Lower Salmon trip report

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Carol
C Guru

Lower Salmon trip report

Post by Carol »

Lower Salmon River

August 2 through August 7.
Whitebird gauge: 7000 CFS.

Picture: www.rapids2.myphotoalbum.com

Hopefully youtube video later

As with all trips, the planning started almost a year in advance. We knew we wanted to do the Lower Salmon River in 2009, but it wasn't until December that we had our vacation dates finalized for the first week of August. Little does my boss know that he controls four other families summer vacations (my whole office closes for vacation).

Dagger Legend: Tim would be newly retired, so this would be his sendoff trip to a life free of alarm clocks and writing reports. Paddling with him was Keith. Having never paddled in Idaho, he was the first to respond to the "wanted: paddling partner" query put out to POST of the greater San Francisco Bay Area.

Genesis and IK: Ryan, had told his dad that "next time I get to go on vacation with you", so he joined us in an IK while his father, Dave B., paddled solo.

Joanna was finally able to join us on a vacation. So she brought along her husband Michael, and her youngest son Bryce. We talked Michael into rowing gear boat for us again.

Dagger Dimension:, the instigators of this outing, Dave and Carol.

We all met in Redding, California. After rearranging gear, three canoes, one IK, and nine people into just three cars, we took off for Burns, Oregon where we spent the night at the Burns RV park. A busy place, but it was very clean, and the proprietors very friendly. Sunday morning we were on the road by 6:30 a.m., stopping at a rest area for a cold breakfast. In Ontario, we stopped at the Albertson's grocery store to finish up with our shopping. Joanna and I gave strict orders to the males of the group to stay put, we were doing the shopping. Everything went smoothly even though Keith followed us inside.. at Weiser we had to stop for Idaho's new boat inspection program, and obtain an "invasive species" inspection sticker. Three hours later we were in Whitebird, Idaho to arrange shuttle and pick up the 16 foot raft, we had rented for this trip.

The ramp at Hammer Creek was occupied by a group when we first showed up Sunday afternoon, but they quickly headed out. As we unloaded the vehicles, and started the process of loading the raft, and deciding what the canoes needed to carry, Evan, the BLM River Ranger, showed up. It was neat, being able to put a face to the voice I've been talking to on the phone over the last year pumping for information. What was even better, he's also an open boater, so could understand my worries and concerns. No, we weren't getting in over our heads!

We launched about 5 p.m., and got downriver about 3 miles before we set up camp for the night, the majority of us sleeping out underneath the stars. Monday we ate lunch, just below Pine Bar access. Part of lunch conversation was speculating about the overturned drift boat just above us. It appeared as if they were in the process of doing a repair job on the hull. Hopefully it wasn't too serious, resulting in cutting their trip short. Whatever the damage was, we did see them on the river several days later.

Monday night found us in the Packers Creek area at a very nice camp spot, except for the yellow jackets and wasps. Only two stings that night, and I've become a true believer of Benadryl.

Tuesday before lunch, the boys, Bryce and Ryan, took turns with the IK, and Ryan spent some time in front of the Dimension with Dave. That meant I had an opportunity to relax on the raft with Joanna and Michael. After lunch was Half-And-Half, Snow Hole, which meant the IK got tied onto the raft. Snow Hole was scary looking. I don't think I have been that dry mouthed since scouting Blossom Bar on the Rogue. In hindsight, Snow Hole reminded me somewhat of Howard's Plunge on the Carbarton on the NF Payette River. Big, very intimidating, but if you followed the tongue, you should be OK. Of course, having a large recovery pool at the bottom doesn't hurt! Everybody ran the drop right side up. Tuesday night was at the apex of the Oxbow, Maloney Creek. That was also sausage spinach pie night in the Dutch oven. Later that evening, tents were set up as rain showers passed through.

Wednesday was China Slide. The IK was strapped onto the raft, no if, ands, or buts about it. Two weeks earlier, I had been warned by my sister, who had just finished a Lower Salmon trip, this wasn't a good rapid for the kids to do. China Slide went smoothly for everyone. Everybody's advice of: left, further left, and just in case go left even more, worked great.

We had hoped to do lunch at Wapshilla Creek, and do the hike up to the historic ranch as advised by Evan. But, we never found it. It turns out we did eat lunch in the vicinity of the mouth of Wapshilla Creek, but despite hunting around didn't locate it. You would've thought that the trail up to the ranch would have been easily recognized, but somehow we missed it. At the mouth of Blue Canyon, we decided we'd better stop for the day, and ended up with a very nice site on river right.

