Few race boat questions.... C1 and OC

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Warren

Few race boat questions.... C1 and OC

Post by Warren »

C1 Question:
I'm planning on buying a slalom boat for training, Cheat race, etc...
Two options right now are a Superglide (race layup, which I'm afraid I'll break), or maybe the Zealot posted here if still available. What's a fair price for a Superglide in solid shape but with some obvious work done and still needed (ie. cracks along the chines through the gel-coat; glass wrap near stern where it appears to have been broken?

Is the zealot the obvious choice due to condition and ability to maintain this condition through a heavier layup?

And the OC question:
I have access to what may be a good deal on a Kevlar Edge OC. There's a hole near the gunnel but looks easily patched. The gunnels are wood and in very poor condition. Approx. how much is this boat worth? I'd love to have it but don't figure I'd spend much for it.

Thanks for any help.

Kneal-- get in touch if you want to show me how it's done in the next couple of months. e-mail: jwwik@aol.com
Looking forward to figuring this out and a little friendly competition at Cheat Fest.
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

You don't mean "gelcoat" do you? Dagger boats (I have a Zealot) were made with a thin layer of epoxy paint. Upstream Edge boats had pigmented resin in the first layer, I believe. That there are cracks through the pigment is of no consequence. The question is, do the cracks go through the outer layer of S-glass? That layer is very substantial, usually two layers of cloth.

Serious racers, rather than old duffers like me, considered the Superglide to be a somewhat better racing boat than the Zealot. But it is conceivable that a longer-lasting layup would be better for you. And the Zealot is certainly a very good boat just for paddling around. (I own the first Zealot out of the mold, perhaps the only high-rocker Zealot still in existence.)
KNeal
CBoats.net Staff

here are 2 cents' worth of information

Post by KNeal »

Hi, Warren. As far as racing boats are concerned, any of them (Zealot and Superglide) will do you just fine. They are higher volume boats in the bow and differ some with the low volume in the tail and how slicey they are, but that difference won't make a difference for you unless you plan on seriously racing. Other than that, they are really good for tooling around on the river. I have been paddling my Zealot almost exclusively for the past couple of years (or is that because I haven't patched my Maverick, yet :roll: ?).

What is a reasonable cost for them? Hmmm, that's subjective depending on wear and age and your ability to keep from bashing the boat to pieces (like me :x ). The heavier lay-up may be the better choice, being more durable.

I will email you about paddling in April and May and can even bring my Zealot (and Atom and my recently acquired VIPER :D ) for you to try out.

KNeal
NEOC Slalom Rules
C Guru

Post by NEOC Slalom Rules »

Warren,
Obviously boat condition is a very subjective measurement. That said, I bought a superglide up in Ontario last summer in much the condition you described. I paid $600 US and got a nearly new Snapdragon skirt with the boat. Having paddled a supermax years ago in the NESS racing circuit, I find the Superglide a huge step up. Both zealots and superglides are well represented in our New England race series. As for serious paddling, I wouldn't go creekin with a Superglide. The stern wants to dive, all ya gotta do is lean back a little. That's great for a pivot in a slalom course but a rock magnet in a creek. Edge that needs new rails and is worn (Needs a patch way above the water line), I wouldn't go over $300 and would definitely try for much less. Good Ash is hard to find. But again subjective judgement. I've paddled real junkers for looks and fallen in love and paid way more than they deserve before and I'll probably screw up and do it again. If you like it and paddle it, its worth what you're willin to pay. Have fun.
Pat
Open Boat/Open Mind
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

...if the hull is in decent shape and the chines aren't cracked the Edge would be fun. They aren't the driest, but respond like a super snappy Ocoee. It sounds like the boat sat outside... maybe in snow on grass... water damaged? I agree with Pat. If you can snag it for say $250-300 and only have to put gunnels and a little outfitting in it... grab it. Is it a 13'?... the 15ft'ers aren't that wonderful IMO.

Have a ball!
Craig

Average used race boat price range...

Post by Guest »

In my experience, you should pay anywhere between $400-600 for a used slalom C-1 in good condition. If it's nearly brand new (meaning very few scratches and absolutely NO cracks) then expect to pay a lot more, up to $1000 or more.

Boats in the $150-300 range are generally pretty old and beat-up, with one or more patches...but even a boat like this can often still have several years left in it if you keep it on relatively deep water.

Scott
Warren

Thanks...

Post by Warren »

Ended up with the Superglide.
Don't know if I got a steal on it, but I think it was well worth the price. After two quick trips in it I'm really liking it's performance and speed. Just hope I can keep it in one piece. (One little knock thus far coming too hard into an eddy).

Thanks to everyone who provided opinions and info.

-Warren