give me the dirt on the huck!!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Joey

give me the dirt on the huck!!

Post by Joey »

so after a rockin two week trip to colorado i finally cracked my micro :roll: im not really upset, i have had it for 4 years and abused it as much as i could. :D anyway, i need a new creek boat, and i am thinking of a huck. i was sort of sceptical, but it sounds like there are a few c-boaters that really like them. the other boats i am thinking about are a java(if i can find one in REALLY good shape), and prjon creeker 225(prolly to small for me). anyway, i was just wonderin what folks had to say about it. --- joey

oh yeah, im 170lbs, 5'9"
Bernie
C Guru

The Huck

Post by Bernie »

was designed for low volume steep creeks like the Green Narrows.
I know that you will keep raising the bar so I would recommend that you try the Gus. This boat takes some time to get used to but I think it will be better for high or low volume creekin'. The bad news is that the Gus is in much greater demand than the Huck at this time.
So much for talkin' boats lets' here about Colorado!
Joey

Post by Joey »

thanks bernie. by the way, how do you like your M 245? it looked like a good design. i loved my micro, the two look really similar.

colorado wasa awsome. we ended up doing 17 runs in 2 weeks. it was pretty much eat-sleep-paddle the whole time i was there. the high lights werebaily canyon and oh-be-joyful. baily canyon is so much fun. really fast, and technical. the biggest drop is called Super Max, and it was hands down the most intimidating rapid i have ever done. basically a 50 yard long rapid that drops 25 or 30 feet, with a must make move infront of an undercut stuck rught in the middle.

we did the quadrupal crown in crestabutte, which is daisy creek, slate, upper east and oh-be-joyful all in one day. i think i cracked my boat on a 20 footer on daisy called big woody falls. the quadrupal crown was awsome! i think we figured it out, and the four runs drop a total of 1300 vertical feet. they are a really fun big creeks with TONS of water falls and slides. i think there were 5 waterfalls, and prolly 25 slides.

we got some great days of play boating in white water parks at steam boat springs, and salida. if you can ever catch the steam boat hole with water in it, do it. the hole is huge, and super friendly. big air to be had by all. we paddled so many great fun rivers all over the state, and just had a really great time. heres a list of all the runs --- joey

alto-alto(upper boulder creek)
golden town run on clear creek
south boulder creek
baily canyon
fish creek
steam boat town
run on the yampa
elk
shoshone on the colorado
slaugterhouse on the roaring fork
crystal narrows
crystal mill falls (park and huck)
oh-be-joyful
daisy
upper east
slate
numbers on the arkansas
royal george on the ark

ps. im going to be in WVA on tues and wed taking some friends down the new. if you want to paddle let me know.
Bernie
C Guru

Sounds like

Post by Bernie »

you paddled many of the classics. I agree that Bailey Canyon is one of Colorado's best. Although I did not run SuperMax the rest of the run was full on.
I will be in town but I have to get some things done around the house because I have been on the Gauley the last 3 days.
Count me in for a rain check next time you come to town.
nathan
c

Post by nathan »

I am roughly the same size you are and I paddle the Gus as a C-1. My brother and I both paddle them as C-1s and we love it. Granted, it is longer and has more volume, but its really like paddling a rodeo open boat.

As the LiquidLogic rep says, "the Gus is for driving while the Huck is for floating". I know plenty of butt boaters that creek and they love their Huck so I guess its just really up to you. Either way, I think they are both absolutely great boats. Plus, LL is putting out an updated Gus next year I believe you so you may even want to wait around and see what that is like.
The best boaters in the world are C boaters
willywonka

Post by willywonka »

I have a huck and like it a lot. It does well on low volume creeks like bernie said and it ok in pushier water but lack of edges and the fact that it's basically a round tube make getting out of the holes you will get stuck in difficult sometimes. I havn't paddle a gus accept for once on the Nanty and I did like it's speed and found it fairly manueverable. I'd check out the Blunt first off, then a Nomad, then an H3 or maybe M3. I think a Blunt will be my next boat, I'd like something with more length (speed) and better edges. i probably wouldn't recommend a Java, although coming from a Micro you may like it.
Will