Riot Magnum80 C1 conversion

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Riot Magnum80 C1 conversion

Post by marclamenace »

Hi folks,

Does anyone has an idea on this conversion? Would it be any good for a creeker boat?

The specs looks nice to me at 8'4" 80 gallons the hull looks potentially interesting... I may have a good price on empty hulls from the bankrupcy yard sale on thursday so...

Let me know! Don't want to make my wife angry and my prelude jealous for nothing!

Marc.
marclamenace
CBoats Addict

Post by marclamenace »

Really? Nobody has a clue? I think the magnum 80 is a new boat (they had only magnum 72 before I think?) maybe that's why...

But maybe somebody has feedback on the 72?

The hull shape looks a lot like the Jefe to me... maybe more rocker right from the middle.

I may give it a shot anyways if nobody can help...

Marc.
EsquifVince
Esquif - CBoats.net Sponsor

Post by EsquifVince »

Hey Marc,

Don't want to burst your bubble, but as an ex Riot employee, I can tell you there's not much left there in terms of good WW boats... The shells that are still there are in really bad shape. I personnaly shipped all the remaining shells that were in good shape to Joe Mosquera in Asheville NC for warranty cases. Some of the shells I shipped him didn't have the seat inserts, so I told him to sell them as C-1 shells, you could check with him if he still has some. You can find him easily on Boatertalk...

I've suggested to my superior that the remaining shells should be destroyed as they were unsafe from my point of view, but who knows, if you're not too far, maybe I missed one and you can still find a good one, but inspect them carefully, I wouldn't want to know that someone got hurt using a badly blemish undercooked/overcooked, underweight/too thin boat.

As for the Magnum as a C-1, I've never paddle it myself, I was using a Thunder 76 C-1 (which I loved and is for sale by the way...), but a lot of paddling buddies were using the Magnum 72 and 80 C-1 and everyone loved it!

A general comment about the Magnums as a kayak was that it wants to be driven like a sports car, being pro-active, not defensive, and that you don't want to be leaning too much backward... two things that single bladers shouldn't find hard to do!

Vincent
Esquif Canoes
Mr Marc
Pain Boater

Post by Mr Marc »

Bonjour Marc,

Je crois que tu devrais t'informer à Ambroise chez Canots Légaré à Québec. Je crois qu'ils ont transformé quelques magnums en C1. J'ai un ami qui fait du creek avec un magnum 80 et il semble apprécier.

Marc Sauvé
NZ C1er
C Boater

Riot Magnum C1

Post by NZ C1er »

I have converted a Magnum 72 and been using it for 15 months, my short evaluation is, nice hull pitty about the plastic...The Magnum is at the performance end of the creek boat spectrum, its a real paddlers boat, it is not for boaters looking for something really stable to brace your way down the river, it gets its stability from being moved. I like it as a boat for creeking and for general boating, it is fast, easy to roal, stable enough so long as one leans forward or moves it.
The nicest thing for me is the way the boat feels on the water,( it feels light and responsive for a creeker) this is caused I think by the interesting hull shape and the opportunity that this provides to use the water by bringing in to play the the different features by weight change , some creekers are too round and blunt for my liking and a bit of edge is needed to put the boat where I want it and use the river. It does not have the great forward and back weight distribution response of a purpose designed C1 like the Fink but it does prety well for a conversion, the magnum is not the sharpest eddier, the Burn is better in this respect and a Burn has way better secondry stability but the Magnum can put a smile on your dial and is more fun.
The biggest bug for me with the boat is the plastic, I had the first welding done after just six months for a split hull then at ten months right allong the inside of the groves that run allong either side from centre to the back of the boat and now again to the plastic welder with a split cockpit.
I would not buy another Riot boat (supposing they make more) because of the quality of the plastic, I have seen so many split Magnums.
Thats my thoughts on the Magnum72, perhaps a little late for a Riot boat but as I had not read a Magnum C1 report it may be of use to someone.