Oldest OPen Canoe or C-1 still in service

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

billcanoes
CBoats Addict

grumman

Post by billcanoes »

I have a 1954 Grumman square back canoe-36 to 40" but it looks more like a jon boat to me- I use it on the lake for fishing and it has a 6hp four stroke- It goes 11.8 mph at full thottle and you can see the hull flexing, unitl I started white water I used it 10-15 times a year, but last year I used it 3x and havent used it yet this year. I'm always adding more aluminux to keep the water out.

Bill
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Adam,

I know for sure that the old Czech C1 that I gave you was made in the 60s. The owner of the boat had been paddling it for many years before I met him in 1975.

Speaking of C-2s. I still use my plastic Hydra C-2 frequently and I'm going to be paddling it again in the Grand Canyon next year. It's starting to get a little tired so if anyone has one that they're not using I would love to give it a good home.

Jim
Louie

I do

Post by Louie »

I got one for sale.l
Remoteproductions
Pain Boater

Perception OC-1

Post by Remoteproductions »

Dan Hienz in Big Fork MT still paddles his Perception OC-1. Best that he can tell it's early 70's and in GREAT shape.
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

I recovered and returned to it's owner a Perception OC-2 - I'd never seen or heard of one before or since - 16' or so, don't remember checking the serial number for a production date. That was about three years ago...
dixie_boater
C Guru

Perception Royalex Tandem Canoes

Post by dixie_boater »

Scott,

The boat you recovered was probably either a Perception Nantahala or Chattooga. They were first made in 1976. The Nantahala had wooden gunwales and the Chattooga had aluminum gunwales. Both canoes were 16 ft. lg. I know one paddler in NE GA who still has a Perception Chattooga. Their hulls were very tough and some are still on the water. They were thermoformed by Uniroyal and known as Warsaw Rocket hulls.

I can remember picking up a Perception sales brochure in the late 70's that had the Chattooga and Nantahala canoes. I wanted one, but was a poor college student at the time who had no money for toys. Buying canoes had to wait until after college when I got a "real" job!

Michael
Remoteproductions
Pain Boater

Perception HD-1

Called Dan up..... His Perception is an HD-1.......Anyone know the years of manufacturing?
dixie_boater
C Guru

HD-1

Post by dixie_boater »

The HD-1 was first made of glass in 1977. In 1979 Perception began making them from Royalex. I don't think they were produced in Royalex after 1983.
Remoteproductions
Pain Boater

Thanks Dixie Boater

Sounds like Dan's HD-1 wins so far for the oldest OC
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

I didn't even think about the Grummans. I loose. Oh well, I delivered the '75 wildwater boat over the weekend & it's probably in Michigan by now.

Now to fill that vaccuum in my fleet... :P
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Sounds like Dan's HD-1 wins so far for the oldest OC
Not so fast! My Old Town Voyager that I bought in 1972 still lives. I gave it to my brother who still paddles it on the rivers in Florida.

Also, two years ago I borrowed a Bluehole OCA from a friend to paddle the Middle Fork of the Salmon. I don't know the year that he bought it but it had to at least be in the early 70s.

I also have a Grumman with lots of patches on it. Every once in awhile I paddle it down the rapids the way we use to do it... no air bags, no thigh straps, no pedestal, no dry suit. Of course I leave my throw bag in the car and carry a coil of rope instead.

Jim
MarcB
c

paddling a John Berry made Berrigan

Post by MarcB »

Bought it last year from his friend, Henri DeMarne. It hung in Henri's garage for maybe 20 years, maybe 30 years, he used it maybe twice. It's like new! I had one like it in 1977 that I paddled everywhere, Yough, Cheat, Chatooga, solo in the center hole, made a big spray skirt, even used to roll it solo. It was made by old town, polyester gel coat, parquet floor, weighed a ton! the "new one" i got from henry, made by John, is lighter, stronger. It's a classic in pristine condition, light and strong. I feel like I'm paddling a piece of history.
MarcB :D
ezwater
C Maven

Post by ezwater »

I have a 1983 Phoenix Seewun/Slipper (pictured in C1 Race Boats) but I don't intend to paddle it again until I move the entire cockpit rim back about 2 inches. The boat always tended to be stern fat and bow lean, but now that I weigh :oops: 220, the boat is way too down at the bow.

With my Zealot and Wide Ride, the only advantage to using the Phoenix is that it cruises easy on the flats.

I also have a 1973 Moore Voyageur "supercanoe" which will go back into tandem service when I repair the gunwales.
squeakyknee
CBoats Addict

1979 Sawyer 16'

Post by squeakyknee »

Still paddle my '79 Sawyer on occasion.Its been repaired many,many times.Still my favorite camper.
Heidi
Pain Boater

Post by Heidi »

Maybe someone has some information on when the glass Lotus designed/built by Mike Galt dates from. I'm guessing late 70's going by when Team Lotus was around. Sleak hull, 16'6"x 28", looks alot like the one pictured in this article. http://www.moorecanoeing.com/sportcanoe ... tique.html

I got it from a guy who actually tried poling in it, my guess is he spent more time emptying it out to climb back in. I took it down a class 2 drop and left some gelcoat behind, now it's used solely on quiet water.

<edited to fix the URL - Scott>
Baby Falls-Tellico, TN