Keith set out on another one of his adventure-some hikes. He made it up to the top of the peak that he had set his goal on, but from there decided he was going try to find the ranch. Needless to say, this meant he was late getting back to camp. Joanna and I gave him mommy lecture number 45: thou shalt tell me where you are going, and when you will be back. He was lucky, as lecture number 46 came with tears!

While doing the dishes after dinner, Mother Nature decided to provide us with a most spectacular thunder and lightning show. We even had a direct lightning strike across the river from us, which resulted in a bush blowing up! Fortunately, it extinguished itself in about three minutes. Shortly after, looking to the east we could see a wall of water marching our way. It rained on and off through the night, but about 1 a.m. the skies cleared long enough for a full moon to shine down on us.

Eye of the Needle. The only rapid on this trip where we had involuntary swimmers. Ryan was looking forward to his first big class 3 drop, but flipped in the wave train. Dave B. tried to sneak river left of the rock, and went over also. Both survived with grins on their faces, though. This is also where we started started encountering jet boats.

Finally, we rounded the corner, entered the Snake. Had a brief stop at Cherry Creek and , then headed down to Cottonwood Creek for the night. Halfway through dinner, about 6:30 p.m. the rain started, and wouldn't stop until about 1 p.m. the following day. We estimated we had about 3 1/2 inches of rain that night. But the gauge at Whitebird, went from about 6500 CFS on August 7, to about 9200 CFS in 24 hours.

Everybody was up bright and early Friday morning, and we were loaded and on the river by 7 a.m.. Okay, it was early, but rainy instead of bright. At Cache Creek Ranch Tim scored a hot cup of coffee. None of the infamous wind, which meant we got to the takeout about 10:30 a.m.. It actually worked to our advantage, as we were able to, d--rig before the crowds arrived around noontime. Our shuttle company arrived promptly to pick up the rental raft to return to Riggins for us, and then we were on our way home back to Northern California. Had originally meant to backtrack through Whitebird and Riggins, but Dave got to looking at the map and decided let's try 395 instead. Smart choice, a very beautiful drive and cut about an hour off of our travels.

This year, the canoes were caring about two thirds of their gear, and handled much better than the Middle Fork trip in '07. At this flow, this section of the Salmon isn't technical, just big "water", and we quickly got into the habit of quartering the waves, which meant a much drier ride. Dave felt this would be a good practice run, if somebody were thinking of doing the Grand Canyon in a canoe.

Sunday. Home with soaking wet gear...

It was a great trip, with a great group of people. Most of all, I want to think Evan with BLM, Marc, who answered my queries on C. boat, our shuttle company, and the outfitter we rented our raft from. Everything went like clockwork.
kaz
Millbrook Boats - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by kaz »

Sounds like a nice trip. Maybe someday I'll get out that way.
JK
JulieKeller.com
Pain Boater

Re: Lower Salmon trip report

Post by JulieKeller.com »

Carol wrote: Dagger Dimension:, the instigators of this outing, Dave and Carol.

At this flow, this section of the Salmon isn't technical, just big "water", and we quickly got into the habit of quartering the waves, which meant a much drier ride. Dave felt this would be a good practice run, if somebody were thinking of doing the Grand Canyon in a canoe.
I've always thought that the Dimension would be the PERFECT Grand Canyon boat. I've still got my "third" Dimension and am hoping to find someone to paddle the Canyon with me in it someday.
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

Julie,

Guess what, we are a three-Dimensional family also!. David did the Grand Canyon in the Dimension in 2005. My boss wouldn't let me have the three weeks off.

Dimension 1: 1991 Hull, very worn out.
Dimension 2: 1998 hull, much lighter layup then#1, the gunwales were not aluminum reinforced!
Dimension 3: 1989 Hull, even heavier layup, then#1, and the bow had a higher flair to it. We use it exclusively for our expedition trips. We picked this boat up in spring of 2005, basically unused.

I'm in the process of uploading some video on to youtube; wwkanoer

happy paddling,

Carol

[img]http://images.myphotoalbum.com/r/ra/rap ... .sized.jpg[/img]
Jim Michaud
CBoats Addict

Post by Jim Michaud »

Julie,

I've paddled the Grand in a C-2 a couple of times but never in an OC-2. If you would like a partner get in touch with me. I think that an OC-2 would be a lot of fun, although pretty wet.

Jim Michaud
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

Great trip report! Thanks for sharing, I hope to make it there some day soon!
Carol
C Guru

Post by Carol »

I have finally uploaded several videos to Youtube of: Snow Hole, Half-And-Half, China Slide, And Eye of the Needle. And for special treat, you get to experience the thunder and lightning show we had at the top of Blue Canyon. They're at: wwkanoer

Carol