Hudson Armada Sept 2006 - Thanks!

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

kenneth
CBoats.net Staff

Hudson Armada Sept 2006 - Thanks!

Post by kenneth »

Adam, thanks for organizing the Hudson Armada this year! That was my first time down the Hudson Gorge NOT in a ww raft, and it's certainly a different river solo! Quite the day, quite the trip, and of course it was great to get together with more boaters.
Thanks to those who attended!
NZMatt
Supporting Paddler

Post by NZMatt »

Awesome Kenneth! Good job!
Matt
NZMatt

Hmmm....new country, new rivers...-
Still not enough c-boaters....
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Adam should have him in a Maven by the Spring Armada! :lol:
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

I concurr with Kenneth, thanks Adam for organizing the Hudson Armada! It was well worth the drive from Toronto!
We had a great day on the Hudson on Saturday, interesting rapids, a great landscape, great people to paddle with and interesting weather, too (I haven't paddled too many rapids in a thunderstorm...).
Everyone had lot's of fun , particularly Adam in the Sith.
Sunday's paddle was interesting, too, we started out with trying out some of Adams boats in the flatwater in behind his house.
I have to confess, I swam twice... :oops: ... in flatwater ... :roll: ...!
Adam's Maven is ddefinitely a bit low cut for my weightof ~190 - 195 lbs, upon seallaunching off the dock I went straight into a bow stall and then flipped end over end. After rolling and leveling the boat out, which was quite some work, I had both ends at least 3 inches under water! the cockpit rim was just about lkevel with the water. After fooling around a bit I got some water into the boat and it collected in the bow, sending me into a bowstall. I flipped end over end, rolled up s=traight into a bowstallflipped end over end and so on, and finally gave up and swam. Sara took pictures and video of it all, I am sure it will find it's way onto the site... :wink: ...
Next I tried the Oxygen, with similar results, only here it was stern squirts instead of bowstalls... I guess for now I'll stay with my Acrobat, although I do definitely want to give the full cut Maven a try someday.
I will definitely be back next yea for the Hudson Armada!

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
LEW
C Guru

Post by LEW »

I had a very good time.
Many thanks to Adam and Sara!
We had 10 people on the Gorge Saturday, counting the 4 kayaks in the ADK group. I figure Kenneth (in his ducky) still counts as a CBoater at heart.
Givney's/Soup Strainer was "interesting" in a downpour with thunder and lighting.
Saturday night's dinner was excellent!!! We all went out for ice cream before calling it a day. :D
Only 3 of us paddled the Sacandaga on Sunday. A kayaker asked me why there were so many C-1s on the river? :roll:
Here is a link to the photos Lil'D took:
http://new.photos.yahoo.com/cboater1/al ... 0241#page1
kenneth
CBoats.net Staff

Post by kenneth »

Nice pics, thanks! Wish I could have been there on Sunday. :(
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Lil'D, LEW,

Great pictures! Yep, Kenneth definitely counts as a cboater, I am sure he'll be kneeling as soon as his knee is healed.
LEW, how is your knee doing?

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau