highest waterfall

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

j.m.
C Boater

highest waterfall

Post by j.m. »

What is the highest waterfall ever ran in an oc-1?
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

with our without some one at the helm? Know of a OC1 that hucked a 27' and didn't even get a drop of water in it. But it didn't have a person on board either.

The question might be highest run, by whom, are they still around to discuss and are there pix or vid.

I've already seen the highest I'd run and I'm sure others would not be impressed! Not sure about others - some of the stuff others have run impresses me!
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

thats a good question. i bet if you used a fly or similar you could run darn near anything.
Joe
reecepaddles
c

highest waterfall?

Post by reecepaddles »

Steve Frazier (OC-1) did a first descent onCompression Falls, also called Big Falls on the lower Elk (N.C.). I think he broke his back doing it, but continued to paddle after recovering. I will attach a link to a pic of a kayaker (not Steve) running the falls. I have a pic of steve running the falls but do not know how to post on this site. I am not sure how high this drop is, but it has got to be high on the list for open boat drops.
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... il_id_1066
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Re: highest waterfall?

Post by horizongfx »

reecepaddles wrote:Steve Frazier (OC-1) did a first descent onCompression Falls, also called Big Falls on the lower Elk (N.C.). I think he broke his back doing it, but continued to paddle after recovering. I will attach a link to a pic of a kayaker (not Steve) running the falls. I have a pic of steve running the falls but do not know how to post on this site. I am not sure how high this drop is, but it has got to be high on the list for open boat drops.
http://www.americanwhitewater.org/conte ... il_id_1066
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

didn't Shaggy eventually clean that one?

this topic has been gone over more than a few dozen times here... Image

I think it's possible to paddle away from a 300ft+ drop in an OC... if you land correctly :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter
Louie

Post by Louie »

Jim Little ran compression falls clean after Frazier did it. My highest is Basin Falls on basin Creek, but it doesn't count because we didn't scout it, if we had scouted it I wouldn't have run it.

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/w ... /basin.htm
2opnboat1
Mohawk Canoes

Post by 2opnboat1 »

Does Fraziers count seeing he broke his back
Richard Guin
Lazy good for nothing slacker
Louie

Post by Louie »

heck yes it count and Pablos run in Brazil counts just as Jessies run count, It take balls to go over the ledge, don't matter what happens after that, you have alread poved your point a few seconds earlier. BTW before anyone ask I didn't swim at Basin Falls and I got four people who saw me not swim.
philcanoe
C Maven

Post by philcanoe »

That odd bit of reasoning completely baffles me, bet Steve Frazier's orthopedic surgeon might have a different answer....Or the three other guys, who knew not to... even the (requisite) video would show something falling. This has always sounded like sour grapes by someone, who wants to steal the swimming guys thunder. Instead of simply saying "I wish I had", they want to go run-then-pretend they're going where no man's gone before. In the annals of time, I'm sure these second make-believed first-d's are asterisked. The proof is not on the landing, it's in the wide-eyed moment just before the fall. Isn't the less than desired landing proof enough... bet there's more than one Indian's rolling (sic) in his grave. Does what some super star pro-boating professional boater-talk-posting headline grabbing 2nd repeater has to say change anything?
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

did steve frazier get hurt because he landed too flat?

and would it be safer to use a smaller canoe, less volume in the floatation bags, so as not to slow down too quickly when you hit the water and submerge?
Joe
Louie

Post by Louie »

I ain't positive but I think I agree 100% with Poton. I was the second canoe down Bear Creek, but in the history books it is goin to say "open canoed the first time by Psycho" not "open canoed the second time by Louie" I was the first to film it however.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Post by oopsiflipped »

fyi, everyone around here calls that elk river falls and the the 35ish'er downstream compression falls.
horizongfx
CBoats Addict

Post by horizongfx »

Craig Smerda wrote:didn't Shaggy eventually clean that one?

this topic has been gone over more than a few dozen times here... Image

I think it's possible to paddle away from a 300ft+ drop in an OC... if you land correctly :lol:
O.M.G Craig, perhaps we should never discuss this again (bob says with Extreme sarcasm)
For me; boating brings me closer to to something divine, and in a open canoe I'm 8 Inches closer.
...........O
......(___|/____)
............/.............
Craig Smerda
L'Edge Designer

Post by Craig Smerda »

royalex? :lol:
Esquif Canoes Paddler-Designer-Shape Shifter