viper 11 vs option

Decked Canoes, Open Canoes, as long as they're canoes!

Moderators: kenneth, sbroam, TheKrikkitWars, Mike W., Sir Adam, KNeal, PAC, adamin

dsmoake
C Boater

viper 11 vs option

Post by dsmoake »

I am in the market for a new boat but I do have any other boats locally to try. I have a Maxim right now but would like something with more stability(I have my swims down :D ). I am considering an option because I want a short plastic boat. Next weekend I will have a chance to paddle a Viper 11. I am wondering how the option will compare to the viper in stability, rolling, speed, and so on. I know it will be like comparing apples and oranges but do your best. Thanks for the advice,
Dave
Creeker
CBoats Addict

Re: viper 11 vs option

Post by Creeker »

The Option will be slower as its shorter. I'm gonna bet that you notice a big improvement in stability going to the viper, there will be an equally improved bump up in stability from the viper to the Option.... but it will be slower by alot. I could never come close to keeping up with cheek's (v11) in a colorado river rapid in my Option. he would power the V11 to make it perform in big rapids and leave me behind in the dust. The Options slow factor is not a big negative within that class of PE canoes < 9ft.
BlueFloater
c

Post by BlueFloater »

If you're looking for stability, the Option is much more foregiving than the V11. I had my worst day ever on the river in a V11 and was ready to quit. My next outing I was in an Option and was hooked. I went from zero whitewater experience to paddling the Ocoee on my 16th day on any river. That's how much confidence the Option gave me.
PAC
CBoats.net Staff

Post by PAC »

I like both boats and both have pros and cons but overall I'd say both are good choices ...but (always that "but") what are you going to be paddling (class, creek, big, rocky, etc.)?
Paul C.
Cboats Moderator
Official TOG Member (Team Old Guy)!
dsmoake
C Boater

Post by dsmoake »

Mostly class III rivers but low water a majority of the time(200-500 cfs). It is still 80 degrees here in AZ and I can't remember the last time it rained so not much is flowing. There is a small travertine stream 1 1/2 hours away with only a base flow of 67 cfs which is supposed to be a blast in a hard shell with a multitude of drops from 3 to 20 feet. I can't wait to give it a try. The option would be perfect for it.

How does the viper compare to the option in rolling?
dsmoake
C Boater

Post by dsmoake »

Fossil creek pics
http://www.paddleon.net/PaddleOnImages. ... lCreek.xml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
John Coraor
CBoats Addict

Post by John Coraor »

dsmoake wrote:Fossil creek pics
http://www.paddleon.net/PaddleOnImages. ... lCreek.xml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ahhhhhh, brings back memories of paddling in the Arizona desert. We only lived in the Valley for 3 years, but I do recall enjoying day trips on the upper Salt from Highway 60 to Mescal Rapid, as well as few other runs in the area. Unfortunately, as temporary transplants to the area, we didn't discover Fossil Creek before our departure.

John
Paddle Power
C Maven

Post by Paddle Power »

For creek/boofing, the option would be better than the viper.
Brian
http://www.JohnstonPursuits.ca" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;