dry tops

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Jon
C Guru

Post by Jon »

An option when a dry suit is overkill is a drytop layered underneath a farmer john/jane wetsuit. Once you get your life jacket on, it doesn't look goofy and keeps you dryer than the drytop on top.
oopsiflipped
CBoats Addict

Drysuit socks a must!!!

Post by oopsiflipped »

I have had drysuits with both socks and gaskets and I infinitely prefer the socks. Out of the many people I know who have tried both, only one (who doesn't boat that much during the winter) prefers gaskets. Oddly enough the guy who prefers gaskets is an NRS rep. His advice is to wear neoprene or hydroskin socks over the drysuit socks to protect the waterproof material. A little bulky with fleece socks underneath, but keeps the feet warm and dry.

G
milkman
C Maven

Post by milkman »

Out here in Oregon where the rivers are cold, the paddling is great all year, and summer doesn't start until July, we wear drysuits from October into June. The best thing about them is that because you don't have to worry about getting cold from a swim, you're willing to try more stuff. After trying the cheaper drysuits, I think the full-on Gore-tex suit with relief zipper and Gore-tex socks is well worth the money. I keep my old drysuits as lenders--it's been a great way to get people into winter paddling.
Walsh
CBoats Addict

Post by Walsh »

sbroam wrote:A couple of us have wondered why they don't put *neoprene* feet in dry suits - they should be watertight but more durable than latex or goretex for walking on. Any downside to neoprene for feet?
I have what a believe to be a seven-year-old Goretex Kokotat suit, and it does have much heavier neoprene (or similar material)integrated booties.

Jamming them into my regular booties is a bit of a task. However, I don't have to worry about taking a few steps in them in the parking lot. And I've been warm with out ever adding more than a thin silk or poly liner sock, just to prevent the suit from absorbing odors.
Open Gate
C Guru

Post by Open Gate »

We paddle all year here in Ottawa. I've been out at Champlain bridge(10 minutes from home) of the Ottawa river at -20c(10f) in mid January where you have to stop in the eddy every 15 minutes to break the ice build up on your boat and gear. We unthaw(5 minutes in the 1c water) in the eddy at the end of our surf sessions so we can unzip the dry suites...

I've always used latex gasket dry suite with neoprene socks and neoprene booties on top (3/8'' thick). Never cold. The trick is to wet the neoprene. So I dress up, jump in the water and wet all the WET suite, get out of the water, warm up and go !

The neoprene is worthless if it's dry, or if you wear something between you skin and the wet stuff. It slows down the heat transfer for your body to the trapped water in the suite(famous company named BARE).

I'd rather have a few cheap drysuites than a 1 Goretex for the same price. My old one($375.00) now percolates so I use it in fare weather. My newer one is quite dry ($350.00) and I use it in the cold. I should be buying another cheap one soon that will be 100% tight for 2 seasons and keep on spreading the usage in all 3. That amount should add up to the price of 1 Gore tex dry suite.

And I've been warm for the past 10 years...

My 2 cents

Is here our canoe club link (that's my spouse and kid on the main page). I've got a few winter pics in there under http://groups.google.com/group/clubpierreradisson photos galu... the slide we build to access the rapid is super fun !
bearboater
CBoats Addict

Post by bearboater »

you should buy a drysuit... hint hint look in the for sale part of the forum...
cheers
-isaac
race boats are so fast, i bet its in the speed wing.