UY vs. Tellico

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

Louie

Post by Louie »

Well that settles it is oppifliped come out and says you aren't ready, you should go for it. He does know about runnin Tellico backwards however. He ain't no dumbie when he saw he wasn't goin to make it as an open boater he got a kilt and went to town. He hasn't quite woked up to gudin on the Ocoee but does kinda OK on the Piegon.
kabuki_blaze
C Guru

Post by kabuki_blaze »

Tony B - Whenever the Sandy is up let me know if you want to paddle it (you may have already, I am just assuming you have not). I think the The big Sandy is a great progression to the UY (I am talking from a former K-1 point of view). The little sandy is great because it is fairly tight with the weird diagonal holes and cross currents. Run this when the Sandy is above 8.0 at rockville and its a blast! I always felt that the UY and BS had similar water, a lot of holes coming from multiple sides, tight little moves..

That's my two cents and I would be happy to go down with ya! I would like to get on the UY in a open boat fairly soon my self. I need to make all the tough moves on the LY first, as mentioned in the post above and there are many others to master!
Longboatin
CBoats Addict

Post by Longboatin »

I jus got to get down to boatin w/ Louie, cuz just when it seems were polar opposites, we end up thinkn the same. If someone comes out not really knowin ya, sayin ya caint or dont... Then ya most certainly should...
Louie

Post by Louie »

Get off your dead butt and on the road. We got the Ocoee and Green for sure, and if you don't mind kids goin I will do the Nanty, Piegon, or Hiawasee. If you can do split second timin, and watch the weather forcast, I'll meet you at the Watauga on your way down. I will do the Russell Fork with you but take no responabilty for you on that one, it is way over your head, of course the Green is also but they are so many gobbers on that one I'll act like you must be with someone else.
Louie

Post by Louie »

Longboat it is a personal thing with oppifliped, he has a hard on for me, if I said the sky was blue he would say it was green. I think he and mouthful are big butthole buddies. I bet you ten buck he ain't never even done the Upper Yough.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

i'm assuming guides rock and table rock are the same rock? the boulder on the left with the not so great eddy that raft guides like to stand on? i've been in this eddy, but not done your move to get there. i'll do it after the falls race, and maybe big al can show me some other tough moves?
Joe
Big Al
CBoats Addict

ly

Post by Big Al »

I agree w/Jim on that move at Cucumber, if you can do that class 4 move on a class 3 rapid, the UY is ready for u. Of course, I've never seen anyone, in any kind of boat, stay more than a few seconds in these 2 eddies (unless they move too far up in the 1st eddy to the hole where they'll get worked)...they r not sticky. As for me, I'm okay to briefly catch the 1st, but have yet to catch the 2nd. Still workin on it.

Joe, Look forward to paddlin with you Falls Fest weekend. Maybe in your new SFLY??

Big Al
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

Joe & Tony,
The lower yock can be used to gain the skills for the upper but you really have to make it hard. Maybe trying moves you don't think you can make. Upstream moves also help alot because any small mistake you make is amplified, where as if it was the same mistake on a downstream move it would go unnoticed. On the upper yock even small mistakes even come at a cost. One LY move to try if you haven't is 1st door on the left in railroad rapid. It's in the left channel below the ledge. There's basically two doors you can duck into on the left, the 1st being the harder of the two. You can come back out the 2nd door at first but when you're comfortable try coming back out the 1st also, it's not easy but it's totally doable. Also good levels, 3'-4', help to get a feel of being pushed and needing to DRIVE your boat instead of just riding in it, you have to be very aggressive. I have probably around 20 UY runs this season so far and while I know it's not the hardest run in the world it is not to be taken lightly, when something goes wrong it can really go wrong. I can have 10 smooth (ok decent) runs down there and on the 11th get my azz handed to me and it doesn't suprise me. There's times when you couldn't ask for a better line and you still get abused. I'm not trying to discourage you guys but I also don't want to see anyone get hurt or try before they're ready because that could really put a damper on your boating. One final note: If you have to ask someone if you're ready to do a run of this level then you're probably not. You need to be 100 percent sure in your own ability and confident, this isn't the jump from class 2 to class 3. It doesn't hurt to be comfortable getting your butt kicked during a swim also. GOOD LUCK.
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

lengthy-thats the one some call devils doorway? then you come out the second doorway and there's even an attainment move to go back around again. thats a neat spot. flipped there once and while rolling got my shaft hand and paddle shaft both jammed in a crack, really had to yank to get out :o . will you be around falls fest weekend?
Joe
Lengthy
C Guru

Post by Lengthy »

I may be around for a loop run that sat. eve. and maybe sunday but it's too early for me to know yet. I'm not paying to go over the falls, I paid the first year and the next time I give money for that it'll be because I got a fine. What kind of law is allowed to be broken if you pay them money. Isn't that just paying your fine up front?
Louie

Post by Louie »

See lenghty there is sumthin we agree on. I ain't never paid to do the Cheoah and I don't pay to do the Nanty. I pay my fair share of Federal and State Taxes I don't see the hikers and bird watchers payin twice. Do they really charge to run the falls? If you are from out of town do you think they would extradite back?
gumpy
C Maven

Post by gumpy »

you know, every time i'm there i think why not just do it? include it in the loop. if you do it quickly probably go unnoticed. never really scouted to see how visible to rangers you'd be, but if i left my yellow boat home, took my gf's camo spark... :roll: i could be like big al and go over upside down, just look like a log 8)
Joe
Eli
The Canoe Guru - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by Eli »

Back when I was a raft guide on the Yough, the accepted way to run the falls was to swim it from the top. This way you could run and hide from the Fun Police and you didn't have to worry about your boat being confiscated if you failed to hide while wearing the latest florescent style.

I've seen Louie swim over Baby Falls, but I haven't seen his evasive maneuvers put to the test...
When in Doubt...Paddle Forward!
www.thecanoeguru.com
Louie

Post by Louie »

Of course you haven't if I let people see them they would be evasive now would they? You have also never seen me caught. Remember anyone can swim Baby's, now Zwicks on the other hand...well lets just say it a good thing I'm a profesional.
jim gross
CBoats Addict

Gumpy

Post by jim gross »

Gumpy,

Yupper Table and Guides Rock same same.

Big Al,

Yes one does not spend any time in the hole eddying out. Drop half yer bow in, pivot, power out. The second eddy I have stayed maybe 5 seconds waiting for duckies an such exit the line as I will ferry across to the second wave hole and kill speed while I surf across to river right. ;-)

Jim