Spring Armada 2005

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

There is Craig campgroung which is up the road from the putin, pretty nice facility. We usually stay there on our NB trips.
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Yeah, that's it. The Robert W. Craig campground is the one that I heard about. I haven't been there. It has showers :) Marshall, what do you think of it?
Sir Adam
CBoats.net Staff

Hmmm

Post by Sir Adam »

If that's the one by the lake? I'd say we go for it. Another place to try out boats if nothing else!

I hate moving away from the Savage, but if we have to pay either way I think this makes sense.

I'll post a poll up and we'll take a vote....
Keep the C!
Adam
mshelton
CBoats Addict

Post by mshelton »

The place does have showers, nice paved roads, picnic tables.
Pretty nice set up, I'll toss my vote in for it.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

http://www.nab.usace.army.mil/recreatio ... n/news.htm

Sites are reservable online... And contiguous blocks of sites are available for that weekend...

http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/commonpag ... index.html

or

1-877-444-6777
pevans
C Boater

Post by pevans »

Pardon my ignorance, but a few questions:

Having never paddled the NB, would a newbie to deked boats (very little roll) be ok, or should I bring my Probe 14?

If the Probe, is this likely to cause any shuttle diffculty? If i do bring the Probe and they both fit on the car, would anyone be interested in trying a Supermax?

Is there anything special to look for with the put in and take out?

Thanks,
Paul
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

As long as you have a good wet exit the NB should not be too much for someone new to decked boating. The putin and take out are both off of nice eddy pools. You will have plenty of folks to show you the lines at Robins nest. The water is cold, which is a good incentive to make that second try on your roll. I swam last year when I tried to run our C-2 solo on the surf hole.
till next
Jim
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

Paul you can bring both and make the decision at the put in. If not comfortable in the C then take the OC. The nice thing about the NBofP Armada is that you can borrow different boats. Just asking someone usually frees up C or OC for a test drive.
But overall you should be fine with the C1.
As for shuttle issues - they only one I know of is dealing with the rest of us.
As for the put-in / take out head to the put in Sat. morning
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/4029/
and look for all the C1 and OC1s in the parking lot of the red brick building next to the Savage River - I know this is pretty non-descriptive but I'll leave it to the coordinator types (Kneal, one of the Scotts, etc.) to provide the final meeting location and time.
Oh and if you see a large red C2 just wave me down.
CU there!
Paul C.
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Transport from Armada

Post by John Coraor »

I'm trying to arrange transportation of a used slalom C-1 north from Davey Hearn in DC and thought the Armada might be a possible two-step answer (I've already posted on the ride board, but no nibbles yet).

Step 1: Is anyone heading to the Armada from DC that would have room on their racks for one more boat?

Step 2: Ditto for anyone returning home to the northeast from the Armada?

I live on Long Island, but could pick-up the boat from one of the upcoming NESS races, the June Esopus Slalom, or via other arrangements from someplace in the northeast.
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

John, I should be able to get the boat to the armada from Davey's clinic. Who can get it from the armada up into New England/New York?

KNeal
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

I am returning to Boston from the armada the following Tuesday. I will have three boats on the rack but a fourth should be no problem.

till next
Jim
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

Post by KNeal »

Here is a link that has directions to the North Branch Potomac putin and will place you near the campground.

http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/4029/

Can Marshall, or someone else who knows, post directions to the campground? I'll post directions to the takeout (the actual meeting place for Saturday morning, so we can leave vehicles) next week.

And now, it's time to load for the Cheat/Big Sandy/Lower Yough, etc. weekend (including the ever-popular Cheat downriver race! :D )

KNeal
David Good
Pain Boater

I'll Be there...

Post by David Good »

Well, I've cleared it with my wife (the boss) to come. Is there enough sites reserved or will I need to call and make a reservation?

Also, I'll be paddling my Wheelboy, and can bring a LL Pocket Rocket if anyone wants to paddle it. If no one post interest, I'll leave it at home. (The Pocket Rocket is For Sale...)

See u there,

David
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

David -

I'd imagine you can squeeze in with somebody. We will probably end up tight on vehicle capacity (2 vehicles per site) with excess people capacity (8 per), but can get aroudn that by leaving vehicles elsewhere.

There are currently 6, maybe 7 sites reserved in that area that I'm guessing are taken by us - one in that row has electricity. There are plenty available further along "our" (non-electric) side and about half of the electric sites across from us are open, too.

Scott