might cut into doing the Loop prior to the day. Confluence, PA is roughly 1 hour away from Albright, WV.

We need a head count to make sure we are adding some value and not just bugging IR.

Other items… have not heard back from PS Composites…. But that is not unexpected. We can follow up with them as we get closer.

The local expert feels the timing will be good for the Alleys and plans to join us… work permitting… for Cquirt. There is a post on the Angst site as to Cquirt and hopefully other zombies will show. Bug your buddies.. the more the better.

Question – are we going to Monroe’s after Cquirt and if so we sort of need a head count to let them know. Feeling bad about Fox’s Pizza but they need to take that up with USACE.

Might need a contact list for folks too… more for folks that are new or who are unfamiliar with the area…not that we ever lost anyone!! :P

More to follow! C U there!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
arhdc
CBoats Addict

Post by arhdc »

This is by no means firm but I think that I would rather swim the loop again than go to IR but I'm flexible.

As far as the rest.....I have not enough experience to have an opinion so I'll just follow the leader so count me as a head for whatever. Looking forward to seeing the Cquirt competition.
~Aaron~

Just being willing to try is half the battle.
TonyB
CBoats Addict

Post by TonyB »

personally, Im not gonna take friday off for an IR visit...isnt the UYreleasing?
Proud Yankee
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Sir Adam »

I'd like to visit IR and spend some $$ there. Would be great to meet the folks, and thank them for sponsoring the Cquirt all these years!

Kenneth and I will be driving in that AM, so we'd likely meet you at IR....

Monroe's sounds good too...

To summerize:

IR: YES, 2
Monroes, YES, 2
Keep the C!
Adam
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Yes Upper Yough is releasing... 10AM to 1PM ... figured a few of you would be going game on for that.

If we do the Loop in the AM it would have to be a blitz run... 30 to 45 min. Just say'n! :-) Save the play for later in the day!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
ESP
C Guru

Post by ESP »

UY then C Squirt for me. The water has been so low I need to take whatever opportunity presents itself.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I'm in for IR, PSC & Cquirt! Keep in mind, we'll probably be on Kalin time. :wink:
Big Al
CBoats Addict

Post by Big Al »

UY and Golden Monkey.

Big Al