dry tops

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

space-katet
C Boater

dry tops

Post by space-katet »

My kayaking friends are urging me to make the plunge and buy a dry top this year (usually I just layer up with a raincoat on top- not exactly effective.) My question is, if I'm paddling an open canoe, won't I get wet anyway when the water seeps up through my wetsuit?

just curious!
Jim P
C Guru

must be yaker friends

Post by Jim P »

If you are paddling an OC, a drytop will do fine to keep the spray off. But it is overkill, you don't need the wirist gaskets since as you paddle water does not drip down your paddle to your hands into your shirt to pool in your elbows, like your 2 bladed friends. You don't need the neck gasket since once you go over all the latex in the world around your neck and wrists won't keep you dry from the water entering from below.

If you plan to be always upright, a less expensive paddle jacket whoulf be fine to keep off spray and wind, otherwise go with the full drysuit.

Of course if you are paddling in winter conditions - those friends of yours should be wearing drysuits too. If you need to be rescued and they are wearing neo shorts under a drytop they will be pretty worthless FAST if they need to stand in ice cold water to help you. As they say dress for the swim - its also dress for the rescue.
bald1
Pain Boater

Post by bald1 »

Dry suit. A dry top in an open boat is just a heavy duty splash top.

Although a dry suit is a huge investment, it is worth it to paddle "comfortably" year round.
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Drytops in open boats are, unless you are also wearing a pair of dry bibs or so that interlocks really well with, pretty useless in an open boat, as you will get water seeping in around the waist.
If you want to stay dry in an open boat, get a drysuit instead!

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau
jscottl67
CBoats Addict

Post by jscottl67 »

Definitely get a dry suit, will be money well spent. You will have a lot more fun paddling when you don't have to concentrate on staying warm and dry.

About a year ago (a week before my drysuit came in) I spent a cool (highs around 50F) day on the Nantahala shivering. The guy I was paddling with had on his dry suit...he took a break and took a dip to cool off...instant convert.
Oci-One Kanubi
C Guru

And when you get that drysuit...

Post by Oci-One Kanubi »

...be sure to order (A) latex or neoprene footies. Latex gaskets cut off the circulation to the feet, and they get really, really cold without all that warm blood flowing through them, and (b) a "relief zipper", because without one, it is such a pain to take a leak (and you get so cold doing so) that you will be tempted to stop hydrating before you put on the river, and will put yerself at risk of dehydration.

Those two "features" cost about $100 each, but they are so important that they should be standard on every drysuit. Get 'em.
-Richard, His Kanubic Travesty
--
Nothing really matters except Boats, Sex, and Rock'n'Roll
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

Down here in the sunny south, I've paddled for a long time with a dry (or semidry) top and either paddling pants or neoprene pants and dive booties. The seal isn't perfect, but with my proportions the waist usually tucks well into the double tunnel of the top and the cuffs tuck well into the booties. Yes, some water gets in, but if you are paddling the southern appalachians, you might get by for a while or on warmer days. Or, like my hot blooded self, you might get by even on the cold ones. The recent addition of neoprene pants was a big step up from soggy polypro...
AJ
CBoats Addict

Post by AJ »

In Colorado the water is always cold. I hate to be cold and being cold limits me wanting to play and trying to roll in the river or risking harder moves due to the possiblity of going over and getting cold.

Also, nothing worse then setting up in 80-90 degree full sun weather in the morning, shuttling, and then putting on in 60 degree weather with clouds, wind, rain, or thunder storms. I can't tell you how many times that this has happened to me. Colorado mornings are nice and then the afternoon clouds and stroms come in.

When the air is warm and the chance of afternoon thunders storms are low, I use a semi drytop and hydroskin pants. I do get wet when rolling or going over, but I usually still feel warm.

I also have a dry suit. I wear it, when the temps are cool to begin with or when there is a hint of rain or cooler temps coming in. You can always get in the water to cool off.

Jim P. is right, I have learned to dress to get wet, for the swim, and also for the rescue.
NateOC
Pain Boater

Post by NateOC »

Kate,

I typically use a drytop (which I only even own for when I'm paddling the C-1) along with neoprene pants/paddling pants through early November--specifically the Tohickon release. After that, if it's open boating, dry suits are the way to go, albeit a little bulkier, definitely drier and warmer. Many people I know start using a dry suit sometime in October in this area, but that's a matter of personal preference. If it's a matter of one or the other, definitely go for the dry suit. Immersion Research just came out with a new one that looks pretty nice.

However, if you're planning on taking up c-1 or kayak (god forbid :) ) maybe consider a) a dry suit with a skirt tunnel or b) a good drytop with a tunnel and good paddling pants that will seal together nicely.

Nate
bobthepainter
Pain Boater

Post by bobthepainter »

anyone have the boots in your dry suit?
space-katet
C Boater

thanks!

Post by space-katet »

okay, I really wasn't even thinking of a drysuit yet, but you all may have convinced me. I do get cold really easily. I've never been a winter paddler though (March-November) but maybe it's time to start. Maybe I'll get a spray jacket and a drysuit, too. That will mean a longer wait until a new boat, though.....

and Nate, I might make it to the Fiddler's Elbow slalom, so maybe I'll see you there! (saw the threads praising your style on the PCC boards)
Mike W.
CBoats.net Staff

Post by Mike W. »

Think of the dry-suit as safety gear. There are 3 things that you must have: 1 - breathable material, 2 - releif zipper, 3 - Gore-Tex socks. The breathable material will keep you drier, which means warmer. If you don't get the relief zipper you have to take off you helmet & life-jacket, then take the suit half way off to pee. Gore-Tex socks are more comfortable, allow better blood flow & make the suit easier to get on & off. Get it a little big so you can layer underneith.

My 1st suit was a Stohlquist. It was a little drier than the Kokotat that I have now.

If you stick w/ just a top, look at Level 6. I got one this spring & love it. It's pretty heavy material & is real dry. I broke my paddle & swam w/ it on. I had not tightened the waist straps & got less than a cup of water in the top.
Kelly-Rand
CBoats Addict

Post by Kelly-Rand »

For me I had to do the drytop/bib combo as the drysuits did not allow me full extension. I could not reach out as far with the paddle. I know Martin is taller than I so I am curious as to whether he lives with the limited reach or has found a manufacturer for tall not big people.

Jim
Jim KR

"with single blade in hand
a C-1 I will stand"
sbroam
CBoats.net Staff

Post by sbroam »

A couple of us have wondered why they don't put *neoprene* feet in dry suits - they should be watertight but more durable than latex or goretex for walking on. Any downside to neoprene for feet?
the great gonzo
Paddling Benefactor

Post by the great gonzo »

Jim,

No limited reach for me. I simply got the size that fits lengthwise, i.e. that accoomodates my 36"ineam and my long arms, which is a size XXL, at least from Kokatat, and just suck the excess air out. I usually look like I was shrink wrapped :roll: , but at least I am dry and warm 8) . I think though that Kokatat, as well as Stohquist will make a drysuit to measure, sor some additional moolah, of course.

Scott, think Neoprene wouuld work as well, but layering socks on your feer and getting into booties (I am uding different models, depending on whether I am paddling a low volume C1 or an open boat) is definitely easier with goretex socks.

martin a.k.a. the great gonzo!
Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing - Henry David Thoreau